[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Funny John Clayton quote

Seahawks21

Only three teams in the league have made the playoffs over 50% of the time, the Cowboys with 60%, the Vikings with 53%, and the Dolphins with 52%.

Those are great teams although the Dolphins and Vikings haven't made it to the SB in some time.

The other teams are very good teams. To call any on that list failures is a bit :wacko:

Only three teams in the league have made the playoffs over 50% of the time, the Cowboys with 60%, the Vikings with 53%, and the Dolphins with 52%.

There were no playoffs until 1932 (which was a disputed playoff game itself). The first official NFL championship game was in 1933.

So the percentages are modified to b (only NYG, GB, and CHI were on the list to get a modified number):

30 NYG - Made Playoffs 39% of the years in the league that the NFL had playoffs.

29 Dallas - Made Playoffs 60% of the years in the league.

28 Cleveland - Made Playoffs 45% of the years in the league.

27 The Rams - Made Playoffs 38% of the years in the league.

25 Minnesota - Made Playoffs 53% of the years in the league.

25 Pittsburgh - Made Playoffs 33% of the years in the league.

24 Green Bay - Made Playoffs 31% of the years in the league that NFL had playoffs.

24 Chicago - Made Playoffs 31% of the years in the league that the NFL had playoffs.

23 San Francisco - Made Playoffs 37% of years in the league.

22 Colts - Made Playoffs 42% of years in the league.

22Redskins - Made Playoffs 29% of years in the league.

22Dolphins - Made Playoffs 52% of the years in the league.

21 Eagles - Made Playoffs 28% of the years in the league.

21Raiders - Made Playoffs 44% of the years in the league.

21Titans/Oilers. - Made the Playoffs 44% of the years in league.

Also note that from 1933 to 1966, the NFL had only a championship game with only 2 teams making it to the playoffs (with the exception that if 2 teams were tied for a division lead, there would be a tie-breaking playoff game between those 2 teams to determine who would make it to the championship game. This was done 8 times from 1941-1965. The NFL playoff tiebreaking system began in 1967.) So it skews the playoff appearences percentages downward for older franchises.

Also note that from 1933 to 1966, the NFL had only a championship game with only 2 teams making it to the playoffs (with the exception that if 2 teams were tied for a division lead, there would be a tie-breaking playoff game between those 2 teams to determine who would make it to the championship game. This was done 8 times from 1941-1965. The NFL playoff tiebreaking system began in 1967.) So it skews the playoff appearences percentages downward for older franchises.

Regardless Dallas still comes out on top if you start in 1967. :wacko:

They are not failures, they are just second rate. One SB win in 40 years = failure in anyone's book.

I don't see anyone saying that but you. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Marino, the Bills and Bud Grant Vikings are still winners. Just getting to the super bowl is a victory.

Not in Super Bowl wins. :wacko:

They're a failure according to Polk's logic.

They are tied for 1st Superbowl wins. There is no way you can say PIT beat SEA. You can say SEA lost, but you can not count that as a win, unless you are Bill Leavy.

They are tied for 1st Superbowl wins. There is no way you can say PIT beat SEA. You can say SEA lost, but you can not count that as a win, unless you are Bill Leavy.

Like I said, everyone hates a winner Mr. Gore.

Winners win.

Whiners whine.

Oh gosh, now I'm whining again? I have done absolutely zero whining about the Steelers, going all the way back to the Super Bowl against my Seahawks. Not a peep. I just thought it was an interesting bit that they came up with. I think it may have actually been the local guy that did the research, but they went back and found out that in Super Bowls, the Steelers' opponents have literally been called for twice as many penalties as the Steelers. Not entirely sure how sharing this with the group is whining. Now, the OKC thing, yes, I am bitter, and yes I am whining.

There were no playoffs until 1932 (which was a disputed playoff game itself). The first official NFL championship game was in 1933.

Wasn't that the Pottsville Maroons in 32?

Wasn't that the Pottsville Maroons in 32?

No. Bears won the disputed game.

The Bears and Portsmouth Spartans were tied for the league lead, so they decided to play a playoff game for the first time, but due to a blizzard, the game was moved to the old Chicago Stadium. Since this was a basketball arena, it was too small to hold a regulation field, so a smaller field was used and some rule modifications were made from it. Thus the game is still disputed. The Bears won 9-0 and the cause was to adjust the regular-season standings, thus giving the Bears the best record and the championship that year.

And was the first instance of an indoor game, and first Arena game.

edit: wikipedia article

Edited by Big John

No. Bears won the disputed game.

The Bears and Portsmouth Spartans were tied for the league lead, so they decided to play a playoff game for the first time, but due to a blizzard, the game was moved to the old Chicago Stadium. Since this was a basketball arena, it was too small to hold a regulation field, so a smaller field was used and some rule modifications were made from it. Thus the game is still disputed. The Bears won 9-0 and the cause was to adjust the regular-season standings, thus giving the Bears the best record and the championship that year.

And was the first instance of an indoor game, and first Arena game.

edit: wikipedia article

Portsmouth had a tackle that weighed a whopping 248 pounds.