[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the colts running game?

RJV

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I heard.

Don't get me wrong, he sounds like a potential home run kinda guy like the Colts haven't had in a long time and love his work ethic and all, nice to have on the team - but "nice to have" ie someone who likely won't even start and is a part-timer isn't what you want in a 1st rounder...

And who's going to play LB for the Colts? Aretha Franklin? (no wait she's classic DT material)

I liked this guy more than anyone not named Knowshon. I think he plays like Westy and will be this years Chris Johnson. Don Brown will be on almost every one of my rosters this fall.

Homerun hitter? This year's Chris Johnson (speed-wise or just flat-out fantasy stats?)?

I haven't heard or read that he is a homerun type runner. Is he? What I read had him at about 4.5- 40 speed with good foot quickness. I read that he has great run instincts (maybe the best in the draft). Nice vision, can elude tacklers has enough run strength to rip through arm tackles, good competitive speed, runs with great awareness, is shifty, can be an absolute workhorse, has natural hands, will block and has great character.

I can definitely see him being OROY or Wells or Knowshon. I also wonder which one of these guys is going to crack the Top 10-15 when it comes to rankings at the end of the year for RBs. I haven't looked to see if it happens every year but it seems like it happens enough to at least wonder which of these guys is going to produce numbers like Forte or Chris Johnson did and rank higher than most expected. You also have to wonder who's going to end up being like Tim Hightower, being more highly ranked and disappointing.

I love Moreno and I am glad the NFL had the RBs right this year. Knowshon is a tough little guy that will have an awesome year, I just dont want to have to deal with McDaniel. NE played those games with RBs too and I want no part of it, at least yet.

The Colts LBs- Wheeler is awesome. That guy is a blitzing freak, he will make a name for himself.

id hold off as long as possible i have a colts season ticket holder in one of my leagues...

word in Indy is they are very impressed with Brown ...So be careful

I think Addai will be the starter. But if he plays like he did last year, I can see Brown taking over very soon. The Colts offensive line was in shambles most of the year. Hopefully Lilja returns to form after missing all of last season. Saturday is back. Ugoh and Diem are solid. And they have some depth. No excuses to repeat last year's anemic rushing attack.

Who was the starter Portis' rookie year?

I believe it was Mike Anderson, but I'd have to do a little research. It was the worst kept secret in DEN that year that Portis would eventually start, but he handicapped himself with a 3 fumble game in preseason that convinced Shanahan that Portis may have needed to be brought along a little more slowly/given a lighter work load at the beginning of the year.

Edited by Bronco Billy

First Mudd

Colts offensive line coach Howard Mudd has decided to retire, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Mudd, 67, is upset over the NFL's pension-plan changes for non-players. He coached Indianapolis' line for 12 years, routinely turning late-round and undrafted players into starters. A 33-year assistant, Mudd had been the longest tenured active coach. He'll be replaced by assistant Pete Metzelaars.

Now Moore?

Executive director of the NFL Coaches Assn. Larry Kennan says Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore is strongly considering retirement.

Indianapolis already lost OL coach Howard Mudd over dissatisfaction with the league's revised pension plan for coaches. Kennan says Moore, too, is fed up and "just about" to retire. NFL coaches probably got themselves into this situation, though. They never organized a union and lack protection.

This is pretty concerning to me if they go through with it. What the heck did the NFL change about the pension policy?

First Mudd

Now Moore?

This is pretty concerning to me if they go through with it. What the heck did the NFL change about the pension policy?

Basically the guys that have been in the league enough years and are older get less money than they would if they just cash out in one big check now. If they wait, they can only take disbursements and those will not go to their family if they die. So if you are 70 and you retire next year, you get your retirement paid in annual checks. If you die at 75 (which I think is average life expectancy) than you just receive your first 4 checks instead of getting the whole enchilada. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it's pretty much along those lines from what I can remember.

Donald Brown wont be a breakaway home run hitter like Johnson was this past year.

His style is like a Westbrook type player.

When he plays he will score points the way Forte did this past year.

Ultimately I think, before we know what Denver does with their backfield, Brown will be the best rookie- CJohnson role.

Knowshon doesnt do one certain thing great. He has the same style a lot of backs do. I think he has that "it" factor. Very competitive, a leader and a complete player.

His style is like Emmitt Smith.

When he plays he will in the way Steve Slaton did.

As of right now I think he fills the Slaton role from last year.

Beanie Wells will be this years Ray Rice. A lot of people are high on him and he is very talented. But, I think ultimately too much could happen with him and he wont be in the "Johnson, Slaton and Forte" level. As of right now he cant get to practice until the quarter is over at tOSU. One of the Arizona papers already said Hightower is the starter and will get the majority of the carries.

Style like J Stewart.

Will score in the ways J Stew does.

Takes the Ray Rice role.

Some other guys I like are Jeremiah Johnson and Gartrell Johnson.

Edited by dirtdickens

Minus the injury issue they are clones.

Update:

Wells is expected to begin training camp as Tim Hightower's backup, the Cardinals' official site reports.

Recommendation:

Wells participated in Arizona's three-day minicamp this weekend, but because of his academic schedule at Ohio State, he will miss all of the Cardinals' organized team activities in May and June. That should place him behind the curve when training camp begins in July. Wells should see significant playing time as a rookie because the Cardinals favor a multi-back system, but it currently appears that Hightower will receive more carries as well as most or all of Arizona's goal-line rushes.

Update:

Wells is expected to begin training camp as Tim Hightower's backup, the Cardinals' official site reports.

Recommendation:

Wells participated in Arizona's three-day minicamp this weekend, but because of his academic schedule at Ohio State, he will miss all of the Cardinals' organized team activities in May and June. That should place him behind the curve when training camp begins in July. Wells should see significant playing time as a rookie because the Cardinals favor a multi-back system, but it currently appears that Hightower will receive more carries as well as most or all of Arizona's goal-line rushes.

That's probably the feel they have now going into things. However, we all know that the learning curve for RBs is certainly not as steep as other positions and therefore, Wells should be able to close the gap on Hightower pretty quickly. The expectation going in is that Hightower will handle the GL duties but I wonder if things will remain as such. I can see things being split fairly evenly and if Hightower plays like he did at times last year, the reigns could be handed over to Wells sooner rather than later to see what he can do.

Update:

Recommendation:

That show respect for Hightower.

Favre was Majkowski's backup too but you knew it was just a matter of time.

I know its all smoke and mirrors right now. I have been force fed Beanie mania for 3 years and I know what he is. One good year of college. He only tore up 2 good defenses and he is by his own coach's admission a vag.

Nothing that happens this offseason will convince me that he wont be limited either because he is injured or to prevent him from getting beat up.

That is all I will say on him.

Just remember the discussion from last year about how Deangelo Williams was going on the trash heap because Carolina drafted Jonathan Stewart.

Addai will be the guy next year. In 2010...who knows, but unless Addai is hurt, he'll see 60-70% of the action. JMO

I also think Addai will be a top-15 RB this year. The Colts' running game didn't fall apart last year just because of Addai, and drafting Brown will only motivate him to show everybody how talented he still is. Those of you thinking he's "done" are just flat-out ignorant. If the Colts released Addai today, he would be in HIGH demand from several teams -- he's one of the only RBs in the league who's fast and instinctive running, while also being an excellent receiver and blocker.

Speaking of blocking, I saw Donald Brown on TV before the draft, and he openly admitted to not being a good blocker. He said he didn't get much experience blocking in college, so he's got a lot of learning to do.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead