[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speculation during a Q&A about Thomas Jones being traded for Braylon Edwards?

irish

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...swers_y_42.html

Hey, Tony: Thomas Jones is unhappy with the Jets and last season put up Pro Bowl numbers including 1,300 yards and 13 TDs. The Jets drafted Shonn Greene and already have Leon Washington. Any chance the Jets release Jones and he becomes the next Cleveland Jet? A two-headed monster pounding the rock in Cleveland would be a welcome sight. -- Aaron Howell, Canton.

Hey, Aaron: Rex Ryan knows that Mangini would scoop up Jones in a New York second if Jones were released. More likely is a future trade involving Jones and, yes, Edwards. You heard it here first.

With the drafting of Shonn Greene and Leon Washington playing a bigger part in the Jets' offense this may not be too far fetched after all.

Obviously there's not much to this at this point but what do you guys think about this as a possible trade?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...swers_y_42.html

Hey, Tony: Thomas Jones is unhappy with the Jets and last season put up Pro Bowl numbers including 1,300 yards and 13 TDs. The Jets drafted Shonn Greene and already have Leon Washington. Any chance the Jets release Jones and he becomes the next Cleveland Jet? A two-headed monster pounding the rock in Cleveland would be a welcome sight. -- Aaron Howell, Canton.

Hey, Aaron: Rex Ryan knows that Mangini would scoop up Jones in a New York second if Jones were released. More likely is a future trade involving Jones and, yes, Edwards. You heard it here first.

With the drafting of Shonn Greene and Leon Washington playing a bigger part in the Jets' offense this may not be too far fetched after all.

Obviously there's not much to this at this point but what do you guys think about this as a possible trade?

Interesting I'll say that. It would certainly catapult Shonne Green into top 3 status over Wells IMO. I've also heard the Jets have inquired and are keeping close tabs on Plax's legal status. Whatever the case, I hope it is all for not as I have high hopes for Chansi Stucky this year.

I have high hopes for Chansi Stucky this year.

That not what you told me . . . :wacko:

The Jets still have to PAY Braylon what he "thinks" he is worth. Good deal for Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene value goes WAY up.

Quinn's value goes in the crapper with NO wrs to thoow to besides rookies . . .

Trade a 30 something runningback for a young wide receiver who is two years removed from 1200/16? That's a steal.

My thoughts exactly. Jones is getting very, very close to his expiration date. Edwards has ten more years in the league or more if he actually holds on to the ball.

Interesting I'll say that. It would certainly catapult Shonne Green into top 3 status over Wells IMO. I've also heard the Jets have inquired and are keeping close tabs on Plax's legal status. Whatever the case, I hope it is all for not as I have high hopes for Chansi Stucky this year.

It would? I hope people are thinking that way.

Oh dear God. Now this sounds like something Mangini would do. I love me some Thomas Jones, but come on.

Some people were telling me that paying Braylon isnt an issue with the new CBA. The Browns would offer him whatever and if anyone out bod them, then the Browns would get like a 1st and a 3rd.

Some people were telling me that paying Braylon isnt an issue with the new CBA. The Browns would offer him whatever and if anyone out bod them, then the Browns would get like a 1st and a 3rd.

No teams were willing to give up a first for him this year... I doubt a team would offer him something that would cost them a 1 and 3.

How can you take a report seriously when it includes the "you heard it here first" crap?

Not a matter of taking it seriously or not. More a matter of creating discussion over something that's been said. You never know how one person values a specific position or player and how that would lead to making a trade. I think it's pretty obvious that most wouldn't trade an older RB, who has had recent success, for a younger WR who has flashed considerable talent and has the majority of his career ahead of him. Although it's been reported that Ryan drafted Greene to light a little fire under Jones and I'm sure he'd be thrilled if such a far-fetched deal were reached.

How can you take a report seriously when it includes the "you heard it here first" crap?

