[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weight Loss

Duchess Jack

i just feel that i am beyond hope at this stage. :wacko:

that is your major problem from the get go...you NEED to believe in yourself!!

Doesn't matter that all of us here believe you can do it...without YOU BELIEVING IN YOURSELF it won't matter.

You CAN DO IT!!!!(And we will be here to lend the support when and if needed)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely. Basically it's zero carbs. It was hard losing bread and beer from my diet, but it shed the belly fat real quick.

Darin is referring to the first 2 weeks of the diet, then it gets a lot less strict (and the first 2 weeks isn't really zero carbs). The avoiding bread and alcohol thing is temporary. I've pretty much been doing the 2nd phase, with intentional cheating every once and a while, for a couple months now, and losing about 1 pound a week. It's working for me and I'm eating as much as I want.

Bushwacked is correct, its not exactly a zero carb diet like Atkins would be. I had some success with SBD too, but got satisfied and stopped watching it close. That lead me back to where I am now.

Hey DJ, Body for Life is a balanced diet weight loss program - there are no gimmicks about zero carbs and zero sugar. You eat multiple times a day but you have to also work out.

BFL is a great program. There are a few out there like this that are not gimmick diets, but rather diet/exercise packages that are pretty much made for the folks that really do not know where to start. P90X is another good one. Has a great eating plan and a kickass workout plan. I started the workouts, but to be honest I am not ready for that level yet. The workouts are pretty grueling, but I plan to work my way back there one day.

Weight loss is frustrating because it is seen as anti-fun. That's only true if you only look at the negatives (I can't eat/drink what I want and I don't like to exercise)

A few reasons to do this that must be considered:

1) You will feel better physically. This will have a positive effect in every area of your life.

2) You will have more self confidence in virtually every area of your life. Like it or not, we all know deep down that people are going to judge us at least to some degree based on our appearance. You can have a positive effect on your appearance and improve your own self confidence by improving your appearance.

3) You are more desirable to the opposite sex if you are in good physical condition. See #2

4) Exercise is fun. The problem for most people is that they don't take the time to find an activity that is fun for them. When you are doing something you like and you feel good about yourself, that makes you happy.

5) Exercise is social. If you pick something you like and look forward to doing, it will give you a chance to interact with new people and share something you enjoy with them.

6) You are making a long term investment in you. People talk about saving for retirement monetarily, but they don't talk much about saving for retirement physically. Crabby old people are crabby mostly because they feel like crap. The happiest 72 year old I have ever met is the Master at my martial arts school. He's as spry and strong as most 50-something people I know.

Accomplishing these goals is in us all. It is just a matter of determining what's important to you. Do you care more about the taste o a cheeseburger or about feeling great all the time?

yeah, start with the basics. eat a big breakfast every day, but nothing after dinner. just that simple step alone will get your body metabolism rhythms in a much more beneficial place. then maybe try and cut down to 2 or 3 nights a week on the alcohol. going from a case a week to a 12-pack or even a 6-pack will make a difference.

Two strikes there. I typically don't eat breakfast and I eat late.

How many calories should I be looking to take in at breakfast. How much protein? Is a 2,000 calorie diet a good benchmark?

As far as a good first boost. I might jump on the week long cabbage soup diet.

and regarding that P90X... my brother in law always jumps on the most recent diet kick. he's doing/did this and said the workout is crazy... like 9 dvds.

How many calories should I be looking to take in at breakfast. How much protein? Is a 2,000 calorie diet a good benchmark?

and regarding that P90X... my brother in law always jumps on the most recent diet kick. he's doing/did this and said the workout is crazy... like 9 dvds.

STEP 1 - EAT BREAKFAST!!!! :wacko:

P90X is another good one. Has a great eating plan and a kickass workout plan. I started the workouts, but to be honest I am not ready for that level yet. The workouts are pretty grueling, but I plan to work my way back there one day.

