[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reading

geeteebee

I like fiction and I am finishing up Lee Child's Reacher books right now. I really like this series. The last few things I have read are Ludlam's Bourne series, a couple of Stephen Hunter's Swagger stories and James Swain's Tony Valentine series. When I finish up the Reacher books I'll need to find another auther to read. Anybody have any suggestions? I might get the rest of Hunter's books because I liked Point of Impact, but wasn't real big on Dirty White Boys.

I used to read only non-fiction. Historical biographies, business reading and the like and started to totally dread reading so I have switched gears and found that I really enjoy it again.

So what say you? Anything else you've read that I should look into?

Gotta add Cormac McCarthy to any "to read" author list. I have much man-love for this guy - just outstanding writing.

I'm reading The Orchard Keeper now - his first book. I would recommend The Road as an intro to McCarthy, with the understanding that it is McCarthy at his simplest. Most of is other work is much darker and more complex. The Border Trilogy is good, I loved Suttree. Blood Meridian is fantastic, but darker than I recommend to most readers. It is immensely violent, but some of McCarthy's best work.

I'm into non-fiction and reading my x-mas gifts: David Zirin's A People's History of Sports in the United States and Michael Lewis' collection of essays on the financial crisis, Panic. Both are differently engrossing, Lewis' for the sheer immediacy of it all, Zirin because of the subject matter and the fact that we have a tendency to forget as a people how outside the box some of our athletics and athletes have been over the years.

Gotta add Cormac McCarthy to any "to read" author list. I have much man-love for this guy - just outstanding writing.

I'm reading The Orchard Keeper now - his first book. I would recommend The Road as an intro to McCarthy, with the understanding that it is McCarthy at his simplest. Most of is other work is much darker and more complex. The Border Trilogy is good, I loved Suttree. Blood Meridian is fantastic, but darker than I recommend to most readers. It is immensely violent, but some of McCarthy's best work.

I finished The Orchard Keeper about a month ago - my least favorite McCarthy work.

The rest is great though - the Road is fantastic and Blood Meridian is epic if you can handle the violence.

Tom Robbins

I just finished "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates" on a recommendation from a friend who said it was one of the best books he'd ever read. I was underwhelmed.

Hunter Thompson, OTOH, gets the big :wacko: . Kurt V too.

Lately I've been "reading" via audio-books the George R. R. Martin series, "A Game of Thrones." Put simply, I find it amazing. It's not often I read a series where I don't know what's going to happen next and no main character is safe.

I've got the first book in that series but haven't started it yet.

Grunge,

Jump in headfirst. The series is great, the third book is fantastic. You won't be disappointed

Yet that series remains unfinished, right?

My absolute faves:

Tom Robbins

Kurt Vennegut

Douglas Adams

Hunter S Thompson

Based on those three authors, I've gotten a ton of "You might also like"s for Tony Vigorito. Has anyone ever read him?

You may want to try a book on counting next.

Lately I've been "reading" via audio-books the George R. R. Martin series, "A Game of Thrones." Put simply, I find it amazing. It's not often I read a series where I don't know what's going to happen next and no main character is safe.

im waiting for his next

Another vote for George R R Martin.

Simply an incredible author. His ability to build a scene or character is unmatched in my opinion.

Also agreed... don't get too attached to any character. Unlike nearly all authors, the characters you find yourself caring about just might not make out alive.