[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What would you do?

detlef

In short, our housekeeper gave us a Christmas gift this year that we absolutely don't want. It's a little wine glass stand that comes with four small wine glasses. Regardless, we have absolutely no use for it and are not into clutter. This, by definition, is clutter.

Now, my mom sends us this type of thing all the time. No biggie. She lives 3000 miles away. We just take it to goodwill or something. My mom doesn't clean our home every 2 weeks. I mean, girl's gonna notice it's gone if we get rid of it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lemme get this straight - you're whining about a gift that won't cost you anything or put you out at all?

If she gave you a Grover Cleveland would you complain because you had to get change?

You obviously don't have it straight. Thanks for playing though. In fact, your breakdown is about as stupid a thing as I have read in a week.

I'm not complaining that she didn't give us a nicer gift because, honestly, a card or nothing at all would have been plenty as far as I'm concerned.

You obviously don't have it straight. Thanks for playing though. In fact, your breakdown is about as stupid a thing as I have read in a week.

I'm not complaining that she didn't give us a nicer gift because, honestly, a card or nothing at all would have been plenty as far as I'm concerned.

Fair enough. I'm not the uppity snob whining about looking like an El Guapo because one of my employees had the temerity to think of me in a gift-giving season and spend her hard-earned money on something I "have absolutely no use for". Good luck with that... :wacko: Enjoy Christmas there, Ebenezer.

Fair enough. I'm not the uppity snob whining about looking like an El Guapo because one of my employees had the temerity to think of me in a gift-giving season and spend her hard-earned money on something I "have absolutely no use for". Good luck with that... :wacko: Enjoy Christmas there, Ebenezer.

Honestly, I don't know why I bother.

This is certainly not the first time you've learned of someone getting such a gift. The infamous Christmas sweater, for instance? You know, the one that you had to wear just often enough so Aunt Hildy would see you in it? Am I to understand that you covet each and every thing given to you? Well congrats.

As I said, my wife and I hate clutter. We're constantly getting rid of things if it becomes clear that don't serve a purpose in our lives. This is such a thing. Just curious what others would do. Move along.

Be respectful to her feelings and find a place to put it.

Seriously--she obviously tried to get you something that she thought you might like. At worst, tell her what whomper said and then every few months or so, put it out when you know that she is coming over to clean.

Then, in about a year or so, if you still can't stand it tell her that one of your relatives was visiting and said something about how much she/he really liked the set. And then ask your housekeeper if she would be offended if you gave the set to your relative since they liked it so very very much.

Seriously--she obviously tried to get you something that she thought you might like. At worst, tell her what whomper said and then every few months or so, put it out when you know that she is coming over to clean.

This is where I was leaning actually. Seriously, I appreciate the thought. It's just that we don't have a spot for it and would prefer not storing something that we actually like or use to make one.

:wonders if detlef has the same attitude about people:

Of course, in a matter of speaking, I think it would be healthy if more people did this. Someone in your life that serves no purpose to you? Brings you no joy or anything positive? Move on. Again, clutter is bad.

Edited by detlef

At the risk of playing mediator here...

I think westvirginia's point is that you seemed a bit ungreatful in your original post that someone who probably has less than you do gave you a gift.

In fairness, I am guessing you didn't mean to come off as ungreatful or snooty, and was just trying to ask a question on how best to handle a situation.

Perhaps (or probably, I should say) there is history here that made this thread go to this place, but I assume the above is the truth of the situation. Happy holidays. :wacko:

Honestly, I don't know why I bother.

This is certainly not the first time you've learned of someone getting such a gift. The infamous Christmas sweater, for instance? You know, the one that you had to wear just often enough so Aunt Hildy would see you in it? Am I to understand that you covet each and every thing given to you? Well congrats.

As I said, my wife and I hate clutter. We're constantly getting rid of things if it becomes clear that don't serve a purpose in our lives. This is such a thing. Just curious what others would do. Move along.

I don't "covet", no. I do, however, appreciate, and there's a huge difference. You b!tch and moan about a freakin' gift purchased BY AN EMPLOYEE and then when I point out how whiny you sound and try to add perspective, you go all irish on me in that I "just don't understand".

Of course, in a matter of speaking, I think it would be healthy if more people did this. Someone in your life that serves no purpose to you? Brings you no joy or anything positive? Move on. Again, clutter is bad.

On this we agree. But I don't consider that you serve no purpose to me. You obviously make me look smart... :wacko:

I'm kidding, and maybe I came across harsher than intended. I just hate people getting their panties in a wad over something trifling this time of year. I'll tell ya what, if your house burns down you can come stay on my couch for a while. :grouphug:

At the risk of playing mediator here...

I think westvirginia's point is that you seemed a bit ungreatful in your original post that someone who probably has less than you do gave you a gift.

In fairness, I am guessing you didn't mean to come off as ungreatful or snooty, and was just trying to ask a question on how best to handle a situation.

Perhaps (or probably, I should say) there is history here that made this thread go to this place, but I assume the above is the truth of the situation. Happy holidays. :wacko:

You are guessing correctly.

Perhaps I didn't feel like I needed to sugar coat the whole situation to everyone and go on and on about how much I appreciate her as an employee and so on. Perhaps I was under the impression that I am not the first person to get such a gift. I understand that there is protocol in situations and was curious about a tactful manner in handling it.

Why not cut to the chase. I got a gift from someone that I don't want and that person happens to get rather intimate with my house no a regular basis. End of story. Is background info really needed?

Fortunately, some provided just that. Others it seems, likely because they were agitated from fighting their pavlovian instinct to yell, "make some toast!" let their turrets get the better of them. Bummer.

Edited by detlef

Use the gift the night before she is to come over. Get the glasses dirty. Leave it out for her to take care of.

Tell her to put it where she thinks it should go.

See if she leaves it out, or puts it in a cabinet, etc.

If she leaves it out, she's very proud of her gift. If she puts it away, she's very utilitarian about it.

That should give you great insight as to how to handle the situation.

Use the gift the night before she is to come over. Get the glasses dirty. Leave it out for her to take care of.

Tell her to put it where she thinks it should go.

See if she leaves it out, or puts it in a cabinet, etc.

If she leaves it out, she's very proud of her gift. If she puts it away, she's very utilitarian about it.

That should give you great insight as to how to handle the situation.

Either that or threaten to cut the glasses in half. If she stops you. She cares about the glasses

Det......you OWN a restaurant. These are WINE glasses. Why can't you just tell her you took it to work and put it in your office so you could have a glass of wine after closing while doing the books or something?? That it looks great on your credenza there. Comes in handy when you have a meeting with clients. It sounds like a little set that would be perfect for a den or an office.....or at least SHE probably thought so. Right?

That might work.

Det......you OWN a restaurant. These are WINE glasses. Why can't you just tell her you took it to work and put it in your office so you could have a glass of wine after closing while doing the books or something?? That it looks great on your credenza there. Comes in handy when you have a meeting with clients. It sounds like a little set that would be perfect for a den or an office.....or at least SHE probably thought so. Right?

That might work.

Way to copy my idea. This your first day here?