[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Hometown / Where You Live Now

darin3

I've been thinking a lot about this topic for a few months now, and it's come to a head over the past couple of weeks, especially since I made my last trip back to Southern California for the foreseeable future. So, for those of you that live far enough away from where you grew up, what do you miss about your hometown? What things in your new hometown make things balance out?

Hometown: Costa Mesa, CA

1. My family - This goes without saying, but not being able to see my parents whenever I want is a pretty big deal. When I lived local, I'd see them at least once a week.

2. My local friends - Granted, a lot of my better friends from high school moved away, but there was still a good network of friends still there.

3. The beach - I was never a big beach guy; didn't surf or anything. But there was just something about heading down to the beach on a summer afternoon and evening and feeling/smelling that ocean breeze.

4. Certain restaurants and bars/hangouts - Every time I went home on business, I always tried to eat at my favorite spots: be it Del Taco, or hole in the wall places. And as a few Huddlers can attest to, I was a "regular" at a few real fun bars in Costa Mesa. This goes along with #2, as I enjoyed hanging out with my local friends at these spots and catching up and having a few brewskis. :wacko:

5. The location, in general - A 30-minute, cheap flight to Vegas. An hour or so drive to ski resorts (not that I skied, but the wife snowboards). An hour to destinations in LA or San Diego or Palm Springs.

6. Security - When you boil it down, being close to where you grew up just makes you feel safe and secure. Be it family, or friends you grew up with, there's something to say about being comfortable in your own 'hood.

New "Hometown": Austin, TX

1. The "vibe" of this city - I guess the number one thing in this balancing act is the fact that this city is so vibrant, with so much going for it and so much do to. Be it the yearly SXSW music festival, Austin City Limits music festival, the host of great bars and restaurants, there's always something going on here. It was easy to get comfortable.

2. New friends - I guess it's a given that you make new friends. I have always been nervous/leery about meeting new friends, even when I went away to college. But I ended up making friendships in college that will last my lifetime, so I had to be open to meeting people here. I've made some good friends here.

3. The challenge of starting my own company - I'm not always 100% confident in myself, but I have to remain strong and believe in myself and my concept. I've been told I offer an invaluable service, so I just need to weather this storm, because in the long run, I think it will make for a good life for me, my wife, and my eventual family.

4. Bars/restaurants - I guess this kind of coincides with #1, but there are just SO many awesome restaurants and fun bars/hangouts here in Austin. You really can find anything here.

5. The lake - Again, not much of a water guy, but going out on our friends' boat for the day is simply awesome.

6. Location - Much like my "real hometown", there's a lot of interesting spots pretty nearby: San Antonio's an hour away, Dallas about 3 or 3/1/2, Houston about 2 1/2. Lots of camping and just gorgeous scenery around Austin. And an 8-hour drive to my wife's hometown of Baton Rouge, LA.

- - - - - - -

So, it looks like things balance out pretty well. I still miss "home", but am exploring my new hometown and finding that it's definitely more than adequate.

What say you, if you're in a similar situation?

Grew up in Miami, FL.

Miss the culture compared to Denver. Miss my family, but that's also a benefit since they drive me crazy. Other than the extensive food, music and ocean, Denver destroys Miami in so many ways. Plus, my wife and child are here, so that helps.

Kinda funny how our situations mirror one another's a bit. Both from beachy spots, now living in very desirable locales. I've been to Denver; love it, and found many similarities to Austin.

Grew up in GB.

+ Familiar surroundings, low crime rate, better hometown cooking. Miss parts of what is left of my family.

- Bunch of "good old boy" attitude that persisted where i never fit in - very cliquish. Some winters seemed to last forever.

Now by Atlanta-

+ More travel opportunities with a major airport. More sporting events. More opportunities around here.

- Major traffic tieups with everything very spread out so it takes a long time to get anywhere. Unbearably hot summers where the humidity just doesn't go away.

Born in Alexandria, Louisiana. Then moved to Birmingham, Alabama; then Little Rock, Arkansas; then Weisbaden, then Ramstein, then Kaiserslautern in what was West Germany at the time; then Austin, Texas, then Tillamook, Oregon; then Hebo, Oregon; then Autsin, Texas; then Pt. Arena, California; then Fargo, ND, then San Diego, California; then LIttle Creek, Virginia; then Moorhead, Minnesota; then Pottsboro, Texas to Dallas.