My buddy (Sayitain'tsoJoe on the Huddle) started the P90x 3 and a half weeks ago. He is sticking to it completely (workout and nutrition plan) and said it is amazing but very challenging. He said it's not a good choice to start off unless you are already in 'decent' shape. He was swimming and running/elipticalling 5 days a week for over a year and finally decided to give it a go. I'm thinking about trying it after a few months of WW and exercise. There are 13 DVD's he follows around an hour every day (takes longer for him as he can't move from one exercise to the next as quickly as they do on the video).

He did the before picture and said in the 3 weeks he is noticing good results (I think he lost 8 pounds while adding muscle already) even though the nutrition plan calls for like 3,000 calories per day of specific types of food.

yeah, big mistake there which should be relatively easy for you to change up. you're depriving your body of calories in the morning when it would be using them to fire up your metabolism, and you're feeding it calories at night when it has nothing to do with them but turn them into fat.

Hey bish...join LA Fitness. My brother and I go there after work when I'm in town and one day on the weekends also. :D

The new Tumbleweed Rec Center is nice. Only $30 a month. $45 for a couple. I wonder if you and your brother could be considered a couple? :wacko:

I've thought about going, but need to figure out when to go. Mornings are no good and after work time is tough with a commute and a kid. I could go later at night but by then i'm too lazy...Excuses, excuses. I do have a treadmill at home. I really just need to start with that.

My buddy (Sayitain'tsoJoe on the Huddle) started the P90x 3 and a half weeks ago. He is sticking to it completely (workout and nutrition plan) and said it is amazing but very challenging. He said it's not a good choice to start off unless you are already in 'decent' shape. He was swimming and running/elipticalling 5 days a week for over a year and finally decided to give it a go. I'm thinking about trying it after a few months of WW and exercise. There are 13 DVD's he follows around an hour every day (takes longer for him as he can't move from one exercise to the next as quickly as they do on the video).

He did the before picture and said in the 3 weeks he is noticing good results (I think he lost 8 pounds while adding muscle already) even though the nutrition plan calls for like 3,000 calories per day of specific types of food.

The caloric requirement for P90X is determined by your goals, age, and program you pick. But you have to subscribe to the only site (free for 90 days, I think its like $15 a month after that). Mine was like 1800 calories, more concentrating on weight loss. And it is an awesome program, but agree its not a program for beginners to jump right into.

A couple years ago, I weighed approx. 197lbs with a body fat % around 24.

Not to lose weight, but rather because I knew it wasn't good for me, I cut out soda pretty much cold turkey and drank almost exclusively water. I started losing weight just 'cause of this and I was genuinely surprised. So then I started eating better - lots of fiber. Fiber One granola bars make a great snack. And your dumps are better for sure.

I lost more weight. So I started going to the gym doing the elliptical 4-5 days a week for 30min-45min each. I lost more weight. Then I started some weight training and got some tone to things and lost more weight and now have a body fat at 43yrs old of 12%.

And this all started because my blood pressure was running higher than desired and I wanted to not drink so much Pepsi(caffeine). It can be done is what I'm getting at. Once you see some nominal results, it'll motivate you big time. I had kept a pair of dress slacks around that I had used as my target "pair to fit back into". They're a 33" waist. I was a 36", pushing 38". Now those pants are waay big on me as I wear a 30"-32" waist max. Still go to the gym 5-6 days a week but now because I want to. Just become part of my routine.

Good luck!!!

We have an informal one of those. Checkin weekly. Doing it with others is the key - I've dropped 7 pounds in three weeks which isn't exactly awesome but headed in the right direction.

I'm 6'3" and 251 lbs - need to get to 225. Lack of exercise is my problem now that I've stopped doing sports. :wacko:

Now see, for me it's the exact opposite. I despise those WW groups. I really hate them. I don't want to hear their stupid recipes that try to mimick fatty, sugary foods with the substitution of splenda and the like. Gross. Plus there's the whole going there thing.

For me personally WW online made it just between me, myself and I. No point in lying about what I'd eaten or done during the week, or the weight. I'd only be fooling myself. The constant availability of the info (and recipes should I want them) was a plus for me. Besides, I'm on the computer too damn much anyhow, so it made it a little easier to check in.

FYI...try a little Frank's Red Hot sauce on that turkey sandwich. It was a lifesaver for me. Turkey with Frank's on good bread became a staple sandwich for me while doing WW. I found that using spicier food helped fight against the lack of fat in the foods.

