[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PDAs

detlef

I finally realized I need one and timing is right. My katana phone is starting to wear out, Both my wife and I have had our sprint service long enough since our last upgrade so we're due again (if we want to stick with sprint, mind you).

So, if I wanted to get a new phone, it would be a fine time to do so. We're not married to sprint but would obviously like to be with the same carrier, and/or have some plan that makes it free to call one another.

Here's the thing, I effing hate touchscreens. Do you ever get used to using them? I mean, for typing out e-mails and such? Everytime I use one, I'm tripping all over the damned thing and have to constantly go back to fix my chight.

This, and the fact that I don't have the time for, or discipline to avoid despite my lack of time, a cool toy that has all sorts of groovy apps makes me very weary of the iphone. That said, I'm not ruling anything out at all.

Intersting topic - I am in the same situation as you - except not married - I can change phones and carriers now and I kind of want to explore the idea of getting an Iphone.

The AT&T service is not the best here in Wisconsin which is the main thing against the Iphone.

Am intertested to see the comments in this thread.

I'm tactile like you and refuse any touch screen keyboards.

Blackberry's well established. Palm makes a great OS, and I just gave up my Treo more for curiosity over Windows Mobile, which is what I wnet with when I switched to the TouchPro.

I'm not into the apps as much as the onbaord cameras: still and video. I find those are more usefull than most apps...

I love to tweak an hack my phone and add crazy apps, and I'm not trendy enough to have an iPhone, so I use a Q. I'd probably recommend a Blackjack nowadays though... it's a better smaller phone. I'm dying to get me an Android phone though... but there's only one on the market and Sprint doesn't have it.

I like my Blackberry Curve.

I have a Blackberry Curve 8320 and really like it. Very easy to navigate, I can access both my personal and work email, GPS Navi works great when I'm traveling. Very good phone and I feel the same way about the touch screens. I had one before my Curve and brought it back within 72 hours. Although I do have an IPOD touch and that screen gives me no problems.

Thanks guys, I'll look into the curves. Seems like the 8330 had what I needed. Now I need to find out if I'll get more rebate love by re-upping my Sprint account or switching providers. I quickly checked the sprint site and they were making a big deal about the large rebate coming with new 2 year service contract. It is annoying to think but quite possibly true that's the case.

i have the bb 8900 curve and an iphone 3G. bb is a fine work device but the iphone still wins hands down in terms of usability. no issues with the touch screen for me as it performs very well. if you go bb, do the curve. my pearl broke and i was kind of glad. that 2 letters per key thing was driving me insane. the 8900 is also very light.

I have had over 20 different cell phones over the years. I'm kind of a geek when it comes to gadgets and cell stuff. I have had a blackberry and alot of other pda type phones. I now own the iphone, and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's VERY easy to use, and of course takes a little while to get used to. PATIENCE is required for the iphone, just as it would be of you got a blackberry. I STRONGLY suggest the iphone because of the ease of use, service, and easy billing. One price includes everything. People that generally say they don't like the touch screens, don't have one, or have one that isn't an iphone. Once you figure out the sensitivity of the phone vs. your fingers and how big/small they are, you will be able to type emails/text/surf the web like a pro.

If you're going to use it as a phone, I like the Blackberry Pearl, and they're coming out with an even smaller flip version shortly. The other Blackberry's are boat anchors compared to the Pearl. I do A TON of e-mail, web browsing, text messages, and I can type super fast with the smaller 2 letter keyboard, probably as fast as anyone on a full Curve or 8830 keyboard. I've gone through A LOT of devices, and this is by far the best one I've ever owned.

I have had over 20 different cell phones over the years. I'm kind of a geek when it comes to gadgets and cell stuff. I have had a blackberry and alot of other pda type phones. I now own the iphone, and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's VERY easy to use, and of course takes a little while to get used to. PATIENCE is required for the iphone, just as it would be of you got a blackberry. I STRONGLY suggest the iphone because of the ease of use, service, and easy billing. One price includes everything. People that generally say they don't like the touch screens, don't have one, or have one that isn't an iphone. Once you figure out the sensitivity of the phone vs. your fingers and how big/small they are, you will be able to type emails/text/surf the web like a pro.

I have three cell phones that I carry daily (don't ask :wacko::D ). One is personal (a basic, bare bones folder for personal calls and family/friend communication) and the other two are for "the job".

My work has issued me both tthe Blackberry 8830 World edition and the 2nd gen iPhone. To me, there is absolutely no comparison. The iPhone is a far superior device. There is a learning curve to the "feel", but you cannot beat the versatility.

I would suggest that you wait for the next version of the iPhone, due out soon that will have the vertical/horizontal capability built into almost every app. This is not a feature in the first and second gen phones and I find it a little problematic when using the email feature (which is the most incredible email app out there). The iPhone is vastly more intuitive to use and has a much greater fun factor for down time. I ride a train as part of my commute for over an hour, each way every day. I can watch movies on a screen big enough (much better video quality than the Blackberry) to actually see what is going on, listen to my tunes like an iPod, monitor email and phone, surf the web in a real browser, etc.

The horizontal function is nice, and will be better for us fat fingered folk when it is incorporated into the next gen (horizontal has bigger virtual keys). There are so many usable free apps (conversion programs and an app called Flashlight) and time killers like suduko etc. that spending money for apps is not required. Seamless to install tham, all you need is an iTunes account (free as well). I should state I am NOT an Apple guy in particular.

For converting my home DVDs for the commute to the iPhone, I use Avex. Easy. I would also get (as with any device) a quality set of ear buds. The standard white buds are goofy looking and don't fit my ears well.

The Blackberry is a very effective business tool, but to me, it ends there. When you hold them and use them side-by-side, it is like old tech and new tech. sort of like comparing a Palm/Handspring to a Blackberry. The Blackberry just feels like it has reached its maximum level and now they just keep re-packaging in different forms to keep hooking fish they already have caught.

The biggest advantage the Blackberry has over the iPhone is battery life. The iPhone sucks the juice fast and I need to charge it daily (but I use it a lot). Still the battery drains faster than it should and I keep brightness levels down unless I am watching a movie). The Blackberry seems to be good for at least three days on one charge and it gets pinged with email and phone calls at least 30 times a day.

I still also keep in my briefcase my Sony Clie with the Palm desktop. I have always loved the Palm desktop and have nine years of my life saved in the format. I know I can switch over and will have to someday, but Outlook is cumbersome to me and I have not found a personal organizer I like better. The TREO seemed promissing, but it seems like the Palm platform is dying a slow death.

I wish I could run and sink my iPhone to my Palm desktop. That would be tech geek heaven.