[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Divorce Attorney

theeohiostate

In Ohio, standard alimony is 1 year per 5 year's of marriage. Alimony (like anything else) is negotiable. The starting point will be to equalize your incomes. If you make $60k and she makes $0, she will get $30k / yr (so you both are at $30). If you make $60 and she makes $40, she will get $10 (so you both are at $50).

That makes me freakin' sick just thinking about it. Thank Gawd we don't have alimony in Texas. That has got to be one of the most unfair laws ever written.

Sorry to hear this TOS.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, perhaps you don't have to be too terribly positive, but don't be negative

The best thing for a child is to "see" both of their parents in the best possible light. They'll figure it out as they get older. I'm not saying to put Mom on a pedestal that she doesn't deserve, or hasn't earned, but too always emphasize that Mom loves you and that Mom is a good person. There is a lot of emotional blaming and guilt that goes on with children (even as young as 5) when their parents separate. Feeling good about both Mom and Dad will make the transition easier for them.

My wife informed me 3 months ago that she wanted a divorce. We sat down and agreed how we would split the property and money. She wanted to be the one to move because our house sits on family property that my parents own and since she already had a new man she said she wouldnt feel right living here. Well, she hasnt been able to get the home she wanted and now wants me to move out. And the division of money and property that we agreed on are now not enough for her (and I was gonna that the lesser amout by far in the first place to make this thing go smoothly), today she told me that I needed to get those numbers we agreed on out of my head.

So let's see...I've been at home for the last two years taking care of our kids while shes out screwing some other guy. She wants the divorce even though I practicly begged her to go to counseling for the sake of our kids. And now even though I was going to basically give her a 65-35% split on money and property, thats not enough now.

I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow at 10 am.

Two of my buddies just got a COL adjustment on their child support! One was 15% and the other was 30%. Also, not sure of the laws in Ohio but my buddy here in MN thought he would be done with child support when the kid turned 18, now he finds out that since the kid has not graduated high school (because of medical issues caused by the mom not believing in "modern" medicine) he will need to pay until the kid turns 21 or get a GED!!

shooting for $1000 month Child support and $1000 month alimony for 1 year. Then divide up assets , retirement accounts etc . Me keep house and most importantly shared parenting. Rotate every 3-4 days

If 2 parents have shared parenting, why is there child support?

My wife informed me 3 months ago that she wanted a divorce. We sat down and agreed how we would split the property and money. She wanted to be the one to move because our house sits on family property that my parents own and since she already had a new man she said she wouldnt feel right living here. Well, she hasnt been able to get the home she wanted and now wants me to move out. And the division of money and property that we agreed on are now not enough for her (and I was gonna that the lesser amout by far in the first place to make this thing go smoothly), today she told me that I needed to get those numbers we agreed on out of my head.

So let's see...I've been at home for the last two years taking care of our kids while shes out screwing some other guy. She wants the divorce even though I practicly begged her to go to counseling for the sake of our kids. And now even though I was going to basically give her a 65-35% split on money and property, thats not enough now.

the truly f*cked part of that whole story is that she probably has a good shot at getting what she wants. :wacko:

The best thing for a child is to "see" both of their parents in the best possible light. They'll figure it out as they get older. I'm not saying to put Mom on a pedestal that she doesn't deserve, or hasn't earned, but too always emphasize that Mom loves you and that Mom is a good person. There is a lot of emotional blaming and guilt that goes on with children (even as young as 5) when their parents separate. Feeling good about both Mom and Dad will make the transition easier for them.

there is a good amount of helpful info in this thread, but this right here is solid gold.

I take that btisch 'fishin'. :wacko:

Damn! I feel for you both, TOS and fingfootball. Hopefully, things work out for the best.

I'll know soon. We go in together to talk to an attorney in the morning for a dissolution , I think we're going to be able to work this out between us simply and keep a good relationship for our son's sake. We have laid it out on paper and appear to be in agreement on basically every detail. She gets wants she wants and I get my son 3-4 days every week. I could never put a price on the time with him, so I not going to argue over it. I have to not get bitter, keep a smile on and leave a fight for another day, my only concern is to be a very very large part of his life on a daily basis. If I have to live in a shack in order to do so, then so be it !

I'll know soon. We go in together to talk to an attorney in the morning for a dissolution , I think we're going to be able to work this out between us simply and keep a good relationship for our son's sake. We have laid it out on paper and appear to be in agreement on basically every detail. She gets wants she wants and I get my son 3-4 days every week. I could never put a price on the time with him, so I not going to argue over it. I have to not get bitter, keep a smile on and leave a fight for another day, my only concern is to be a very very large part of his life on a daily basis. If I have to live in a shack in order to do so, then so be it !

I'm hoping all goes smooth huddle brother

Terrific attitude in a bad situation. I hope it works out in your son's (and your) best interest.

That is the proper way to look at everything, your child is by far the most important thing and will be affected the most.

That is the proper way to look at everything, your child is by far the most important thing and will be affected the most.

Once you loose site of this, it can become ugly. I won't let that happen. He is actually excited now, that he'll have 2 houses. We're going to have him take his puppy with him on our schedule, so that should give him some consistency in the environments.

It really is amazing to me, that she and I have been able to come so far in just a few days. We both want the best for him and I'm very happy. Again..........we'll see what happens in the morning when the details are in black and white.

Edited by theeohiostate

This is painful to read. She obviously is not going to go away fairly or easily, so get a good lawyer and fight all the way.

Sorry for both of you guys, and I'll give the wifey an extra hug tonight. ETA, MY wifey...

Edited by whoopazz