He just says it's more likely than Thomas Jones being released...

"Hey, Aaron: Rex Ryan knows that Mangini would scoop up Jones in a New York second if Jones were released. More likely is a future trade involving Jones and, yes, Edwards. You heard it here first."

This trade isn't happening. Is Jones that much of an upgrade over Lewis? Sure, Jones looked good last year with a good O-line and a competent QB. I don't think he'd look any better than Lewis in Cleveland. This is just off-season speculation.

And no one thinks that trade happens straight up. Maybe TJ + 2010 2nd? Or other NYJ players since Mangini knows the roster so well.

Yeah, I think if anything was to get done, there would have to be picks involved. As it stands now, Cleveland could let him play out the last year of the deal, let him go, and then probably land a 3rd round compensation pick.

I do have a feeling he isn't playing for the Browns this year. He may be suspended, he may be benched, but I don't see him playing. There is no way they let a guy who obviously doesn't want to be there be around all of the rookie WR's they just brought in.

Yeah, I think if anything was to get done, there would have to be picks involved. As it stands now, Cleveland could let him play out the last year of the deal, let him go, and then probably land a 3rd round compensation pick.

I do have a feeling he isn't playing for the Browns this year. He may be suspended, he may be benched, but I don't see him playing. There is no way they let a guy who obviously doesn't want to be there be around all of the rookie WR's they just brought in.

That's the same reason I don't think he's there. They brought in mucho rookie WR this year - you gonna let a malcontent poison the well? Something's gotta give, IMO.

Has there been anything more than writer speculation on this? Any comments from Ryan or Mangini on the subject. I'm failing to find anything concrete in my search on this.

Looks like just wishful thinking at this point.

Has there been anything more than writer speculation on this? Any comments from Ryan or Mangini on the subject. I'm failing to find anything concrete in my search on this.

Looks like just wishful thinking at this point.

I've seen nothing in the area papers, Tford. No mention of this in the news, nothing. There's no smoke, so I doubt there is any fire.

Of course, Mangenius may be trying to help the Jets stick it to Belicheat by sending him Edwards for Jones, straight up.

Trade a 30 something runningback for a young wide receiver who is two years removed from 1200/16? That's a steal.

My thoughts exactly. Jones is getting very, very close to his expiration date. Edwards has ten more years in the league or more if he actually holds on to the ball.

+1

This trade isn't happening. Is Jones that much of an upgrade over Lewis? Sure, Jones looked good last year with a good O-line and a competent QB. I don't think he'd look any better than Lewis in Cleveland. This is just off-season speculation.

Yes, TJ looked a lot better than Lewis and Cleveland actually has a pretty good line. Believe it or not our line might be one of the best in the league, Lewis is just not quick enough to make those 2 yard gains into 4 or 5 yard gains. One of my concerns is that we will take just long enough for our line to get old and have to rebuild it too.

Yes, TJ looked a lot better than Lewis and Cleveland actually has a pretty good line. Believe it or not our line might be one of the best in the league, Lewis is just not quick enough to make those 2 yard gains into 4 or 5 yard gains. One of my concerns is that we will take just long enough for our line to get old and have to rebuild it too.

You skipped over the competent QB part. I think fear of Favre's arm (real or imagined) kept teams from bringing a safety up. Remember Thomas Jones from 2 years ago? He wasn't that good. I find it hard to believe that he became a great back over one season.

You skipped over the competent QB part. I think fear of Favre's arm (real or imagined) kept teams from bringing a safety up. Remember Thomas Jones from 2 years ago? He wasn't that good. I find it hard to believe that he became a great back over one season.

Actually he was pretty good two years ago. He should've remained the starter in Chicago, but instead they let him go. Jones is a good back, not a great back, but he can still be very effective. As he gets older he seems to improve. Remember he doesn't have nearly the mileage on his legs as most RB's at this point in their career. I could see him be effective for another 3-4 years.