[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, my wife gets a new car...

detlef

Her 4 year old Jetta TDI is appraised at about $15K and I think we owe about 5K on it, so we have enough to put towards pretty much whatever car she'd likely want and not see a higher monthly payment. We'd like to spend less than 30K

She certainly likes cars that are fun to drive. They don't need a ton of top-end speed but zip is a plus. She also wants something with good MPG.

Sound like anything you know?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda civic, Mazda, or Hyundai all have great cars with lots of zip and good mileage. I would avoid VW at all costs. I know too many people who have cursed the reliability and service...even the dealership where I got my Mazda and Hyundai (down on Wake Forest Road in Raleigh). They have two large bays for repairs, one for VW, and one for all the other imports.

Her 4 year old Jetta TDI is appraised at about $15K and I think we owe about 5K on it, so we have enough to put towards pretty much whatever car she'd likely want and not see a higher monthly payment. We'd like to spend less than 30K

She certainly likes cars that are fun to drive. They don't need a ton of top-end speed but zip is a plus. She also wants something with good MPG.

Sound like anything you know?

If she can drive a stick, the Maxima is a very fun drive. I absolutely love that car....and with 10K, you can get close to 20K...especially if she doesn't need leather or a moonroof/sunroof, but what fun is that? LOL.

Good Luck.

I think it's amazing that not one American car has been mentioned in this thread.

Yet a company that made it's first crappy gas engine in 1991 has somehow passed by every US Automaker in 15 years.

Not that surprising. What's Ford's answer to what America wants? The Freaking Flex, with it's "eye popping 24 MPG Highway". My volvo wagon is a f'ing tank and gets 21.9 MPG total average and I don't do much highway driving. This is a 10 year old car that I hardly keep in tip top shape. Let's just say that my eyes don't almost pop when I realize "how good" my MPG is.

Oh, I forgot, the Flex comes with different color interior lights to set the right mood. And we wonder why these idiots need a bailout. Right, blame the unions. It's the unions fault that Detroit doesn't have a flipping clue about what kind of car most people are actually looking for.

If she can drive a stick, the Maxima is a very fun drive. I absolutely love that car....and with 10K, you can get close to 20K...especially if she doesn't need leather or a moonroof/sunroof, but what fun is that? LOL.

Good Luck.

She prefers a manual actually, so that's not a problem at all.

Not that surprising. What's Ford's answer to what America wants? The Freaking Flex, with it's "eye popping 24 MPG Highway". My volvo wagon is a f'ing tank and gets 21.9 MPG total average and I don't do much highway driving. This is a 10 year old car that I hardly keep in tip top shape. Let's just say that my eyes don't almost pop when I realize "how good" my MPG is.

not quite a fair comparison, since the flex is essentially a freakin minivan. big vehicle, significantly larger than a vulva wagon.

I think it's amazing that not one American car has been mentioned in this thread.

Yet a company that made it's first crappy gas engine in 1991 has somehow passed by every US Automaker in 15 years.

I don't find this amazing at all. Inferior products, always behind the ball. Can you say bailout?

Also, the new Nissan Altima coupe is sweet and will run forever. The Maxima is even better of course and downright fast, but probably overkill if you're on a budget.

not quite a fair comparison, since the flex is essentially a freakin minivan. big vehicle, significantly larger than a vulva wagon.

It's a v70 so it's not exactly small. The flex seats 7, the volvo seats 5 but with plenty of room in the back with the seats up. Taller? Certainly. Larger? Very likely. Significantly larger? Not a chance. And again, it's not just about cubic feet. Volvos have never been known for being light weight.

Hell, I'm not saying that 24 MPG should be embarrassing for a car like that, but "eye popping" That was the word from the ford site. Eye popping and one of the first things they mentioned. Sorry dude, that's not eye popping.

subaru WRX, acura TSX, civic si, nissan altima/maxima

+1 for Subie's. Like this one:

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?mo...ommand=overview

All wheel drive and 305 ponies.......arrrrgggghhhhh!

Actually the Mazda's that everyone likes are Ford designs. The new 6 and 3 are the Fusion and Focus. And if she liked the Jetta I was going to suggest the Fusion. A little bigger, similar in power and handling, and 30mpg with a 4cyl/5-speed manual. And since a loaded SEL with the base drivetrain stickers around $22/23, you can probably put your ten grand down and get out with $8k financed on a brand new ride. I don't know about the reliability on the new Altima (the first body style was abysmal but that was 15 years ago), but it looks to me to be a lot of car for the money.

Off the thread subject, but the "Flex" is a joke. Talk about political correctness...how about doing something actually fuel efficient? Another lame attempt by US car makers to catch up with what the industry leaders are already doing. Don't do it Det. There are much better cars out there that are suitable to the wife's needs, and fun to drive.

Off the thread subject, but the "Flex" is a joke. Talk about political correctness...how about doing something actually fuel efficient? Another lame attempt by US car makers to catch up with what the industry leaders are already doing. Don't do it Det. There are much better cars out there that are suitable to the wife's needs, and fun to drive.

trust me wasn't in the running at all.

She prefers a manual actually, so that's not a problem at all.

So your wife likes the stick. Sweet.

And it's $7K more than a similarly sized, more fuel efficient, more reliable Hyundai with 3 rows of seats.

Actually the Mazda's that everyone likes are Ford designs. The new 6 and 3 are the Fusion and Focus.

Actually... the Fusion uses a Mazda-designed "Ford" CD3 chassis, and Mazda-designed engine and transmission, not the other way around.

I didn't look into the Focus, but I assume it's the same thing.