[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning MVP

CaptainHook

Peyton Manning punctuated the most arduous season of his 11-year career today by becoming only the second player to be named the NFL's Most Valuable Player three times, the Associated Press reported.

The Indianapolis Colts quarterback, who missed the preseason after undergoing two surgeries on his left knee, joins quarterback Brett Favre as the league's only three-time MVPs. Manning won the AP's award outright in 2004 after sharing it with Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair in 2003.

Advertisement

The Colts earned a seventh consecutive playoff berth and meet the Chargers in San Diego's Qualcomm Stadium in a first-round game Saturday night.

Their latest postseason appearance is a result of overcoming a 3-4 start and finishing the regular season with a nine-game winning streak.

Manning was the catalyst.

During the nine-game streak, he compiled a 109.7 rating with 17 touchdowns and just three interceptions. Manning was especially efficient over the past four games, compiling a 130.8 rating by completing 90-of-110 passes (81.8 percent) for 1,054 yards with eight touchdowns and no interceptions.

Manning directed six fourth-quarter drives this season, four during the nine-game winning streak.

from indystar.com

Despite my obvious bias, I can't think of a player who was more deserving. Despite the rough start and rather pedestrian numbers, he was clearly the person most responsible for his team making the playoffs.

What does bother me is that, according to ESPN, DeAngelo Williams didn't receive a single vote. That's just wrong, after the monster season that he had.

Hard to argue with this, but I do think Pennington was a close second. Did they announce the runners-up?

Manning had 32 votes and Pennington and Turner had 4. Adrian Peterson 3, James Harrison 3,Philip Rivers 2, Chris Johnson 1, and Kurt Warner 1

Edited by heydave76

Well deserved.....in a down year by default. The only thing I don't like about this selection is that Manning had a pretty crappy, average first half of the season then went nuts the 2nd half of the year. I'm tired of QB's getting all the accolades. Peterson or DeAngelo Williams are just as deserving.

I'm tired of QB's getting all the accolades. Peterson or DeAngelo Williams are just as deserving.

Yep, and this is why I take MVP awards with a liberal dosage of salt. The fact that defensive players are almost never awarded also bothers me. Was Marshall Faulk really more important to his team making the playoffs in 2000 than Ray Lewis was to his? I don't think so.

Edited by Bill Swerski

The person who cast this vote should have his voting rights revoked for life.

Yeah because he wasn't very valuable to that team. :wacko:

Manning is a great choice but he should not have run away with it that badly. Peterson should have been at least in the same ballpark.

And he has now won it twice or at best 2 1/2 times, not 3. A co-win is like no win. I so hate ties.

:wacko: didn't he screw up some games in the beginning....can't believe someone wasn't more important to their team then him

An interesting phenomenon. Manning started dismally and finished strong, Warner started strong and finished dismally, yet AZ made the playoffs, albeit in a weak division.

Obviously finishing strong counts more than starting strong. Warner had more yards, more TDs and a higher passer rating than Manning but got no votes.