[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Birthday money

detlef

So, I got a birthday card from my mom the other day. As she has in the past, she sent me a check. Pretty decent amount of scratch, actually. Obviously, it's a very sweet gesture on her part but it just sort of seems strange now that I'm older. I mean, when I was 20 or so it was huge, but now I just turned 40. Just feels odd to get money from your mom when you're 40.

Do any of you still get money from your parents for your birthday?

So, I got a birthday card from my mom the other day. As she has in the past, she sent me a check. Pretty decent amount of scratch, actually. Obviously, it's a very sweet gesture on her part but it just sort of seems strange now that I'm older. I mean, when I was 20 or so it was huge, but now I just turned 40. Just feels odd to get money from your mom when you're 40.

It depends, usually. But this year Dad bought me a new helmet for the motorcycle. What I get a kick out of is the $10 from Grandma. Don't have the heart to tell her not to bother, but :wacko:

My folks alternate between a gift card (Cabelas) and a gift. Not quite cash, but I'm also a little :wacko: about their generosity as I near 40. But, my folks taught me that it's important to receive gifts gracefully as well as to give generously - what ya gonna do?

No and it's because I told them to stop. I think that's very much a thing for kids or YOUNG adults ie 20somethings at most. They were bugged about it until I asked when did grandma stop putting money in your birthday cards...only then did they realize how childish it seemed and made me feel (but are still bugged about it). It's like this spoiled newer generations thing which IMO has gone way too far and is outright silly (despite the good intent behind it) when you're doing it for people older than that.

Technically, I guess I still get cash. But the understanding is that I'll spend/save it for kid-related stuff.

My folks give us and our spouses cash at Christmas with just the opposite string attached - we're supposed to spend it on ourselves - not the kids or bills. :wacko:

Wife and I still get cash on birthdays from my folks.... Gave up years ago trying to convince them otherwise. Now we just put it aside and use it towards some sort of day trip/outing as a combined mothers day/fathers day gift each year. I think they like the quality family time more than any gift we could get them, and they look forward to the "surprise" destination each year. They never where it will be until we get there.

The flip side is my parents get mad when I try and give them gifts. I dont give them cash but usually a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant or in my moms case the Spa etc and they keep telling me and my brother to stop. They say save your money but I could never let their birthdays or anniversary go without hooking them up with a little something.

For the last 10 years or so the kids and grandkids get money for birthdays and the gifts are for Christmas. The kids get enough to go out to a nice restaurant with their kids and the grandkids get enough to get something they desire. It's got so the grandkids even make plans for it. LOL

When we started the wife told everyone that was they way it would be and everyone seems to just fine with it. It's not "helping out" money... it's go have a good time.... waste it... money. And they take it that way. They make plans accordingly knowing that they have the dinner part taken care of and can use their money for the gift side of things.