They all had their charms.

I've been thinking a lot about this topic for a few months now, and it's come to a head over the past couple of weeks, especially since I made my last trip back to Southern California for the foreseeable future. So, for those of you that live far enough away from where you grew up, what do you miss about your hometown? What things in your new hometown make things balance out?

Hometown: Costa Mesa, CA

1. My family - This goes without saying, but not being able to see my parents whenever I want is a pretty big deal. When I lived local, I'd see them at least once a week.

2. My local friends - Granted, a lot of my better friends from high school moved away, but there was still a good network of friends still there.

3. The beach - I was never a big beach guy; didn't surf or anything. But there was just something about heading down to the beach on a summer afternoon and evening and feeling/smelling that ocean breeze.

4. Certain restaurants and bars/hangouts - Every time I went home on business, I always tried to eat at my favorite spots: be it Del Taco, or hole in the wall places. And as a few Huddlers can attest to, I was a "regular" at a few real fun bars in Costa Mesa. This goes along with #2, as I enjoyed hanging out with my local friends at these spots and catching up and having a few brewskis. :wacko:

5. The location, in general - A 30-minute, cheap flight to Vegas. An hour or so drive to ski resorts (not that I skied, but the wife snowboards). An hour to destinations in LA or San Diego or Palm Springs.

6. Security - When you boil it down, being close to where you grew up just makes you feel safe and secure. Be it family, or friends you grew up with, there's something to say about being comfortable in your own 'hood.

New "Hometown": Austin, TX

1. The "vibe" of this city - I guess the number one thing in this balancing act is the fact that this city is so vibrant, with so much going for it and so much do to. Be it the yearly SXSW music festival, Austin City Limits music festival, the host of great bars and restaurants, there's always something going on here. It was easy to get comfortable.

2. New friends - I guess it's a given that you make new friends. I have always been nervous/leery about meeting new friends, even when I went away to college. But I ended up making friendships in college that will last my lifetime, so I had to be open to meeting people here. I've made some good friends here.

3. The challenge of starting my own company - I'm not always 100% confident in myself, but I have to remain strong and believe in myself and my concept. I've been told I offer an invaluable service, so I just need to weather this storm, because in the long run, I think it will make for a good life for me, my wife, and my eventual family.

4. Bars/restaurants - I guess this kind of coincides with #1, but there are just SO many awesome restaurants and fun bars/hangouts here in Austin. You really can find anything here.

5. The lake - Again, not much of a water guy, but going out on our friends' boat for the day is simply awesome.

6. Location - Much like my "real hometown", there's a lot of interesting spots pretty nearby: San Antonio's an hour away, Dallas about 3 or 3/1/2, Houston about 2 1/2. Lots of camping and just gorgeous scenery around Austin. And an 8-hour drive to my wife's hometown of Baton Rouge, LA.

- - - - - - -

So, it looks like things balance out pretty well. I still miss "home", but am exploring my new hometown and finding that it's definitely more than adequate.

What say you, if you're in a similar situation?

If you go to San Antonio River Walk and stop and eat at "Boudreous" (SP) ask for Zach as your waiter and you will meet my step-son... A-1 personality and he will hook you up.

I grew up in a little podunk town in eastern CT. I go back there every year to visit relatives for the holidays. I do not under any circumstances miss living there.

I grew up in North Bergen New Jersey. I loved it. Tough little town made up of real people. I am still very close to many people from there. Moved to Ridgefield park NJ when I was 18 and lived there until I got married at 28. Another awesome town. People were great but more laid back then the North Bergen crew. Now live in Waldwick NJ. I like this town a lot. It is surrounded by some pretty big money towns but my town is a middle class fairly down to earth type of place. My kids love the school and their friends and families seem like a good lot.

