[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gas Grill Recomendations

Perchoutofwater

I am a humble, some would say passive, man. However, when I am confronted by evil, I can do naught but stand against it. The link posted by he who would mislead you has been corrected. I can show you the path--but I cannot make you step upon it.

I was waiting for the Egg snob to put in an appearance.

I'm happy to hear all the praise for Weber. Like Perch, I have pirated parts here and there to keep our old "el cheapo" running. It finally died, and we just got a Weber Spirit. Its their "novice model", but its far nicer than anything I've owned up to this point. We don't do anything too fancy, so I didn't need to goooverboard and spend a fortue.

I just replaced the "flavorizer bars" on my Weber after about six years of heavy use. Everything else has held up over this time. If you need a gas grill this is the one. I still want an egg, but the smoker snob has yet to convince me that its worth the price...

All this talk about grills convinced me that it was time to go out and buy a grill to use this summer in my new house.

After looking at a bunch of reviews, I had narrowed it down to a Weber Genesis or a Char-Broil Red.

Then about three hours ago, I finally said, "f' it" and went out and bought a Weber Kettle Charcoal Grill. :wacko:

Just cooked sirloin steaks, squash, red peppers and corn-on-the-cob on the grill and it all tasted really good. The steaks were great--sort of a crispy char on the outside and luke-warm and dark pink on the inside. Heaven.

My wife raved at how wonderful I am. (well, sort of anyway) And, my cheap-ass self, got to feel happy that the grill only cost $90.

Unta vs wiegie may be better than mega shark vs giant octopus.

I cannot fight with wiegie. Does one hate a man without legs because he cannot run? Does one disparage a blind man who cannot explain the concept of color? Of course not. Wiegie believes himself to be happy with his 'grill' and as far as he knows, he is. For some, that is enough. I wish him well. But even for wiegie, The Egg is patient. The Egg waits for wiegie.

You are doing yourself a disservice if you purchase anything but a Weber. If you can spring for it, go for the Weber Genesis Gold simply because the stainless steel construction will last forever. I got the one with the side burnner, it makes things easier some times when cooking for large groups, but it isn't essential. We got it when we moved into the house in 2001. All I do is hit it with the pressure washer in the spring (a project for today as a matter of fact) which is really easy because of the way that everything comes apart (exceptionally well engineered). I've had it well up over 700 degrees so heat is not an issue. We tend to grill a lot more than other people, at least three times a week all year round, and we haven't had to replace a single part in the entire time we've owned it.

A Weber will be more dollars up front, but in total cost of ownership, it will be cheaper in the long run and may possibly outlive you.

Just another thought. The Weber burners run the length of grill left to right and are positioned front, middle, back. Even if you do not purchase a Weber, make sure that whatever you do get has a three or more burner configuration that allows for the middle to be turned off. This is to allow for both direct and indirect cooking. If you don't know about these techniques, they are essential to getting the most out of your grill, this includes even the little charcoal ones. Check out the Weber site for more information on direct and indirect grilling. They also have recommendations as to which of their grills may be the best for you.

:wacko: Great info here!

• 8 months later...

Ok, I limped a long all last season on the old one again. I will be buying a new one some time in the next week. I think I want this one. Does anyone know of any problems with it or of anything better in it's' price range?

Ok, I limped a long all last season on the old one again. I will be buying a new one some time in the next week. I think I want this one. Does anyone know of any problems with it or of anything better in it's' price range?

The first problem that I can see is that there does not seem to be any place to put the lump charcoal. Are you sure it's really a grill because it appears to be a gas stove?

The first problem that I can see is that there does not seem to be any place to put the lump charcoal. Are you sure it's really a grill because it appears to be a gas stove?

I've got a nice smoker with an offset fire box that will handle two to three times the amount of meat an egg will hold. I'm looking for a gas grill.

I've got a nice smoker with an offset fire box that will handle two to three times the amount of meat an egg will hold. I'm looking for a gas grill.

Some search for quantity, others seek quality. As noted in previous posts, I can only show you the path.

I think you're definitely on the right track there perch. I love Weber quality and that thing will hold some significant meat.

Edited by Kid Cid

I was in the industry for years right out of college, designing ignition systems. Weber is a great company, but at that price, there may be other options, too. Kitchenaid has a nice one near the $2k mark. Viking is good, too.

Ducane used to make a quality grill, but were bought by Weber 4 years ago and I am not sure where they fit now. That industry has been destroyed by imports. Used to be Sunbeam, Charbroil, Weber, and a bunch of small high-end niche manufacturers all in the US. Now Sunbeam got out of the grill business, Charbroil used to make MILLIONS of grills in Georgia and they moved production entirely to China.

Weber has always had the better quality program and their design work is thorough. Their grills always ignite better because of the design of the complete ignition system and have good low-temp control and even heating.

I can send you the latest Consumer Reports info if you like, shoot me a pm.