[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garden Talk

SheikYerbuti

Spent the day yesterday weeding out the planters, added a ton of compost and turned the soil.

Today I'm planting 2 kinds of spinach and cherry and beefsteak tomatoes. Strawberry patch is flowering like crazy.

Wheeee!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been eating salad from the garden for over a month. :wacko: I have cabbage, brocolli, brussel sprouts and onions in the ground as well. I will be going outside this evening to prepare for planting tomorrow. I will plant tomatoes, squash, peppers, eggplant and a few other things.

:D Happy Gardening

I have been eating salad from the garden for over a month. :wacko: I have cabbage, brocolli, brussel sprouts and onions in the ground as well. I will be going outside this evening to prepare for planting tomorrow. I will plant tomatoes, squash, peppers, eggplant and a few other things.

:D Happy Gardening

Surprised to see this in April. Where are you and how early did you plant? My lettuce is (was) doing well here in NC but I fear this heat wave will be trouble. Nowhere near ready to eat....All others are doing well so far, but I did spot some deer in the yard this AM :D

Surprised to see this in April. Where are you and how early did you plant? My lettuce is (was) doing well here in NC but I fear this heat wave will be trouble. Nowhere near ready to eat....All others are doing well so far, but I did spot some deer in the yard this AM :wacko:

Just look up and you will find me. I am in Chesapeake, VA. Spinach and the other veggies I planted are cool weather crops. If I thought there was going to be a heavy frost I just covered my plants with my make shift greenhouse I made out of old windows. You could have planted in mid march and been fine. I did cheat on the salad and bought some already a few inches tall. I only bought a little that way but figured it was worth it since I would have spent more money buying packs of spinach and lettuce in the store.

What part of NC are you from?

I had planned on doing on all the research and planting a small garden this year but here it is the end of April and I still haven't done a lick of research.

I really don't know what I am doing so I guess the chances of me getting anything in the ground this year are pretty small. :wacko:

I had planned on doing on all the research and planting a small garden this year but here it is the end of April and I still haven't done a lick of research.

I really don't know what I am doing so I guess the chances of me getting anything in the ground this year are pretty small. :wacko:

You have time in Pa. I don't plant anything until Memorial Day.

If you wanna plant this year without the research just get yourself some easy things like tomato plants and hot/sweet peppers. Get them in the ground and hit them with miracle grow following the directions on the package. You'll be fine.

Nothing better than fresh picked tomatoes. :D

Make it easy on yourself and buy 4 tomato plants at the store.

PLant them in a sunny spot in your yard. Will take you about 30 minutes total. And once you eat one of those fresh tomatos, you'll be hooked. Start small, and work your way up from there.

If you have kids, plant one grape tomato variety (they love to eat em right off the vine), and three that are Big Boy, or Heirloom, or maybe an Early Girl. Easy to grow, water regularly, and enjoy.

You have time in Pa. I don't plant anything until Memorial Day.

If you wanna plant this year without the research just get yourself some easy things like tomato plants and hot/sweet peppers. Get them in the ground and hit them with miracle grow following the directions on the package. You'll be fine.

Nothing better than fresh picked tomatoes. :D

Beat me to it. :wacko:

Surprised to see this in April.

Me too. Sheik . You may be early on the tomatoes IMO. The weather has been nuts and a few days of morning frost could hurt you.

Sheik . You may be early on the tomatoes IMO. The weather has been nuts and a few days of morning frost could hurt you.

I was thinking the same thing, and if that happens I have a backup plan: Go to the garden center in late May and buy some plants. :wacko:

I put down my seedlings that I've been growing in the little greenhouses for about 5 weeks for the tomatoes, carrots and corn yesterday. They are all looking great. My snaps (that's green beans to you Yankees) aren't doing much yet so I'm holding off on them.

Plan on buying some already sprouted plants in the next week or two. I put down 15 tomato plants, 40 corn, and all 50 of my carrots. The problem with growing them from seed is (for less than $2.00) you have waaaaaaay too many. I had 4 tomato plants last year and it was about the perfect amount. Oh well, my home-made spaghetti sauce will freeze just fine.

I tilled up a new area on my treeline for the plants where several trees had fallen years ago (I've only been in this place a little over 2 years and they were already down). That soil is super-rich. I had built 3 of these these little 4x8 boxes out of 1x6's and put some fencing on them since we've got all kinds of critters and I didn't want to plant the a salad bar. I'm pretty sure I've got everything too closely planted right now, but I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks and sacrifice a few that don't look good.