Palmer, AK

Anchorage, AK

Wallace, ID

Carlisle, PA

Boiling Springs, PA

Carlisle, PA

Portland, OR

Lewistown, PA

Portland, OR

Salt Lake City, UT

Portland, OR

Newberg, OR

Coos Bay, OR

Newberg, OR

San Diego, CA

Kodiak, AK

Whidbey Island, WA

San Francisco, CA

Kodiak, AK

Erie, PA

Norfolk, VA

San Diego, CA

Campo, CA

San Diego, CA

Thurso, Scotland

Virginia Beach, VA

Norfolk, VA

Redmond, OR

Diego Garcia, BIOT

Guam

Reno, NV

Lafayette, OR

Bremerton, WA

Can't say that any place was different from any other except maybe Thurso. All have their goods and all have their bads. All offer interesting things to do and interesting things to see. Can't say I miss any of them except, again, maybe Thurso. Been here in Bremerton for over 20 years now and I can't say I am impressed.

Palmer, AK

Anchorage, AK

Wallace, ID

Carlisle, PA

Boiling Springs, PA

Carlisle, PA

Portland, OR

Lewistown, PA

Portland, OR

Salt Lake City, UT

Portland, OR

Newberg, OR

Coos Bay, OR

Newberg, OR

San Diego, CA

Kodiak, AK

Whidbey Island, WA

San Francisco, CA

Kodiak, AK

Erie, PA

Norfolk, VA

San Diego, CA

Campo, CA

San Diego, CA

Thurso, Scotland

Virginia Beach, VA

Norfolk, VA

Redmond, OR

Diego Garcia, BIOT

Guam

Reno, NV

Lafayette, OR

Bremerton, WA

Can't say that any place was different from any other except maybe Thurso. All have their goods and all have their bads. All offer interesting things to do and interesting things to see. Can't say I miss any of them except, again, maybe Thurso. Been here in Bremerton for over 20 years now and I can't say I am impressed.

I knew you were going to beat me. :wacko:

Hometown:

I lived all over the Bay Area during my formative years, but for the sake of this discussion, we'll say Santa Cruz, CA as it is the only city that I lived in both as a kid and adult and, I think was the place I spent the most total years.

What I miss:

The fact that it was almost never hotter than 80 or colder than 50. Seriously, maybe 8 total hours each of 10 total days per year on each side of that range. Made for a pretty easy lifestyle. I was doing triathalons back then and it was pretty easy to train since you could swim outdoors year round and could run or cycle without worrying about it being too cold, too hot, or even raining for that matter.

The proximity to amazing food (in Santa Cruz, primarily to raw product, but in the greater Bay Area, amazing prepared foods as well). Where I live now is certainly catching up quickly (Gourmet Mag named the greater Chapel Hill/ Durham area the best small town for foodies last year), but it's not quite the same yet. Every time I go home, I love to hit the farmer's market. Also, the fish is stellar.

My old friends. I actually know of few people who are as close to their old HS friends as I am to mine and it's not like nobody went anywhere. A lot moved all over the country (and world) and ended up back at home. Lot's of smart, kind, and interesting people that it's always great to come back home to. Both my parents moved away over the years, so there's not much family to go back for. My sister lives in the East Bay, but we're not that close anyway.

The geography. Very, very cool and, again, great for cycling. Beautiful mountains that but up right to the ocean make for some great rides.

The wine country. Again, greater bay area but still, very close by to some pretty famous juice.

Not so much?

My old "friends". Not only did many old friends stick around or come back, plenty of people who I have absolutely nothing to say to did as well. And, every Friday night at most any bar downtown, may as well be a HS reunion and that can get pretty old.

Housing. Mostly what drove us away. Just weren't about to drop what it was going to take to get into a decent home.

Hippies. Dude. Serious downside to living anywhere progressive is the hippies. When you couple that with a place that is super temperate and easy to live in, it just gets worse. There's hippies around here but, because it gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer, most of the total losers probably move someplace "easier".

Durham, NC.

I've often said that this area is about as cool a place as I can afford to live and I think it's probably about true. That isn't to say there's not other places that would fit the bill but I know this is on the short list.

ACC hoops. Nuff said. I really dig college b-ball, so it doesn't suck living within 10 miles of two of the greatest programs in the history of the game. It's like religion out here.

Already referenced the food and the affordable housing above.

Intelligent and progressive population. I think we have something like the highest PhD per capita in the country or something. Tons of schools around here spitting out tons of educated people. Further, others still come for the high tech industry, hospitals, and such. So, there's a good chance that the person you're talking to is not stupid. You can find ignant rednecks, but you kinda have to look for them.