You also need to identify a reasonable snack that you can allow yourself to devour that won't kill you. Low fat popcorn or the like. Something buiky that isn't fatty.

What I've still never gotten the hang of is loving exercise. I really, really hate it. :D

Calories is a function of your size, your level of physical activity, and several other functions. The Weight Loss forum has the harris-benedict formula as a good guide.

Cabbage soup diet is not a longterm answer, but, if the only way to get you motivated is to see a short term weight loss, go for it, but do not be surprised to see weight gain in the week plus following. There are no shortcuts.

Key is eating multiple, smaller meals throughout the day.

Protein is important. Carbs are important. Fat is important.

Carbs are the fule of the muscles, so it is particularly important to have carbs at three times during the day. Those times are first thing in the morning to fire up the metabolism and get your body out of the catabolic state it is in after the overnight fast, pre workout and postworkout. Focus on slower digesting carbs like oatmeal, whole grains etc., except post workout when fast digesting carbs are desirable, such as white bread, rice and white potatoes.

Fat is important to have in the diet (talking healthy fats, ie nuts, fish, etc.) as it has many benefits 9helps lube joints, triggers the burning of body fat, etc.) One article i read that helped me with this was that your body is very good at regulating itself. If you deprive it completely of dietary fat, it triggers the brain to think that there is a shortage and thus it will cling on to all the fat it can while this shortage is going on. Very similar to why starvation diets do not work.

Protein is key as it is the building block of muscle and it also keeps you feeling full longer. You want ot focus on lean protein sources like chicken, fish and whole eggs (well, usually a mix of whole eggs with extra egg whites, the yolks contain the majority of the nutrients in eggs including many of the amino acids that make eggs a complete protein) and keep some red meat in the diet (key source of iron and other nutrients not found in the other sources). Every meal should have a protein source. Sugestions for the amount of protein vary from sources, but generally I have seen 0.8 - 1.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight as the goal, particular if the goal is fat loss and muscle gain/retention.

Aim for 6+ smaller meals throughout the day. You should aim to get something in your system as fast as possible upon waking. Many plans I am seeing now strongly reccomend a 20-40g whey protein shake wih a piece of fruit immediately upon waking to stop the catabolic state and fire up the metabolism. Take your shower, etc. Then have breakfast. Some eggs and oatmeal or some wheat toast, etc is a good start. Have a mid morning snack, maybe an ounce of almonds with an apple. Then lunch.. turkey or tuna on whole wheat with a green salad with oil and vinegar. Afternoon snack of say some turkey slices or cottage cheese. Then a preworkout protein shake with a banana, your workout, then postworkout shake with say a gatorade or the above mentioned fast carb sources. Dinner could be chicken breasts with brown rice or broccolli. Late night snack could be cottage cheese or a casein shake (important to get a slow digesting protein in your system to feed your body at night, contrary to what many say about not eating after x time, going that long without food will negate any gains you may get in muscle gain/fat loss). (Obviously adjust the pre/post workout shakes/meals to when you are able to workout) Also, generally avoid many of the premade meal replacement shakes out there as generally they have very high sugar contents.

You should look to do a mix of weight training and cardio. It is generally accepted that doing weights before cardio is better for a goal of fat loss, as the by lifting when fresh you can lift with a higher intensity and also burn off your livers glycogen stores, thus your cardio will target fat for enegy. HIIT (High intensity Interval Training) is better than steady state cardio if goal is fat loss. Steady state is good for heart health, so a mix throughout the week is good.

Calories is a function of your size, your level of physical activity, and several other functions. The Weight Loss forum has the harris-benedict formula as a good guide.

Cabbage soup diet is not a longterm answer, but, if the only way to get you motivated is to see a short term weight loss, go for it, but do not be surprised to see weight gain in the week plus following. There are no shortcuts.

Key is eating multiple, smaller meals throughout the day.

Protein is important. Carbs are important. Fat is important.

