[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Small things you can do to save money

whomper

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it?? Do you BK it every day?

It costs me more than that to eat fast-casual in Colorado.

But I do bring my lunch most days. My wife rules.

I go for about 10-12 a day depending on where we go. Fridays we usually go to a diner that runs a little higher but during the week Its deli sandwiches/ Chinese food/ chicken cesar salads/ pizza..Nothing too crazy.

BJ your are scary sometimes :D

The KIrkland brand of food is made by Diamond Brand who also makes Natural Balance, Canidae and Chicken Soup that I mentioned as premium brands in that thread. If you look at the ingredients, the Chicken Soup and Kirkland brand are almost identical. I'm actually surprised I didn't mention if on a budget buy Kirkland as I have in other forums. Diamond Brand also makes the Taste of the Wild grain free kibble I have been buying. They make about 50% of the premium brands out there. They make them for the companies who farm out the processing. The other premium brands are made under their own roof, which certainly is a plus for quaility control.

It is certainly a big step above the store brands like Purina, Alpo, Kal Kan and Beneful to name a few that have more carbs then protein, and full of bad preservatives. Kirkland, IMO is a step above Nutro and Science Diet.

My concern with the Kirkland brand is the volume that Costco probably buys and how long the bags sit in a hot warehouse which will degrade and potentially spoil the food. Since it is sealed I don't know if it really has an effect. This was actually brought up to me when I asked the sales rep for the Chicken Soup brand, when I asked him what the real difference between the two brands, and that was the answer he came up with. Maybe this is even why I left it out of the thread on quality pet foods-don't know since my memory is not as good as BJ's :D

Contemplating taking my wife's Diesel Jetta off the grid by converting it and running it off the fryer oil we generate from the restaurant, but that will take some time to pay for itself. The good news is that we have a guy come to the restaurant once a week to put our oil through a very fancy filter to extend the life and I'm going to pay him a bit to filter the spent oil as well so she'll be using higher quality oil than the rest of the hippies and shouldn't come across some of the problems they tend to.

Hey, if you need some guidance on "converting" the Jetta, send me a PM. I have a buddy that has worked with a group that has finalized a system for the garage, blah, blah, blah. Pretty impressive and you don't really have to do much to convert a diesel since it can already run on veggie oil stuff.

Need to cut way back on eating out. Do it WAY too much. If I got serious could/should be able to cut out even $30 - $50 week = $1,560 - $2,600 year.

:D You guys come out of your house?

Besides Atomic's electric car adventure, is anyone actually driving less, or in some other way using less gasoline than they have in the previous year or two?

Absolutely, I'm traveling a whole lot more for work! three to four days a week (with a week in Austria coming up)...I'm back to filling up once every couple of weeks like when I worked out of the house! :D

The KIrkland brand of food is made by Diamond Brand who also makes Natural Balance, Canidae and Chicken Soup that I mentioned as premium brands in that thread. If you look at the ingredients, the Chicken Soup and Kirkland brand are almost identical. I'm actually surprised I didn't mention if on a budget buy Kirkland as I have in other forums. Diamond Brand also makes the Taste of the Wild grain free kibble I have been buying. They make about 50% of the premium brands out there. They make them for the companies who farm out the processing. The other premium brands are made under their own roof, which certainly is a plus for quaility control.

Hey Sugar, what do you think of Wellness and Innova? A couple of years ago, I was talking to my Mom about pet foods and she said "why spend $10 less a month when you could get the best stuff for your pet?". I was like...:D...yeah, I am a cheap bassturd...why wouldn't I? Anyway, it really resonated with me since it is the only food my cats eat and shouldn't I at least make it the best I could since they don't have a choice like I do when I eat? :wacko:

AAAaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha....

You have a 40 thousand dollar piece of crap. :wacko::D

No, I have a six thousand dollar utility vehicle in excellent shape at my disposal when I need it. It was very comfortable over the 1700 miles I put on it this week and was nice to have in the white out storm we drove through outside West Yellowstone yesterday. :D

Let me know if you're electric car needs a tow to an outlet - I am here to serve.

No, I have a six thousand dollar utility vehicle in excellent shape at my disposal when I need it. It was very comfortable over the 1700 miles I put on it this week and was nice to have in the white out storm we drove through outside West Yellowstone yesterday. :D

Let me know if you're electric car needs a tow to an outlet - I am here to serve.

When I need a tow, I'll call 2 friends and push. With 2 other people, we can do with with beers in our free hands.

I love how when you question people on the purchase of a small-penis masking super-stupid SUV, the excuses come out. "Have to agree here the snow!" Yeah, I'm from CT and CO. I have no idea what snow is like. :wacko:

When I need a tow, I'll call 2 friends and push. With 2 other people, we can do with with beers in our free hands.