The cycling thing is a double edged sword. There's great country roads to hit (though not many hills or mountains without going several hours west) but it's not that great a place to just get around on a bike. To ride from my house to anywhere cool, like a decent corner grocery or a bar or local cafe, I have to brave some roads that are super, super busy and have no shoulder. In other words, it just can't be done.

Was born and raised In Portsmouth, VA. I lived in the city until I was about 28 yrs old and moved to Chesapeake VA which is a drive across a bridge. I bought my first home when I was 23. I had planned on moving out at 20 but when my dad died I stayed at home since I still had a younger brother and sister and felt like I needed to help out. I just realized that from the time I started 1st grade I lived in homes all within 4 miles of each other. I didn't know I like the area so much. It is a good place to live IMO.

Good topic...

Hometown: Wilmington, Delaware (might as well be a suburb of Philadelphia)

1. Family and friends -- my good friends have moved away, but most are still in the northeast so I assume I would see them more often then I do now. While I like the fact that I am not obligated to go to family functions all the time, I miss not having them close by so I can get to things I enjoy doing with them. I miss my family much more since my daughter was born.

2. Summers at Long Beach Island, NJ -- to me, this is ultimately what summer is. There is something very relaxing about the beach I went to growing up and think I would go down there many weekends in the summer if I still lived back east.

3. The food -- I'd be even heavier than I am now, but I miss the gut busting cheesesteaks, soft pretzles, and other Philly favorites that are much harder to get out here in Los Angeles. I love the fact that there's a cheesesteak spot on almost ever corner.

4. My hometown sports teams -- I love going to hockey and baseball games, but I admit it loses something if I'm not watching my team. We used to have season tickets to the Phillies (my sister still does) and if I lived back east I'd be going to at least 10 games a season, if not more.

New "Hometown": Los Angeles

1. Weather Weather Weather -- I HATE the bitter cold, ice, and snow. SoCal may have the absolute best weather in the country IMO and is probably the main reason I resist the urge to live anywhere else. If you don't like the cold, I challange anyone to live here for 3 years and then try to go back and live in the cold weather.

2. Culture, diversity, and the "vibe" (as darin says): I have heard from friends that Austin and LA are very similar if you took the hollywood element out of LA. A pretty laid back, liberal scene. I'm guessing Austin is more laid back, but the general acceptance of others in Los Angeles is hard to match elsewhere in the country.

3. In-N-Out, Souplantation, and local restaurants -- so we don't have quite as many cheesesteak places as the Philly/Delaware area, but LA has a lot to offer food-wise. I am not huge into Mexican, but if you want that, LA has it in spades. I know IN-N-Out is in Nevada and Arizona as well, but I have yet to find a tastier, better fast food hamburger anywhere in the country.

4. My new friends -- Some aren't so new any more since I've been here for over 14 years, but I have some great friends here that would make leaving Los Angeles extremely difficult.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Hometown: Richmond, CA

A seriously bad place to grow up... But I lived there until I was 18.

1. Family and friends: Long gone. I do have relatives in Vacaville, Napa, Sacramento, and Fremont.

2. Food: Junk food, Best Burger I still have ever had, Nations burger, Richmond/San Pablo location. And Caspers Hot Dogs, but bring your bullett-proof vest for the MacDonald Ave Location, but the Hot Dog is worth it. Whenever I'm back in the Bay Area, I have to hit those places at least twice.

3. What I loved: Your across the bay from San Francisco and you are next door to Berkley. Where everything from Food, Clubs, etc.. are available. The people laid back, and as Darin mentioned, there is something about living near the beach. I still go back (SF) every couple of years. If I could afford it, I'd move back in a minute.

New Hometown: Tucson,AZ

1. Friends and Family: My kids and Grandkids all live here. Enuff said....

2. Food: Some of the best Mexican I have every had. Tucson also has a lot of high end establishments so the selection is good. Nightlife, it is a big university town, so lots of bars and hangouts.

3. Weather: It's going to be 80 today..... Mild winters, hot summers. We are almost surrounded by mountains, so when it's a 105-110 here, a 1 hour drive up Mt. Lemmon and you are in the forest, and it's 75. In the winter, go up to play in the snow.

