[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top team to miss the playoffs

Grits and Shins

I'm in a 12 team league where 4 teams make the playoffs. The league has 2 divisions with a division winner and wild card team out of each division.

Regular season is 14 weeks with the playoffs in week 15 and week 16.

So next week will be the last week of the regular season. We will have a 10-4 team not make the playoffs. It is possible that the team to miss the playoffs will be the 1st or 2nd highest scoring team. That is gonna leave a mark.

Any other teams out there in a similiar spot.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 team league, no divisions, top six get in playoffs, top 2 seeds get 1st round bye, playoffs week 14 to 16.

The 2nd highest scoring team finished 5-8. They have Westbrook and for some reason did not start him this week (probably thought they were already eliminated). Would've been highest scoring team in league and got the #5 seed if he started Westy.

My team is 8-5 and second lowest scoring in the league. I have the #4 seed and will have to play the highest scoring team (#5 seed) in round one.

It's been a crazy year because of NFL parity. Super studs seem to have vanished.

I'm in a 12 team league where 4 teams make the playoffs. The league has 2 divisions with a division winner and wild card team out of each division.

So next week will be the last week of the regular season. We will have a 10-4 team not make the playoffs. It is possible that the team to miss the playoffs will be the 1st or 2nd highest scoring team. That is gonna leave a mark.

:wacko:

yep as I said in the other thread I was leading 195 and change to 179 and change...i was done he had Mario Williams...he beats me I lose out on the div due to a three way tie breaker....then I lose out on the WC due to a tie breaker...oh and I am going to end up as the 3rd highest scoring team in the leauge (1.4 points in back of the 2nd highest scoring team) :D

Yep I am on the ledge...

edit: and yeah it was Mario Williams best performance of the year too :D:D

Edited by keggerz

In a twelve team league I'm currently 8 and 5 and need a week 14 win along with the loss of another team to make the playoffs. My team is pretty stacked and I lead the league in total points. Unfortunately I also lead the league in points scored against. First place takes home $600 bills and second place gets nada. We play 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1Flex, 1TE, 1K, 1Def. My team:

QB Cutler, Hass

RB Barber, Forte, Chris Johnson, C Taylor

WR Marshal, Cal Johnson, H Ward, B Edwards My only trade was Steve Slaton and Heath Miller for Ward and Clark.

TE Dallas Clark

K Vinateri

D Jets, Bucs

It'll be a darn shame if I don't get in the playoffs.

I went 10-3, and missed the playoffs in GMX, a 16 team BOTH league after losing two separate tiebreakers. Three teams in my four team division went 10-3. Seven teams went 9-4 or 10-3 in the league, only six make the playoffs. On the flip side, five teams went 3-10 or worse.

3rd highest points, and had a ten game winning streak at one point.

:wacko::D

-DD21

It's not about how much, its about how many.

Wins > Points

That's true but a few years back I was the top scorer and 6-8. It seemed every loss was to a team that played its best for the year. Forever BAD

That's why I like 6 team playoffs and the last team being the highest scorer remaining.

Edited by Randall

I was the highest scoring team in AOTAOP by 150+ and barely made it in as a Wild card at 8-5. Our division ended up 8-5,8-5,7-6,7-6 very close all year.

This is why, a few years ago, my local leagues added a points wildcard. They are 10-team, 2-division leagues. Our playoff system is now setup as follows:

# 1 seed = Division winner with best record (Overall points is tie-breaker): # 1 seed gets to pick whether they play # 3 or # 4 in round 1.

# 2 seed = Other Division winner

# 3 seed = Team with the best record of the remaining teams (Overall points is tie-breaker)

# 4 seed = Team with the most points of the remaining teams

This system works great and prevents a great team from missing the playoffs.

This is why, a few years ago, my local leagues added a points wildcard. They are 10-team, 2-division leagues. Our playoff system is now setup as follows:

# 1 seed = Division winner with best record (Overall points is tie-breaker): # 1 seed gets to pick whether they play # 3 or # 4 in round 1.

# 2 seed = Other Division winner

# 3 seed = Team with the best record of the remaining teams (Overall points is tie-breaker)

# 4 seed = Team with the most points of the remaining teams

This system works great and prevents a great team from missing the playoffs.

We have two divisions. Division winner plays wildcard from same division so that each division sends a representative to the SB. Unless the league is willing to change that format we can't go to a true wild card or alter the wildcards to award a playoff berth to the high points team.

We have two divisions. Division winner plays wildcard from same division so that each division sends a representative to the SB. Unless the league is willing to change that format we can't go to a true wild card or alter the wildcards to award a playoff berth to the high points team.

To be honest, that doesn't seem like a very good reason to prevent a system that more fairly makes sure the 4 best teams are in the play-offs. JMO.

