[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Bartenders in the house ?

whomper

My friend's dad owned a banquet hall and needed two bartenders for a wedding, so he roped my buddy and myself in for the job.

Most awesome night ever - the people were cool, as it slowed down later in the night I was wandering out from behind the bar and dancing with the wives (which led to bigger tips, as both the husbands AND wives were happy about this turn of events (this was when is was 24 and at my 175 lb muscular fightin' weight)), my buddy and I ended up tanked, and we hauled off about $120 each cash.

Of course, I'd have been on much better behavior if we weren't doing the owner a favor, but everybody at the wedding seemed pretty happy with the job we were doing.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get to the real question.

How much?

115 in tips . The bartenders said you normally make 150-175 in tips but last nights affair wasnt as big as usual as far as amount of guests. 90 in base pay. Roughly a 200 dollar night although the 90 will be taxed

115 in tips . The bartenders said you normally make 150-175 in tips but last nights affair wasnt as big as usual as far as amount of guests. 90 in base pay. Roughly a 200 dollar night although the 90 will be taxed

Not bad for a Saturday night!!

• 2 weeks later...

Worked my 2nd party yesterday. It went well again. The other bartenders are good guys and I learn new stuff evey time I work which is great. This was a day party and the family was Indian (hindu). The senior bartender figured that would be a good day for me to work the Martini bar since it wouldnt be as busy because in this guys experience people from India didnt drink that many Tinis.

This place has a Martini bar as an extra for parties. It is open for an hour during the cocktail hour and it is advertised and then the menu comes down but you can still order those drinks throughout the whole party. There are regular Martinis. Trendy Martinis that I am used to somewhat. Then there are Martinis on this menu that I hadnt made yet. I studied the Menu and jotted down a few notes to keep behind the bar and made it through the coctail hour just fine. I appreciated that guy giving me a shot handling the Tini bar and it was smart because I did get experience without getting overwhelmed. Some of the Tinis on that Menu were ..Caramel apple Martini, Mango Martini, Cosmotini, Coconut Martini, and Peach .

I gotta say I am really enjoying this. We had a really lousy day of tips but I didnt really care. I got more experience behind the bar and learned a lot of new drinks and Club policies.

Edited by whomper

+1

When doing shots, those nice little lines are always handy. I've seen bartenders hit the line right on the dot and I've seen others fill the shot glass to the top. Its all about keeping your customer happy while still making sure you don't lose the bar any money by over pouring. I've seen alot of "good" bartenders lose there job because they over pour.

Also, keep in mind that some of your patrons might be trying to stay sober enough to drive home without getting a DUI. If they are counting drinks to make sure that they don't go over their limit, they will be assuming that you have not overpoured the alcohol. Just a thought.

Also, keep in mind that some of your patrons might be trying to stay sober enough to drive home without getting a DUI. If they are counting drinks to make sure that they don't go over their limit, they will be assuming that you have not overpoured the alcohol. Just a thought.

Absolutely. Part of the school training included cutting people off and identifying when a guest had too much. The club has a no shots policy for the last hour of each party . I havent had to cut anyone off yet but I am brand new to the game. There is a class coming up at the school which is free to me called T.I.P.S I am already signed up. It happens in March

Proven effective by third-party studies, TIPS is a skills-based, class responsible alcohol training and certification program that is designed to prevent intoxication, underage drinking, and drunk driving by enhancing the fundamental "people skills" of servers, sellers and consumers of alcohol.

TIPS training gives individuals the knowledge and confidence they need to recognize potential alcohol-related problems and intervene to prevent alcohol-related tragedies.

Dam Whomp, you are really into this thing! Very Cool! My best to you!

Did I mention that my Godson is a PTBT at one of the most prestigious Clubs in the USA???

Medinah! Check it out. He does not get good tips. I guess because these members pay >$300K/year just to belong, so they figger it's an all inclusive! He has met many celebs, and he also said "Tiger" doesn't tip.

I am taking my TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Control) server's certificate class tomorrow. I got a job as a beer/wine/spirits taster host. We go into Sam's Clubs and the like to give out samples of beer, wine and booze. This is the same certificate/license needed to tend bar, just in case I find a good bartending gig.

As a suggestion...you should report some of your tip money as well. Regardless of your view on the ethical aspects of it, if your W-2 salary matches your reported income and you list "bartender" as an occupation, it's a pretty significant red flag for the IRS. Hate to see you get audited over a part time job you are using to make a few extra bucks.

As a suggestion...you should report some of your tip money as well. Regardless of your view on the ethical aspects of it, if your W-2 salary matches your reported income and you list "bartender" as an occupation, it's a pretty significant red flag for the IRS. Hate to see you get audited over a part time job you are using to make a few extra bucks.

Good point. Thanks

#1, Don't list bartender as an occupation.

#2, Make sure your employer reports your tip income before you do. Reporting something your employer does not will get them in more trouble than you, and eventually find yourself without a job.