[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TAKEN

TDFFFreak

I had a chance to catch the movie "Taken" staring Liam Neeson yesterday. I have got to say that this movie really worked for me. I'm not going to say it's the most realistic film you will see, but after the first 30 mintues of set up, the last hour of the film is fast, brutal, and fun (in a sort of sadistic kind of way). You are really rooting for Neeson's character to rescue his daughter, who has been kidnapped for an international prostitution operation. The movie doesn't try to do too much and the scope is reasonably small and never forgets that it wants to entertain. I never thought Liam Neeson could be this good of an action hero. I enjoyed this film a great deal, and was slightly surprised by how much I liked it as some good popcorn entertainment. I give it a B+. Not the perfect action movie, but an enjoyable movie going experience for the wife and I.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I thought that they explained everything about how he was able to find her was pretty impressive. I'm no spy, but I felt it was all very reasonable and realistic.

This is what made the movie for me... the ability to find the daughter without the usual "bumping into a random stranger on the street who knows everything" tactic. He never quite gets enough out of each contact. This could have easily been a "24" season.

This is what made the movie for me... the ability to find the daughter without the usual "bumping into a random stranger on the street who knows everything" tactic. He never quite gets enough out of each contact. This could have easily been a "24" season.

But thankfully the movie cuts to the chase and there is no need to stretch it over an entire season of television. :wacko:

And by realism I meant some of the action scenes.

Edited by TDFFFreak

SPOILER ALERT....

I guess I'm in the minority here, although my wife actually agreed with me...we were both fairly disappointed with this flick. The action scenes were OK, and the idea behind the plot was decent, but they didn't develop it enough, IMO. I actually thought it would have been a better movie had it been 15-20 minutes longer, with a little more development on how he was able to find her. I felt like I was watching a "recap" of how he did it, with some of the important parts left out. Maybe I was just expecting too much...

On a side note, the thing that bothered both of us the most about this movie was the acting by the girl who played the daughter. She was supposed to be 17, but acted like she was playing the part of a 10-year-old. What was even worse were the scenes where they showed her running... she looked like a three-legged dog with brain damage. Maybe they were intentionally trying to make her look like the innocent/sheltered daughter, but it was WAY overdone, IMO.

I really like Neeson as well, but this movie was weak at best... I give it a C-.

Edited by Gopher

So apparently he finds her in the end huh, thanks Megan Foxes

Another SPOILER ALERT...

Not sure if I detect some sarcasm on your part, but a movie/show has to be halfway decent to reach "Spoiler" status... this one simply isn't. It's one of those where the "best" parts are given away in the previews. More importantly, you can pretty much tell by watching the previews that Neeson is going to find the daughter. The theme throughout is that he's going to follow through on his word, in which he says (in the previews) that he's going to find her/them, and then kill them.

Edited by Gopher

Not sure if I detect some sarcasm on your part, but a movie/show has to be halfway decent to reach "Spoiler" status... this one simply isn't. It's one of those where the "best" parts are given away in the previews. More importantly, you can pretty much tell by watching the previews that Neeson is going to find the daughter. The theme throughout is that he's going to follow through on his word, in which he says (in the previews) that he's going to find her/them, and then kill them.

Pretty sure you didnt. :wacko:

I know that I risk a spoiler anytime that I read these threads but when I am considering a movie and the opening post gives it a B-, I will then generally read a little further and see if there are others that see it the same way.

Anytime we do that we do run the risk of spoilage. It would be nice if you would go back and edit in the spoiler tags. It is too late for me but maybe not for others.

I know that I risk a spoiler anytime that I read these threads but when I am considering a movie and the opening post gives it a B-, I will then generally read a little further and see if there are others that see it the same way.

Anytime we do that we do run the risk of spoilage. It would be nice if you would go back and edit in the spoiler tags. It is too late for me but maybe not for others.

Done.... I couldn't remember how to "black out" the spoiler, but I inserted a warning at least. :wacko:

This thread and movie have done two things for me...

First, I'm getting to the point where I really don't care to go see movies in a theater much anymore. Too many "meh" movies that leave you wishing you hadn't wasted the money, frankly, and with a 50-inch plasma, reclining sectional sofa, plus better/cheaper snacks/beverages at home, there are that many less reasons why I would want to go spend a minimum of $40 to see a movie. I'm sure we'll still go now and then, but it will have to be something we really want to see, rather than just deciding to go and pick the best of what's playing, only to realize that you saw the best part of the movie in the previews three weeks ago.

Secondly, I was planning on watching all of the seasons of 24 at some point... Never seen an episode in my life. After the comparisons in this thread, I can't help but think about re-evaluating my plan to do so... :wacko:

Secondly, I was planning on watching all of the seasons of 24 at some point... Never seen an episode in my life. After the comparisons in this thread, I can't help but think about re-evaluating my plan to do so... :wacko:

Just my opinion but 24 in the earlier seasons was great. Later years are okay but not the same as the early years. I would still do the 24 thing back to back to back. I actually watched the first two, maybe even three, seasons back to back before I started watching it weekly.

First, I'm getting to the point where I really don't care to go see movies in a theater much anymore. Too many "meh" movies that leave you wishing you hadn't wasted the money,

+1.85:1

I won't go to the theater unless it's something really special. I've got a 60 inch plasma, a subscription to Netflix, and a pantry full of microwave popcorn. This is so much better than the theater. I especially like seeing a movie again the next day with commentary.

I'll probably see Watchmen in the theater, and that'll be it for the year.

Series gets old during the 8 weeks he's asleep (1 week for every hour). Sometimes he sleeps in...

• 4 months later...
Finally catching up a bit on the "guy" movies I rarely get to see now that I'm hitched... :wacko: .... and watched this today. Good, solid flick. Neeson is solid. Agree with the OP; it gets a B+.

We just watched it over the weekend actually, and I actually agree with Gopher on just about everything. The one thing I really hated though was the damn preview and part of the movie... "I have a particular set of skills... skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.... blah blah blah"

I give it a C, tops.

love it, but you say unrealistic? I think the contrary. I'm always watching these documentaries on discovery ID, MS NBC, human trafficking is real, it's brutal, it happens here, and abroad...every bit like what this fictional movie accounts, and then some. I saw a Ukranian woman "brought" to the US in Detriot, was tortured, forced into sex slavery, beaten. Oh it happens, it happens even worse than the movie portrays all across the globe. It's terrible & I feel so bad for these women and even small girls that are forced into it.

love it, but you say unrealistic? I think the contrary. I'm always watching these documentaries on discovery ID, MS NBC, human trafficking is real, it's brutal, it happens here, and abroad...every bit like what this fictional movie accounts, and then some. I saw a Ukranian woman "brought" to the US in Detriot, was tortured, forced into sex slavery, beaten. Oh it happens, it happens even worse than the movie portrays all across the globe. It's terrible & I feel so bad for these women and even small girls that are forced into it.

I work for the Navy, and everyone, I believe DoD wide, had to take a mandatory online training course on human trafficking. This movie was very realistic on that part of it, and it's just a sad, horrific part of our culture. These girls can be snatched up in minutes and they never see it coming.

i really enjoyed this movie. intense action, non-stop. liam was great in the role and it was exciting to follow him through the chase. his friends referred to him as rambo, and there was definitely an element of that in the movie.

:wacko::D

oh, and if you are considering a reverse mortgage, i may have a contact for you.