[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Military Jet Crashes in San Diego

BiggieFries

:wacko: I'm gonna be down that way on Thursday. I'm there every month to inspect some client's projects in the area. I always see fighter and other military aircraft in the area... sometimes getting lucky and watching them land right above me as I drive up/down I-805. I'm assuming this didn't happen in or near one of our projects... I think I would have heard something before this.

Still.... wow...

Ouch.

Given the proximity of some of these bases to residential areas, in a sense it's remarkable that accidents like this don't happen more often (and thank goodness they don't).

Those pilots are trained to ditch in the ocean there if at all possible.

Sure wish Chargerz would check in.

Those pilots are trained to ditch in the ocean there if at all possible.

Sure wish Chargerz would check in.

I think the good Doc lives a good deal south and west of this site, but he may have some local flavor for us. I think the n00b taznib is down that way as well.

Is slug still down in Oceanside? Tell him we miss his charm. :wacko:

I think the good Doc lives a good deal south and west of this site, but he may have some local flavor for us. I think the n00b taznib is down that way as well.

Not sure where he works though.... And I always feel better when he checks in after something happens in socal.

Yes, slug still living in Oceanside. I will give him the word. :D

I'm about 20 minutes south of the crash site. They still have the I-805 blocked off in both directions between Miramar Rd and Garfield. The pilot went down roughly 2 miles from Miramar Naval Air Station. Last I heard they had evacuated 12 homes surrounding the site and several homes have been heavily damaged. No word on any fatalities/injuries.

Hey Darin...next time you come down this way, hit me up if you have time to break off for a drink or two.

Edit: watching the news coverage now. 2 civilian casualties and 2 unaccounted for. Pilot ejected about 200-300ft safely with no significant injuries. The crash site off Genesee Avenue near the I-805 (University City). Watching the live footage, the homes do not look like a recent development, rather an older established residential neighborhood.

Lady who is being interviewed live just said she was first person to approach pilot after seeing him float down into a tree. Pilot told her "I was flying on 1 engine for at least a mile".......ooops...the military isn't gonna like that getting out.

Edited by tazinib1

I'm about 20 minutes south of the crash site. They still have the I-805 blocked off in both directions between Miramar Rd and Garfield. The pilot went down roughly 2 miles from Miramar Naval Air Station. Last I heard they had evacuated 12 homes surrounding the site and several homes have been heavily damaged. No word on any fatalities/injuries.

Hey Darin...next time you come down this way, hit me up if you have time to break off for a drink or two.

Edit: watching the news coverage now. 2 civilian casualties and 2 unaccounted for. Pilot ejected about 200-300ft safely with no significant injuries. The crash site off Genesee Avenue near the I-805 (University City). Watching the live footage, the homes do not look like a recent development, rather an older established residential neighborhood.

Lady who is being interviewed live just said she was first person to approach pilot after seeing him float down into a tree. Pilot told her "I was flying on 1 engine for at least a mile".......ooops...the military isn't gonna like that getting out.

First things first, God that is horrible.... hopefully there are no more casualties.

Secondly.... unfortunately I'm not down that way but for a few hours to inspect a couple projects in Santee and the 4S Ranch area. Otherwise I'd love to grab a beer or 2. Oh, who are we kidding, it'd be more like 15. :wacko: Good thing I'd have a place to crash in Vista/San Marcos. :D I'll let you know, maybe in a few months. :D:D

First things first, God that is horrible.... hopefully there are no more casualties.

Secondly.... unfortunately I'm not down that way but for a few hours to inspect a couple projects in Santee and the 4S Ranch area. Otherwise I'd love to grab a beer or 2. Oh, who are we kidding, it'd be more like 15. :wacko: Good thing I'd have a place to crash in Vista/San Marcos. :D I'll let you know, maybe in a few months. :D:D

I had a feeling tha'ts what would transpire lol. :D

Apparently, the main crash totally demolished 2 homes, killing 2 residents inside 1 home with 2 more residents unaccounted for.

