[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need a new book

rajncajn

I haven't picked up a book in way too long, so I need some suggestions for something to read... most preferably something I can get in paperback. I hate spending hardback prices for something I may only read once. I like pretty much anything that's going to really hold my attention, but usually my favorites tend to be historical fiction & non-fiction as well as some sci-fi fantasy & suspense. Not looking for any graphic horror or anything like that, they always tend to bore me because they are so far-fetched.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can help with sci-fan. Who/what have you read that you've liked?

also, get it from the library :wacko: we save thousands of dollars a year between books, cds and dvds.

The last Sci-fi series I read was Orson Scott Card's Ender series. I got 3 books in, but never finished the series. I'd like to finish it sometime, but it's been so long I'd want to re-read the first 3 and right now I'd prefer something that can stand on it's own.

I haven't picked up a book in way too long, so I need some suggestions for something to read... most preferably something I can get in paperback. I hate spending hardback prices for something I may only read once. I like pretty much anything that's going to really hold my attention, but usually my favorites tend to be historical fiction & non-fiction as well as some sci-fi fantasy & suspense. Not looking for any graphic horror or anything like that, they always tend to bore me because they are so far-fetched.

Picked up an awesome Sci-Fi at the airport - CHINDI.

Excerpt:

The universe has been explored - and humanity has all but given up on finding other intelligent life. then an alien satellite orbiting a distant star sends out an unreadable signal. is it the final programmed gasp of an ancient, long-dead race? or the first greeting of an undiscovered life-form? Academy starship captain Priscilla Hutchins and the once-maligned Contact Society are about to learn the answers...to more questions than they could possibly concieve of asking.

Highly reccommend.

Even better, there is a whole series revolving around this Academy and their exploration.

Sci-Fi meets Indiana Jones.

Supercapitalism by Richard Reich. I can't say that I agree with his conclusions, but he does lay out the groundwork from an economic standpoint as to how America ended up where we are today. Written for the lay person, there's a lot of "That makes so much sense, why didn't i see that" sort of moments in this book for me. The wife actually bought a second copy as both are being lent out as fast as we get them back.

since i'm a superman fan, my wife got me this book 'the last days of krypton' by kevin j anderson for christmas. i wasn't too excited about reading it since it was pre-superman and sort of told already (planet blows up, jor-el sends us kal-el), but it is really good. it goes into the back story of zod and his 2 buddies and brings up braniac and martian manhunter as well. it's written well and is a pretty fast read. enjoying it much more than i thought i would.

:wacko:

OSC is a great writer, so if you want more of him, but standalone books, my favorite would be "Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus".

Hmmm :wacko:

Looking at the link I also saw Enchantment. It's a bit different as it's a bit of an adaptation of Sleeping Beauty but based more along the lines of the folktale version. A pretty good stand alone read though.

I just finished Tyrannosaur Canyon - kind of Crichton-esque and kept my attention. I'd say it's a decent mind-numbing science based thriller to get lost in. He partnered with another writer and did Relic which they made a movie out of. The movie was horrible but the book was good.

Edited by twiley

I just finished Tyrannosaur Canyon - kind of Crichton-esque and kept my attention. I'd say it's a decent mind-numbing science based thriller to get lost in. He partnered with another writer and did Relic which they made a movie out of. The movie was horrible but the book was good.

You're talking the Child/Preston books. Alone or as a team they are very good writers with interesting books. Very enjoyable.

rajn'... have you tried any of the James Rollins books?

Don't remember how big your town is, but check for a used book store. Usually knowledgable people, cheap books and and you can keep them for as long as you want and later sell them back to the same store (for half the price).

You're talking the Child/Preston books. Alone or as a team they are very good writers with interesting books. Very enjoyable.

rajn'... have you tried any of the James Rollins books?

Yeah, I've also read all of Rollins books too. I was a tad disappointed with the last one though - The Last Oracle. It didn't grab me like the other books.

Sky- if you ever want to take it up a notch and get into some absurd action that's borderline unbelievable then check out Matthew Reilly's books. I'd say he's Rollins on speed.

Edited by twiley

Yeah, I've also read all of Rollins books too. I was a tad disappointed with the last one though - The Last Oracle. It didn't grab me like the other books.

Sky- if you ever want to take it up a notch and get into some absurd action that's borderline unbelievable then check out Matthew Reilly's books. I'd say he's Rollins on speed.

Yeah... the last one wasn't up to speed for sure.

I have read all of Reilly's books too. :wacko:

Stephen Hunter books

These books are really good. I'd start with Point of Impact or Dirty White Boys. Also, most of these can be found in your local used book store or library. No sense in spending full price unless it's a brand new book.

Some good books by Hunter but Mark Wahlberg as Bob Lee Swagger in the movie "Shooter" was a joke. Polksalet would have been better, least he is from Arkansas!