[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any sports memorabilia collectors?

kpholmes

Recently been getting in to shopping for sports memorabilia on Ebay...

Very new to it and wanted to see if others had some advice to share, or good places to go with great deals. So far I've only looked at items that come with COAs and the sellers have good feedback.

Any Huddlers into collecting?

Be careful with the ebay stuff. Make sure you read the descriptions closely because sometimes they're not authentic.

I've got an inside connection now on memorabilia mainly because my wife works with Fox Sports on quite a few promos. She's gotten me some cool things.

Be careful with the ebay stuff. Make sure you read the descriptions closely because sometimes they're not authentic.

I've got an inside connection now on memorabilia mainly because my wife works with Fox Sports on quite a few promos. She's gotten me some cool things.

+1

The co-founder and marketing director of Upper Deck is the producer of a show I've done for 2 years. Fraud is EXTREMELY rampant on E-Bay. Do your homework before you buy anything. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

I got a Strahan autographed football/jersey and a Joe Morris autographed football.

Also have a Jerry Grote autographed baseball (catcher for the 69 Mets)

thats about it...unless you count the Scotty Nguyen autographed bobblehead doll i got.

i got a bunch of signed balls, bats, hats, posters. photos, etc.....

my prized collectors item(s) is baseball tobacco cards from the early 1900's,

handed down from my great grandaddy, grandaddy, my dad, and my son gets them after me.

a bunch of other very rare sports cards in the collection too...

never was into buying memorobilia, always got what i got from the players themselves,

that way everything i have has a story with it and of course i know it's authentic...

I buy most of my stuff at charity auctions, and will not buy any of it without a COA. PSA/DNA it the leading authenticator and 95% of my stuff has been authenticated by them. Even if I have another certificate of authenticity I will send an item to PSA/DNA for authentication incase I ever decide to sell it. I've bought a few items really cheap on ebay that I took a gamble on that had COA's from lesser agencies, and they ended up being legit. Just becareful. You can pretty much trust Stiener Sports and Schwartz Sports if they are the dealer and offer a certificate because they have mass signings where they have a guy come in and sign 500 balls or jersey's etc.. If you are going to buy from ebay be very carefull of the wording as others have said. Also, make sure that not only the signature is authentic but what they are signing is authentic. You want a authentic NFL Jersey not a replica (with some of the older players this can't be avoided). Same with Helmets, you don't want replicas.

I love old baseball cards,

+1

I have a Ripken that I actually got from a pack I bought as a kid...there are other HOFers that I have gotten the

same way but Ripken is probably the biggest name...but then again there might be a bigger name or two...

You want a authentic NFL Jersey not a replica (with some of the older players this can't be avoided).

There's basically 3 types of spamshirts:

1. replicas: can come in any shape and size. May have some "official" patches or logos, may not have any.

2. Reebok official replicas = Has the official NFL "Equipment logo" in the center of the neck V, has NFL equipment patch inside the collar, and the NFL equipment patch on the bottom right front of jersey. The official Reebok spamshirts have pseudo elastic fabric, but doesn't really stretch much at all. These may or may not have stitched numbers or names.

3. Game worn spamshirts = the real deal. Has the official NFL "Equipment logo" in the center of the neck V, has NFL equipment patch inside the collar, and the NFL equipment patch on the bottom right front of jersey. Major difference is that game worn spamshirts have real elastically fabric at the shoulders/arms all the way down the sides of the uniforms (to obviously fit over the protective equipment). The other spamshirts don't have the super stretchy elastic. These will have stitched numbers and names.

Edited by Riffraff

From what I've read the top authentication companies are: PSA/DNA, Global Authentication and James Spence Authentication (JSA).

Thoughts?

PSA/DNA is the gold standard. It is the most reputible authenticating company out there.

This is most of my football collection. I think the only thing I don't have a picture of is a helmet signed by Dan Marino and football singed by Jim Brown. I also have a little bit of baseball, a little bit of basketball, and a little bit of hockey. Football makes up about 65% of my collection. My best piece is a helmet worn by Joe Montana in a game, that is signed by Joe, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Roger Craig, Dwight Clark, and John Taylor. My favorite piece a football signed by Walter Payton.

This is most of my football collection. I think the only thing I don't have a picture of is a helmet signed by Dan Marino and football singed by Jim Brown. I also have a little bit of baseball, a little bit of basketball, and a little bit of hockey. Football makes up about 65% of my collection. My best piece is a helmet worn by Joe Montana in a game, that is signed by Joe, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Roger Craig, Dwight Clark, and John Taylor. My favorite piece a football signed by Walter Payton.

Need password to view picture.

Need password to view picture.

Huddle

Edit to add: The ball on top of the Montana Ball is Steve Young. It was signed by a black sharpie instead of silver. My SIL had Steve sign it when he came into a rental store she worked at in Salt Lake. Ironically it is the only one that I don't have verification on. I sent it off to PSA/DNA and they would not say if it was his signature or not, but that it appeared too deliberate.

Edited by Perchoutofwater