I love how when you question people on the purchase of a small-penis masking super-stupid SUV, the excuses come out. "Have to agree here the snow!" Yeah, I'm from CT and CO. I have no idea what snow is like. :wacko:

:DDon't be a dumbass. I have a big SUV because I have a large family and we enjoy outdoor activities that require a 4x4 and ground clearance. I also have to pull heavy trailers (camp, horse, 4-wheelers and firewood) on occasion. I think I'm doing the responsible and economical thing by not using this truck as my daily driver, opting instead for a Honda that gets 30+ mpg. Do you really have a problem with that, or are you merely stumbling backward over your previous assumption that I spent $40k on a vehicle I don't drive a lot?

Do us all a favor and can the angry leprechaun routine and pour yourself into your electric car. That's a worthy pursuit, go with it.

Hey, if you need some guidance on "converting" the Jetta, send me a PM. I have a buddy that has worked with a group that has finalized a system for the garage, blah, blah, blah. Pretty impressive and you don't really have to do much to convert a diesel since it can already run on veggie oil stuff.

:D You guys come out of your house?

Absolutely, I'm traveling a whole lot more for work! three to four days a week (with a week in Austria coming up)...I'm back to filling up once every couple of weeks like when I worked out of the house! :D

Hey Sugar, what do you think of Wellness and Innova? A couple of years ago, I was talking to my Mom about pet foods and she said "why spend $10 less a month when you could get the best stuff for your pet?". I was like...:D...yeah, I am a cheap bassturd...why wouldn't I? Anyway, it really resonated with me since it is the only food my cats eat and shouldn't I at least make it the best I could since they don't have a choice like I do when I eat? :wacko:

Wellness and Innova are both good brands. I feel Wellness is a little better.as a dog food because it uses a little less grain. I really don't know much about quality cat foods as much as dog foods, except you don't want to fill your cat up with fillers, grains, carbs and sugar either.

how many SUVs have you owned again, tiny?

I have owned exactly one.

But I was speaking specifically of the Hummer/Tahoe/Suburban variety of super-large screams-for-attention vehicles. When people see them, they giggle imagining the incredible insecurities that led to such a decision.

I have owned exactly one.

that is a BALD FACED LIIIEEEEEEE!!!

vitara + rodeo = 2.

But I was speaking specifically of the Hummer/Tahoe/Suburban variety of super-large screams-for-attention vehicles.

some might say a homemade electric bug is sort of a scream for attention vehicle. :wacko:

and you know, some people DO have big cars because they need them.

that is a BALD FACED LIIIEEEEEEE!!!

vitara + rodeo = 2.

some might say a homemade electric bug is sort of a scream for attention vehicle. :wacko:

and you know, some people DO have big cars because they need them.

Pwnd.

:D

The eating out thing was what first crossed my mind - we rarely do this these days (course the seemingly endless stream of obnoxious people/people's kids in restaurants these days doesn't hurt)....mostly it's take out about once a week, and even that isn't usually anything flashy (eg luckily one of the best Chinese places in town is very close and pretty cheap).

Smart grocery shopping/meal planning is the other thing. There are a lot of good-tasting meals you can make relatively inexpensively, and also in many cases opting for no-name brands over the high-dollar, highly advertised (and highly overrated) ones helps too.

Doing activities which require little if any money helps too. Like instead of catching that POS $8 movie w/the $3 popcorn or going out on the town in some other way, ride bikes around the neighborhood or take a walk or play board games at home, have friends over, etc etc.

I have an F150 that gets about 13 mpg. Why?

Because I can afford it. I'm also going up north next week to club some baby seals. While I'm there I'm gonna style my hair with some AquaNet. Followed by disposing of some nuclear waste, hauled to a river by my F150.

Yet you still drink Busch Light. :wacko:

A Vitara is smaller than a a Honda Accord and gets better gas mileage.

I think that perhaps... in an extremely rare and unusual move for you... you may have shifted the argument to a semantic distinction unrelated to the point of my post.

it's a pathetic and womanly SUV, but an SUV nonetheless.

and I'm sorry to shift the "argument" from your whiny sanctimonious browbeating of jimmy neutron. please, as you were....

I have an F150 that gets about 13 mpg. Why?

Because I can afford it. I'm also going up north next week to club some baby seals. While I'm there I'm gonna style my hair with some AquaNet. Followed by disposing of some nuclear waste, hauled to a river by my F150.

I don't think Tom Brady uses aquanet. :wacko:

My wife drives a suburban. I drive a Silverado.

I do have a Ranger and a Nissan but we don't drive them much. They don't seem to fit enough kids.

Gas mileage sucks but my wife drives 7.5 miles round trip and I drive 5 miles round trip to work.

That includes us dropping the kids off daily.

Edited by REZ