I would also think that this is as good a chance as you're going to have of changing it since it will be fresh in everyone's minds that a very deserving team was left out of the running.

BoTH - Dugout League

1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLEX/1PK/1DEF

Leading points for and against

Did not make the playoffs with a 7-6 record

Brees, Drew NOS QB

Edwards, Trent BUF QB

Barber, Marion DAL RB

Charles, Jamaal KCC RB

Johnson, Chris TEN RB

Portis, Clinton WAS RB

Torain, Ryan DEN RB

Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Jackson, Vincent SDC WR

Jones, Matt JAC WR

Royal, Eddie DEN WR

Carlson, John SEA TE

Winslow, Kellen CLE TE

Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK

Vikings, Minnesota MIN Def

Edited by yellowdog

I don't see a problem. If you are in a H2H league, playoff seeding is done by wins, not points scored. The NFL doesn't seed playoff teams by points scored, either.

If you think points scored should be a primary determining factor, then you either need to switch to a points league or make one of your wild card criteria points scored based.

Some leagues don't want to be the NBA/NHL and have half the league make the playoffs. It makes the regular season mean a whole lot more.

I suppose. But I would surmise that 90% of 12 team leagues have 3 divisions, thus 3 division winners and 3 wild cards. I am OCD when it comes to FF I I guess :D

I don't see a problem. If you are in a H2H league, playoff seeding is done by wins, not points scored. The NFL doesn't seed playoff teams by points scored, either.

If you think points scored should be a primary determining factor, then you either need to switch to a points league or make one of your wild card criteria points scored based.

That is a complete non-issue and I find it annoying as hell when people bring up that argument in these instances.

If there was a more obvious case of apples to oranges...

Were the NFL to make total points scored an important factor, it would simply reward teams that score more points even if they have crappy Ds. It would, in no way, be a consistently accurate barometer of which teams are best.

In Fantasy, awarding high scoring teams is about as precise a way as you can find for rewarding the best teams. The best teams score a lot of points, the worst teams don't. Plain and simple. Winning a low scoring game is not a sign of grit, determination, or great D. It's a sign of being lucky enough that you happened to play a team that had a crappier day than you did.

H2H makes it more fun because it gives you something specific to root for every week. I suppose it also rewards teams that put forth consistent efforts rather than ones that have streaky players (though there's a better way than simple H2H to factor this in). If you want to make an argument for H2H over points, that's fine. Just don't point to the NFL as any justification because the argument doesn't transfer in this situation.

That's why I'm an advocate of having some of the spots filled by comparing H2H but not all of them. As was suggested above. There's something entertaining about allowing that lucky team that keeps winning despite not scoring much into the big dance, but this at least assures that nobody gets hosed. Hell, in this case, dude put up a good record and scored points and still got hosed.

Certainly it is too late this year for that league to do so. But I do see "a problem".

Some leagues don't want to be the NBA/NHL and have half the league make the playoffs. It makes the regular season mean a whole lot more.

4 teams can make the playoff run more dynamic. In Ladder, Semi Pro, Half Hennessey started 1-5 and won 6 in a row to lose last week. The last 3 weeks of the season he is playing the top 3 teams. This week he needs to win to get in.

I like 6 teams but 4 can be more dramatic.

In Fantasy, awarding high scoring teams is about as precise a way as you can find for rewarding the best teams. The best teams score a lot of points, the worst teams don't. Plain and simple.

That's a bogus argument. One team can post astronomical scores in a few weeks and be a top scoring team, yet be weaker for the overall scope of the season than other teams. FF is about depth as well as star power. Can a team survive injuries and make improvements as the season proceeds is a critical part of the FF experience.

So its plainly isn't as "plain and simple" as you seem to think.

Of course you do. That happens when people don't seem to agree in lockstep with you.

That's funny, they also tend to try to lend their baseless arguments some credence by saying that I disregard anything that isn't "lockstep" with me. That's where they, and you, are wrong.

It couldn't be the fact that you have no point at all. Hell no.

Seriously, I'm all ears. Explain to me why your NFL argument holds any water at all here.

12 Team Local league, 4 make the playoffs. I am the highest scoring team in the league but i'm 5-8. Mainly because i also lead the league in PA (1275) by a large margin. Just goes to show you how much luck plays a factor in FF. Week in and week out i seem to play a team that scores their high for the year. :wacko: Only saving grace is that i may win $300 if i can hold onto the lead. We award $200 for highest points total and $100 for highest 1 week total which i have.

I also checked my all play record and the guy with the best record 10-3 and 2nd most points is 99-44 (PA 915), i'm 98-45 (PA 1275), 3rd is 91-52 (PA 971) no one else is even close.