4. What I love: It's a relaxed, very casual town. You can walk into anywhere is shorts and it's acceptable.

5. What I hate: It's an 8 hour drive to get to the ocean. I truely miss the coast. It's really not a proper big city, kinda spread out. And I'm not impressed with the educational system, one of the worst in my opinion. To many uneducated dropouts and too few well paying jobs.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Hometown: Richmond, CA

A seriously bad place to grow up... But I lived there until I was 18.

Unless you like getting lots of days off from school. Wasn't that where the school district just flat ran out of money and had to call school a month or so early one year?

Born in Woodside , NY and also spent 9 years in Brooklyn

Now live in Jackson , NJ

I miss very little if anything from where I grew up ....neighborhood changed too much and all my friends left at one time or another .... My parents still in Woodside and that is only reason I would still visit

One thing I miss from Brooklyn is the pizza and bakeries ...nothing like them in NJ imho

Born in Woodside , NY and also spent 9 years in Brooklyn

Now live in Jackson , NJ

I miss very little if anything from where I grew up ....neighborhood changed too much and all my friends left at one time or another .... My parents still in Woodside and that is only reason I would still visit

One thing I miss from Brooklyn is the pizza and bakeries ...nothing like them in NJ imho

Hudson county NJ has good bakeries. Not a good one near me in bergen county either

Grew up in Cicero Illinois. Knew too many "connected guys". Had to get out of there! :D

Went to college in DeKalb. :wacko: Owned a popcorn biz. That was cool!

Lived in Westmont for 2 years (Apt) :D

Lived in West Chicago (~15 years). Nice town, nice neighbors, and a Good place to live and have your children grow.

Currently (and for the last 19 years) have lived in Winfield. Nice, quite little bedroom community. Great neighbors. Good place to live and have your children grow.

I've lived almost exactly half my life in NYC and half in the Jersey suburbs. My attitude constantly circles back and forth: When I'm working in the garden and BBQ'ing in the back yard I consider myself a suburbanite until I get a hankering for some bagels and pizza and have to head up to the city. Walking down Broadway with a Gray's Papaya Dog I think "Oh yeah, I'm a city guy for sure". Then a siren goes by in the middle of the night when I'm in a dead sleep or I go out for a casual lunch and spend $35 and think "I gotta get my azz back to the burbs!"

I guess what I'm saying is, I love where I live because I can have either lifestyle whenever I want. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Born and Raised-Cincinnati OH-miss nothing about So. Ohio except being so far from my mother, who I dearly love.

Moved to and then back to:

SF Bay Area (Berkeley, Half Moon Bay Area-Moss Beach to be exact-and Walnut Creek-Alamo to be exact) I really loved the culture,

cusine, and being around well rounded, forward thinking, educated and enriching people.

Lived in Sacramento Area between tenures in SF Area-more down to earth than SF Bay Area. Could easily live there again but has turned into a mini LA without the Botox, high maintenance types in need for therapy. Meaning quite spreadout and lacking culture, but a very hometown feel. Too many republicans though :wacko:

Now in Bend OR-would be paradise if you could give me California weather. Many transplants from CA. Every transplant I've met has been enriching and well educated. Also transplants from Portland and Seattle, both wonderful cities with their own culture to contribute to our town. The shallow and show off my weath types don't move here, they move to Las Vegas , Palm Springs or Phoenix. Or they move here and in live in the gated community of Broken Top where they hide behind their gated walls.

Hometown:

San Francisco, CA

- friends and family. one of my favorite things is watching my daughter play with my mother. my high school was like a big fraternity. was a very tight community (and still is). love going out and bumping into old friends.

- food scene. SF (and the surrounding areas) makes for one of the best food cities in the world. i like my old favorites and there is never redundancy. many options, that are very good!! very innovative, creative city........ :wacko: miss the ethnic food quite a bit

- culture. i used to enjoy the theater, comedy shows, museums, ethnic street fairs, events and shows at the park, sophisticated/educated community, liberal/progressive.

- so many things i like nearby. napa, carmel, beaches, santa cruz, lake tahoe, sporting events.

New hometown:

i'll say Summit County, CO

- mountains. love them in the winter and summer. just gorgeous being up there on the peaks. i am a skiier. i am in my mecca.

- environment. love seeing the large flakes falling slowly, smell of the fireplaces, lights, etc.

- proximity. only about an hour from denver where i can get my city fix (larger variety of restaurants and sporting events)

- size. small town feel.

Edited by Bier Meister