These types of crashes are pretty rare, although they do happen. Usually a pilot will divert his aircraft back to sea. But with 1 engine, its pretty clear the pilot didn't have a major list of alternatives.

The aircraft is an F/A-18 Hornet coming in from the USS Abraham Lincoln on a training mission to Miramar Naval Air Station.

Edited by tazinib1

I had a feeling tha'ts what would transpire lol. :wacko:

Apparently, the main crash totally demolished 2 homes, killing 2 residents inside 1 home with 2 more residents unaccounted for.

These types of crashes are pretty rare, although they do happen. Usually a pilot will divert his aircraft back to sea. But with 1 engine, its pretty clear the pilot didn't have a major list of alternatives.

The aircraft is an F/A-18 Hornet coming in from the USS Abraham Lincoln on a training mission to Miramar Naval Air Station.

I see those suckers fly over me on the 805 all the time - well not all the time, but a few times when I've been down there.

Where in SD are you?

And yeah, have to mention that I'll definitely be thinking of the affected families here... :D

I see those suckers fly over me on the 805 all the time - well not all the time, but a few times when I've been down there.

Where in SD are you?

And yeah, have to mention that I'll definitely be thinking of the affected families here... :wacko:

I'm about as far south as you can get. Imperial Beach

They just reported a 3rd fatality from the same home. :D

I had a feeling tha'ts what would transpire lol. :wacko:

all this is speculation on my part but planes can fly with only one engine, sounds to me like his plane was AFU and he was trying to land it. Engines drive the gearbox which creates Hyd/Elect power...he could of been returning to base and the last engine gave out then lost complete control. I hope for the pilots sake there was nothing he could of possibly done, cant imagine having to live with that.

I'm amazed that this barely seemed to get a mention in the news till today (that I saw anyway).

Wow - talk about taking the high road. That poor father. Props to him for not lashing out in anger (as many of us would and understandably so):

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,464729,00.html

Edited by BeeR

I'm amazed that this barely seemed to get a mention in the news till today (that I saw anyway).

Wow - talk about taking the high road. That poor father. Props to him for not lashing out in anger (as many of us would and understandably so):

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,464729,00.html

I was just about to post this Beer...unreal how he forgave like that. This man lost his wife, a newborn and a toddler, as well as his mother in law. And yet, he is praying for the pilot, so that he does not get into trouble.

That is forgiveness, and makes me feel ashamed with some of the petty grudges I have held. This poor man...

I was just about to post this Beer...unreal how he forgave like that. This man lost his wife, a newborn and a toddler, as well as his mother in law. And yet, he is praying for the pilot, so that he does not get into trouble.

That is forgiveness, and makes me feel ashamed with some of the petty grudges I have held. This poor man...

Wow. I pray he truly feels this way and can continue to find acceptance and peace in a truly heart wrenching situation.

I used this story with my class today. I used it to teach reactions to unfair situations. I had students write at the beginning about a time they did not get what they wanted. I then had them write whether it was fair or unfair. Then I had them write their reaction and whether it was fair or unfair. Finally we read this story and discussed the man's reaction. Pretty powerful stuff. I even had a student ask if he could take the article home to talk it over with his mom.

I used this story with my class today. I used it to teach reactions to unfair situations. I had students write at the beginning about a time they did not get what they wanted. I then had them write whether it was fair or unfair. Then I had them write their reaction and whether it was fair or unfair. Finally we read this story and discussed the man's reaction. Pretty powerful stuff. I even had a student ask if he could take the article home to talk it over with his mom.

Now THAT'S education how it SHOULD be ie kids actually engaging their brains (more so emotionally than analytically in this case, but still) and with something they have a vested interest in to boot vs just memorizing whatever is required to get by on the standardized test. Not saying facts and figures don't have their value, but major props for this.

Edited by BeeR