[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hell Freezes Over

darin3

I'm certainly not a wine guy, but I don't mind it. Especially when it's part of a tour through Central Texas' Hill Country. Went on a wine tour with 20 people for a friend's birthday yesterday (yeah, had to miss the NFL games) and had a blast. Not the first time I've been wine tasting, but the first time going to more than just a couple, and the first time with a big group (had just gone with the wife and then once with wife and MIL).

The hit of the tour, at least for my palette, was Becker Vineyards' Viognier . An excellent wine. We got two bottles.

Had a few good Syrahs, even a Cabernet I enjoyed. I am definitely not into the red wine. But was surprised.

I recommend Becker's Viognier. Only $15 for a bottle, so if you're interested, I highly recommend ordering a few.

:wacko:

. I am definitely not into the red wine.

:wacko: As a beer snob and completely novice wine drinker, I really only purchase Merlot or Cabs. I probably haven't had more than 10 glasses of white wine in my life.

I need to learn, I'm staying away from beer and waist line is appreciating it. Been drinking Parducci's Merlot a lot lately.

ok... make believe i'm an ass. convince me why i should pick a $15 texan wine over a $15 cali, nw, french, italian, southern hemisphere, spanish, german, austrian wine.

:wacko:

The Texas Hill Country actually has really good growing conditions. It's a lot like California where I'm at here, in terms of physical geography.

As I said before, I'm no wine expert but from what I learned, the grape used for this Viognier is grown only in some parts of France.... and Texas.

I think people are shocked when they hear there's a "wine country" out here. Everyone knows about Napa Valley, and I'd say most know about the area in SoCal - north of San Diego, east of LA - that produces great wines. I doubt many know Texas' Hill Country is "up and coming" and produces some pretty fabulous wines.

Come out for a weekend, I'll show you around. :D

:D As a beer snob and completely novice wine drinker, I really only purchase Merlot or Cabs. I probably haven't had more than 10 glasses of white wine in my life.

I need to learn, I'm staying away from beer and waist line is appreciating it. Been drinking Parducci's Merlot a lot lately.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like drinking beverages at room temperature. I can handle a good glass of red now and then, though. But I just prefer whites because of the temperature.

Please turn in your man card. Your membership is revoked.

:wacko: Wait till you're married, fella.

---

Oh, and for the record, I polished off a 12er of Natty Light :D while in the bus inbetween winery visits. :D

I doubt many know Texas' Hill Country is "up and coming" and produces some pretty fabulous wines.

Come out for a weekend, I'll show you around. :D

i don't follow wine like some, but i know enough to know what is good and bad. i don't see texas wines as being any more "up and coming" than colorado, new york, virginia, or anywhere else where a wine lover owns land and wants to give it a go. i'd be very surprised if anything fabulous in wine came out of there.

if/when i get out there, we can pass on the wineries and go straight to the bars :wacko:

It doesn't surprise me that viognier is the primary varietal of central texas, it's a tough grape to grow in "ideal" wine regions. Viognier needs a substantial amount of time on the vine to reach optimal levels and it prefers dry, warm long seasons. I'm not dissing Texas but if I were starting a winery and didn't want to worry too much about a grape then I'd plant viognier and let the environment dictate it.

I've had a ton of French wines that had viognier in the blend, typically with marsanne or roussanne.

Drink it up now D because that juice will not age well.

It doesn't surprise me that viognier is the primary varietal of central texas, it's a tough grape to grow in "ideal" wine regions. Viognier needs a substantial amount of time on the vine to reach optimal levels and it prefers dry, warm long seasons. I'm not dissing Texas but if I were starting a winery and didn't want to worry too much about a grape then I'd plant viognier and let the environment dictate it.

I've had a ton of French wines that had viognier in the blend, typically with marsanne or roussanne.

Drink it up now D because that juice will not age well.

Yeah, like I said... I'm not a wine person and while my wife enjoys drinking wine, she's not one to buy the super expensive stuff and let it age. We don't have a wine cellar or any kind of preservation method... the bottles just sit in our fridge or in the built-in rack in our buffet. :wacko:

Wine gives a good buzz. :D

First off, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to the wine country. When I lived in CA, we hit the country all the time. Nice combo of pretty roads, nice country, talking to some nice people, and of course, the juice.

Of course, Bier sort of hit the nail on the head with what tends to be the problem with most secondary wine regions in the country. The price to quality ratio is often pretty easy to beat. I get inundated with letters from the governor urging me to support NC wineries, but they just don't deliver compared to other regions in terms of what they cost. Of course, they say the same things that you did about the soil, etc. (Apparently the soil in NC main wine growing region is the same as Burgundy). Well, guess what, it ain't Burgundy.

Twiley is also right about the choice of Viognier. In fact, that's the white that does best around here and in much of the Southern US. The best reds, btw, are Cab Franc (at least here in NC). From what I understand, though (again, at least here in NC), it's because they both produce very loose grape clusters and are therefor less likely to rot in the humid conditions that often occur during our summers. I haven't been to Texas, but I was not under the impression that was something you had to worry about.

At any rate, the attachment to having been to a winery and tasted something there is always going to make it taste better. However, I can nearly promise you that, regardless of the varietal, there are dozens of wines grown in more recognized areas that are better for the money. In this market, $15 actually buys you a pretty nice bottle of wine.