[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Careful what you say...

detlef

Sort of funny. I joined facebook about a month ago. So far, it's been pretty fun to catch up with old friends and some regular customers have found me and we've actually lined up some dinners, etc. Not a major thing, mostly just another way to waste time not wasted here.

At any rate, this local cook asked me about openings that I might have at my new place. I wrote back saying it's early, but I'd be happy to talk to them when it gets closer to opening.

Since they're now a "friend", of course any updates they make to their profile or status show up on my home page.

Here's today's

X...can't believe she talked herself into four straight days of work...

I guess I need to find a delicate way of explaining to her that just might happen, like every single week, if she works for me?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pass on the whole online personal networking thing.

Any old friends I've lost track of weren't that good of friends to begin with and I'm not really looking to make any new friends. And get off my yard.

FWIW, I barely interact with most of the old friends that I've found through FB, but it's sort of fun to see the photos they post of their family. For others, it's just another excuse to say "hi" which is never a bad thing. An old girlfriend's brother, it turns out, lives where I do, so she's gonna stop by the restaurant this spring when she comes out. That'll be cool, I always liked her.

All in all, it's been more fun than not.

Any old friends I've lost track of weren't that good of friends to begin with and I'm not really looking to make any new friends. And get off my yard.

I'm up to about 50 "friends" on facebook. I would consider myself actually friends with about 4 of them. The rest are acquaintances, most very distant.

FWIW, I barely interact with most of the old friends that I've found through FB, but it's sort of fun to see the photos they post of their family. For others, it's just another excuse to say "hi" which is never a bad thing. An old girlfriend's brother, it turns out, lives where I do, so she's gonna stop by the restaurant this spring when she comes out. That'll be cool, I always liked her.

All in all, it's been more fun than not.

I'll give it a try.

My wife and her friends always talk about how many 'friends' they have on FB.

I've never even been on FB but am thinking about making a bet that I can have twice as many 'friends' in a week as any of them.

I figure one post in the tailgate could accomplish that.

Sort of funny. I joined facebook about a month ago. So far, it's been pretty fun to catch up with old friends and some regular customers have found me and we've actually lined up some dinners, etc. Not a major thing, mostly just another way to waste time not wasted here.

At any rate, this local cook asked me about openings that I might have at my new place. I wrote back saying it's early, but I'd be happy to talk to them when it gets closer to opening.

Since they're now a "friend", of course any updates they make to their profile or status show up on my home page.

Here's today's

X...can't believe she talked herself into four straight days of work...

I guess I need to find a delicate way of explaining to her that just might happen, like every single week, if she works for me?

werd - pretty cool catching up with everyone - and seeing pics. A nice, quick and easy way to say hey and keep in touch with new and old friends. That being said, I am over the totally bored peeps who update their status with lame stuff

John is "thinking turkey club for lunch" Sarah is "so blessed to have a hubby that makes her coffee" save it, please.

nice option is just click - "less of so and so" and their updates will not be shown.

it is a way of life for teenagers- i think my little 14 yr old cousin has 700+ friends

So you came in on a Facebook thread just to say you'd never go on Facebook? :wacko: Interesting.

On a more specific note regarding the thread,

Stories are run every now and then in the college newspapers that more and more employers are looking at Facebook and MySpace pages to help them rule out applicants.

I actually have a friend who lost a summer internship because the employer hopped on Facebook and looked through her pictures and "wall posts" and didn't like what he saw. (Partying, Vulgar Language, etc...)

There are privacy settings on who can see what, but many people are just dumb about what they say and post on their profiles.

John is "thinking turkey club for lunch" Sarah is "so blessed to have a hubby that makes her coffee" save it, please.

Yes, that gets pretty ghey.

On a more specific note regarding the thread,

Stories are run every now and then in the college newspapers that more and more employers are looking at Facebook and MySpace pages to help them rule out applicants.

I actually have a friend who lost a summer internship because the employer hopped on Facebook and looked through her pictures and "wall posts" and didn't like what he saw. (Partying, Vulgar Language, etc...)

There are privacy settings on who can see what, but many people are just dumb about what they say and post on their profiles.

I can see that happening. Of course, in my business, if I excluded any candidates who've posted shots of them partying, I wouldn't be able to find any waiters at all. At least not any good ones.

+1

+2

+3

FB is awesome site & tool ..i reconnected to alot of childhood friends , highschool friends , etc ...get together's getting planned already

i resisted joining for a long time, but i've been on there about a year and have reconnected with a lot of people i wouldn't have found otherwise. yeah, most people are acquaintances, but i've enjoyed finding out what they're up to, even if i message them only once a year.

I signed up on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. Ummm, it's really kinda gay. Mainly a place for people to show off their spawn.

or their small peener-mobiles. :wacko:

i resisted joining for a long time, but i've been on there about a year and have reconnected with a lot of people i wouldn't have found otherwise. yeah, most people are acquaintances, but i've enjoyed finding out what they're up to, even if i message them only once a year.

Yea, I'm going to set up my Facebook account today. My wife recently did and found out some pretty good friends are coming up our way from Portland in a couple weeks. Probably wouldn't have known they were coming up otherwise. I could see how some might think it's kind of ghey. But so is networking on a Site with a bunch of male fantasy football fans.

I'm sure there are some Huddlers that would be discouraged from networking with other Huddlers simply because they don't want strangers seeing everything you have posted on your Facebook page. There is a way to only allow them to see certain things however:

1. Click the Friends tab along the top

2. On the left hand side, click "Create New List" and name it (ex: "The Huddle" or "Co-Workers")

3. You can then add any one of your current friends to the list

4. Now click the Settings tab along the top, click the "Privacy" dropdown

5. Click Profile

6. You can now customize who can see each and every aspect of your profile. (Only Friends, Network, Specific People, etc...)

7. If you don't want members of "The Huddle" seeing something like Status Updates for instance, click the drop down on status updates, and go to "Customize"

8. In the very bottom box title "Except These People" - You can type in the name of your list, and it will exclude anyone on the list from seeing this.

You can do this with pretty much every aspect of your profile, however keep in mind you can't simply do it for your pictures as a whole - You have to set the privacy uniquely on the tagged photos catagory, and each individual album.

Hope this helps get some people on board!

Edited by kpholmes