I should be using the clear acre field I have, but the grass on it is beautiful and I don't wanna till it up so I'm working on the edge of it. Plus, it's too much work to do with my equipment. :wacko:

Edited by TimC

We're kinda fraked where we are. The deer are like giants herds of wildebeasts sweeping majestically through my back yard. My neighbor tried to combat the problem by putting up and electric fence. The last he saw of it, it was wrapped around the horns of a rather large buck headed for parts unknown. :wacko:

So about all we can do is stuff we can grow on the deck. We'll do a coupla tomatoes and peppers but we go heavy on the fresh herbs. Dill, basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro and parsley are all stupid easy to grow and make a hugh difference in your food.

We're kinda fraked where we are. The deer are like giants herds of wildebeasts sweeping majestically through my back yard. My neighbor tried to combat the problem by putting up and electric fence. The last he saw of it, it was wrapped around the horns of a rather large buck headed for parts unknown. :wacko:

So about all we can do is stuff we can grow on the deck. We'll do a coupla tomatoes and peppers but we go heavy on the fresh herbs. Dill, basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro and parsley are all stupid easy to grow and make a hugh difference in your food.

Believe it or not, you can buy wolf urine and the deer will stay away. We had a neighbor when I was growing up the used it to keep deer out if his huge garden. It worked so well, it killed deer hunting in the area for a while as they all left... :D

Believe it or not, you can buy wolf urine and the deer will stay away. We had a neighbor when I was growing up the used it to keep deer out if his huge garden. It worked so well, it killed deer hunting in the area for a while as they all left... :wacko:

Definitely something I will look in to.

Believe it or not, you can buy wolf urine and the deer will stay away. We had a neighbor when I was growing up the used it to keep deer out if his huge garden. It worked so well, it killed deer hunting in the area for a while as they all left... :D

Is that the wolf shirt of the wild? :wacko:

Believe it or not, you can buy wolf urine and the deer will stay away. We had a neighbor when I was growing up the used it to keep deer out if his huge garden. It worked so well, it killed deer hunting in the area for a while as they all left... :wacko:

Def. works well. There's a ton of products that all smell nasty as hell that work great for keeping deer away. Just don't stand down wind while you spray it.

As for my yard this year, it's really kicked in over the last few weeks. We had an atypically cool and wet spring so many of our spring crops sort of dragged ass until recently. Also, we relocated our asparagus patch, so we knew we wouldn't get much of a crop this year and didn't. The only other veggies that we've been able to harvest so far have been radishes and the tender baby greens of any number of plants that needed thinning. Something to keep in mind, the leaves of most any root veggie or cooking green is pretty tasty when they're babies, so toss those effers right into your salad when you thin them.

Some of you may recall that we did a major overhaul to our veggie/ herb garden. Herbs are doing fine and all the propagated chunks we split off the main ones have taken well. We had so many that we were able to give a way a bunch. BTW, deer really hate most herbs, so those are great to plant if you have a problem.

About a month ago, we built a hot box and started a ton of tomatoes, basil, and peppers, a few weeks later, some squash and cukes. Yesterday I transplanted as many as I had small pots for into them, splitting up any that had two come up in the little starter pots. They all survived the move. We also put a few in the ground in places where the spring stuff just never came up or in the case of the radishes, where we've already pulled them. We're going to have way more than we can use but are having a plant sale in a few weeks for those along with a bunch of the propagated herbs.

Last spring we redid our front yard with perennials and shrubs and they've just started to come back strong.

Did you buy a kit or make one from scratch?

From scratch

We took some old metal restaurant shelving and wrapped it in 6mil visqueen. At the hardware store, they sell these adhesive zippers that you apply to tarps, unzip, and then slice open with a utility knife. Worked great.

From scratch

We took some old metal restaurant shelving and wrapped it in 6mil visqueen. At the hardware store, they sell these adhesive zippers that you apply to tarps, unzip, and then slice open with a utility knife. Worked great.

I have seen some nice boxes made using old screen doors as the top. You build a wooden enclosure and use the door as access to the plants and for venting.

Here's the solution. Venison kabobs. Marinade some back straps in teriyaki over night. Cut into 1" cubes and grill with some fresh summer squash cubed, tomato quarters, and mushrooms. Mrs. HR makes these and they disappear! The deer will get the message. Those hunting regulations are just "guidelines".