Carbs are the fule of the muscles, so it is particularly important to have carbs at three times during the day. Those times are first thing in the morning to fire up the metabolism and get your body out of the catabolic state it is in after the overnight fast, pre workout and postworkout. Focus on slower digesting carbs like oatmeal, whole grains etc., except post workout when fast digesting carbs are desirable, such as white bread, rice and white potatoes.

Fat is important to have in the diet (talking healthy fats, ie nuts, fish, etc.) as it has many benefits 9helps lube joints, triggers the burning of body fat, etc.) One article i read that helped me with this was that your body is very good at regulating itself. If you deprive it completely of dietary fat, it triggers the brain to think that there is a shortage and thus it will cling on to all the fat it can while this shortage is going on. Very similar to why starvation diets do not work.

Protein is key as it is the building block of muscle and it also keeps you feeling full longer. You want ot focus on lean protein sources like chicken, fish and whole eggs (well, usually a mix of whole eggs with extra egg whites, the yolks contain the majority of the nutrients in eggs including many of the amino acids that make eggs a complete protein) and keep some red meat in the diet (key source of iron and other nutrients not found in the other sources). Every meal should have a protein source. Sugestions for the amount of protein vary from sources, but generally I have seen 0.8 - 1.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight as the goal, particular if the goal is fat loss and muscle gain/retention.

Aim for 6+ smaller meals throughout the day. You should aim to get something in your system as fast as possible upon waking. Many plans I am seeing now strongly reccomend a 20-40g whey protein shake wih a piece of fruit immediately upon waking to stop the catabolic state and fire up the metabolism. Take your shower, etc. Then have breakfast. Some eggs and oatmeal or some wheat toast, etc is a good start. Have a mid morning snack, maybe an ounce of almonds with an apple. Then lunch.. turkey or tuna on whole wheat with a green salad with oil and vinegar. Afternoon snack of say some turkey slices or cottage cheese. Then a preworkout protein shake with a banana, your workout, then postworkout shake with say a gatorade or the above mentioned fast carb sources. Dinner could be chicken breasts with brown rice or broccolli. Late night snack could be cottage cheese or a casein shake (important to get a slow digesting protein in your system to feed your body at night, contrary to what many say about not eating after x time, going that long without food will negate any gains you may get in muscle gain/fat loss). (Obviously adjust the pre/post workout shakes/meals to when you are able to workout) Also, generally avoid many of the premade meal replacement shakes out there as generally they have very high sugar contents.

You should look to do a mix of weight training and cardio. It is generally accepted that doing weights before cardio is better for a goal of fat loss, as the by lifting when fresh you can lift with a higher intensity and also burn off your livers glycogen stores, thus your cardio will target fat for enegy. HIIT (High intensity Interval Training) is better than steady state cardio if goal is fat loss. Steady state is good for heart health, so a mix throughout the week is good.

This is very good info :wacko:

Now see, for me it's the exact opposite. I despise those WW groups. I really hate them. I don't want to hear their stupid recipes that try to mimick fatty, sugary foods with the substitution of splenda and the like. Gross. Plus there's the whole going there thing.

No need to go anywhere. One of the ladies at work runs the thing. You sign up (or not), it's $10 in, winner takes all, honor system once-a-week check in on a piece of paper pinned to the copy room wall. That's it. No recipes and what-have-you.

I'm in second of 11 people so far......my IT Manager is beating me but he started at >300 lbs......!

No need to go anywhere. One of the ladies at work runs the thing. You sign up (or not), it's $10 in, winner takes all, honor system once-a-week check in on a piece of paper pinned to the copy room wall. That's it. No recipes and what-have-you.

I'm in second of 11 people so far......my IT Manager is beating me but he started at >300 lbs......!

That's pretty funny.

My wifes school has one of these contests every year to coincide with the Biggest Loser TV show. Works pretty much the same way; everyone chips in $20 and weighs in at the beginning of the "contest". Once a week they weigh in in the nurses office. Highest percentage weight loss at the end takes the pot. The guy who won it last year was a wrestler in high school and knew how to drop weight in a hurry. He wasn't overweight to begin with and by the time the contest was over he looked like a starving African orphan. Lots of angry fatties let me tell you. :wacko: Naturally he put the weight back on in about a week and is now back to where he started and $300 richer.