[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your drink ?

whomper

If you are out or home having a drink what do you usually order ? Since I started bartending I have asked my friends this question because its good to hear what people are ordering so I am prepared .

I have always been a beer drinker. When I am out I rarely drink mixed drinks. I usually just have beer. What says the huddle masses ?

TBone no need to reply. I have your Captain and Coke with a lime lined up. Darin I know you like to mix it up but I think I am safe if I get a Jack N Diet ready for you.

Big John I know this may be Food and Beverage but I put it here because its research :wacko:

Edited by whomper

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to be a Crown and Coke man with a shot of Jager chaser while I was waiting for another beer. I also dabbled in the sours - vodka and tequilla mostly.

Sweet iced tea or Dr. Pepper now.

Sours were really popular that first night I worked at the bar. Grey goose sours , Whiskey sours, Amaretto sours. We poured a ton of those.

Depends on the mood.

Most of the time..Bacardi and coke. Sometimes with salt around the top.

Other times... a rum collins.

Every once in awhile 12 year old Glenffddich neat if they have it.

But then I haven't been out since last year and then I drank Iced Tea. LOL

I thought Az's suggestion that you have some sort of gimmick all your own was a great idea.

In my group of friends, beer, vodka and wine are the players. So I keep plenty of Shiner, Pedernales Cellars stuff (or whatever they have at the store) and a bottle of either Dripping Springs or SAVVY vodak around. Texas being my theme. I don't know if New Jersey has those options but certainly an idea...

Screwdriver if I'm in the mood for mixed drinks. When I was younger, a good Long Island Iced Tea. If its the hair of the dog that bit me time, then a stiff Bloody Mary hold the tobasco/pepper is in order. BTW: A Bloody Mary without celery should be a crime.

Now I'm an MGD, shot of goldschlager kinda of guy.

It completely depends on the type of place I'm going to and my mood. Though type of place trumps all because you don't want to try and get a good drink from a crappy bar.

I've been on a sazerac kick since my trip to NOLA, but that's a drink that is either delicious (if done well), or nasty if not. We made the mistake of ordering a round at a music venue and they were horrible. In fact, my friend had to talk me into trying them later on at the right kind of place, assuring me that what we drank were not, at all, sazeracs. Turns out, he was right. Learned that you want to drink that drink at a nice place where the guy can take the time (and know-how) to do it right.

To a lesser degree, same goes even for a martini. If it's a nice place that uses good stems and quality vermouth and garnish. But, nearly as importantly, that I won't look vinegary fresh sipping from some crappy excuse for a martini glass while everyone else there is pounding beers and I can relax in a nice seat, then I might go that way.

If, however, the kids at the restaurant have dragged me out to some college bar, then it's a beer or jack and coke.

It completely depends on the type of place I'm going to and my mood. Though type of place trumps all because you don't want to try and get a good drink from a crappy bar.

I've been on a sazerac kick since my trip to NOLA,

Its funny you should mention this drink. They flagged it in my bartending school book. Here is the write up

Sazerac (A New Orleans Classic trying to make a comeback)

2oz Rye Whiskey

1/2 simple syrup

2 Dashes of peychaud bitters (New Orleans anise flavored bitters)

1 dash angostura bitters

Splash of absinthe

Lemon peel

Its funny you should mention this drink. They flagged it in my bartending school book. Here is the write up

Sazerac (A New Orleans Classic trying to make a comeback)

2oz Rye Whiskey

1/2 simple syrup

2 Dashes of peychaud bitters (New Orleans anise flavored bitters)

1 dash angostura bitters

Splash of absinthe

Lemon peel

Detlef I think the availability of the peychaud bitters might make the difference between a good and a bad one

Detlef I think the availability of the peychaud bitters might make the difference between a good and a bad one

Actually, I'm pretty sure that every place down there has peychaud since it's the bitters of NOLA. The one that was nasty was nearly pink from having gotten waaay too much bitters. Also, rather than swishing around the minute amount of absinthe and pouring the rest out, they just mixed it in. Thus, the drink was too bitter and tasted too much of licorice. That and they were shaken rather than slowly stirred. Basically, they did everything wrong and, for all I know, prolly used some crappy generic anisette.

In fact, as an example of how quality and craftsmanship trumps authenticity, we're making a variation on it at Jujube right now. My pastry chef was making candied orange peel for a dessert and, as a by-product, we ended up with a bunch of orange flavored simple syrup. My bartender wanted to use it for something, so we subbed that for the regular syrup and did equal parts peychaud and Regan's Orange Bitters No. 6, which is an artisan bitters out of Kentucky (I think). Drink is stellar.

Interesting side note on the Regan's Bitters. Because bitters is usually 70 proof and yet is sold as grocery rather than liquor (like extracts), the FDA tests it to make sure it's nasty enough that nobody would want to drink it. They refused a number of his recipes because they weren't nasty enough until he finally made a batch, just undrinkable enough to be considered bitters. Kinda funny.

Side note #2. There's no easier and cheaper way to upgrade your bar than to use top notch bitters and vermouths. The good ones cost way more than the cheap stuff, but you use so little that it doesn't change the cost of the drink that much. None the less, a Manhattan made with Vya sweet or a martini made with Vya dry both taste 10x better than one made with the basic stuff and, IMO, both make a much, much bigger difference than an upgrade on the basic liquor in the drink. Assuming, of course that you're not using rot gut.

Edited by detlef

Actually, I'm pretty sure that every place down there has peychaud since it's the bitters of NOLA. The one that was nasty was nearly pink from having gotten waaay too much bitters. Also, rather than swishing around the minute amount of absinthe and pouring the rest out, they just mixed it in. Thus, the drink was too bitter and tasted too much of licorice. That and they were shaken rather than slowly stirred. Basically, they did everything wrong and, for all I know, prolly used some crappy generic anisette.

I meant when you had the drink away from Nola in regards to the availability of the peychaud. I have never made one of those but you make a great point about shaking and not stirring as it is something they emphasized to us in class. Like in a manhattan you usually stir whiskey so not to dilute the flavor unless its in a sour