[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shift wars at the club

whomper

There is some pretty interesting battles and strategy going on at the Country Club that I am bartending at that I figured I would share. This place has 2 ballrooms . One uses 4 bartenders per shift and the other uses 3. We are in prime wedding season now and the place is loaded with formal parties. We have over 10 bartenders . Some of these guys are over 50 and have been working there for a long time. Others are in their 20's-40's . The heir apparent to the Country club is a great guy named Tom that is about 38.

I mention the ages because in the past few months there seems to be battle lines being drawn between the younger guys and the older guys as far as who is getting shifts and who is getting the prime parties. Another detail to the story is the guy that got me the job there is best friends with the young owner. When i started my friend that got me the job wasnt working there . In the past 2 months he has now been bartending there.

I'll say right off of the bat that I really like and respect the older bartenders at this place. I like all of the young ones as well. I can honestly say they are all a great group of guys. Being new to the game I have learned a ton from the older guys and they always answer any questions I have and give me advice on all aspects of the job. The owners of the place have told me that they are very happy with me. I have the system under my belt for the most part and they like the way I present myself and treat the guests. A lot of times the owners are at the bar and they watch first hand how we are handling ourselves and especially dealing with the guests.

That is where the shift wars are starting. The younger owner feels through his observation that the older guys are not smiling , interacting , and engaging with the guests. All through bartending school and any bartender I have ever talked to has always said the job is about selling yourself and making the guests feel comfortable and keep them happy. The younger guys at our place all do that. Some of the older ones do to an extent and some are borderline grumpy. I have been getting pretty steady work. At least one shift a week lately and in recent weeks I have been given doubles and saturday and sunday parties. My friend that got me the job that is the young owners best friend has had tons of shifts.

I have been told the young owner wants me more in more involved in the main ballroom prime parties. So this past Saturday one of the other higher ups at the club switched my Sunday shift to a different party. I was originally scheduled for a 3:30 party in the main ballroom and she switched me to a 2:00 party in the smaller room. Personally i didnt care. I go, do my shifts, and go home and keep my mouth shut. Anyway its late saturday night and the young owner comes behind the bar and says to me see you tomorrow at 3:30. I told him I was switched out to 2:00. He got pissed. He said I want you in this room at 3:30 tomorrow. He said he would speak to the woman that switched me out and get me my original shift back. So he did and she came back to me and said keep your original 3:30 slot tomorrow. In doing that she had to switch out an older guy from the 3:30 party to the 2:00 party. This guy was :wacko: . He was grunting and groaning the rest of the night. It looks like battle lines are unfortunately being drawn.

Do your work the best way you know how and let the chips fall where they may. It's out of your hands, if the old guys don't like it, tough manure. And congrats, sounds like you're doing really well and hopefully pulling in some big money. :wacko:

Do your work the best way you know how and let the chips fall where they may. It's out of your hands, if the old guys don't like it, tough manure. And congrats, sounds like you're doing really well and hopefully pulling in some big money. :wacko:

Thanks. That is exactly what I am doing. I go ,I work, and I mind my business.

Very sage advice here :D

So check this out... I've been working at a sports bar type of wings restaurant, running the to-go window and deliveries, but a few weeks ago, there was a blow-up between the lead bartender/bar manager, who had put in his two weeks and was only given 2 shifts on his second-to-last week and the owner. He was fired on the spot. :wacko: As a result, the second-in-line bartender - who was slated to work that night - quit too. :D

So, given not many options, they finally opted to put me behind the bar - as I am certified to tend bar - and have the hostess (who also works to-go), run the to-go and we would have a manager do deliveries that night. Anyways, I did alright (more than a bit rusty) and made some good coin.

Anyways, come to find out one of the servers, who had been there for like 3 years and had begged the owner to let him bartend, quit because they didn't let him bartend that night. Of course, the managers and owner were pretty clear that a] they were short-staffed on servers that night as it was and b] he's the best server they have. So it was certainly less of a knock on him in terms of trying to get to bartend than it was a hugh :D to his serving capabilities. The dude supposedly felt betrayed, and quit. :D

Sometimes people are catty, sometimes it's because of circumstances but it always best ot just sit back and watch.

+1 on just doing your job, and leaving the politics to those that run the place. As long as you aren't openly campaigning for the prime shifts, and just being rewarded with them on your performance, you have nothing to be worried about. Congrats on succeeding in your new career/job!

Though I am wondering if the older guys are pissed because one of their own is getting better shifts with less tenure. :wacko:

Anyways, come to find out one of the servers, who had been there for like 3 years and had begged the owner to let him bartend, quit because they didn't let him bartend that night. Of course, the managers and owner were pretty clear that a] they were short-staffed on servers that night as it was and b] he's the best server they have. So it was certainly less of a knock on him in terms of trying to get to bartend than it was a hugh :D to his serving capabilities. The dude supposedly felt betrayed, and quit. :wacko:

I'd be pissed if I were the server too. He's the best worker they have and because of that he gets screwed out of a "promotion".

I'd be pissed if I were the server too. He's the best worker they have and because of that he gets screwed out of a "promotion".

I guess I should have told the entire story. About a year ago, he had asked the owner if he could, at some point, bartend... and the owner said no. It's his restaurant; he gets to decide who does what. The guy is like 21, has no bartending experience, and is not certified. If the Alcohol/Beverage Control came in, and he f'ed up somehow (or even if they just wanted to see all bartender's licenses), we would lose our liquor license. That... would not be good.

I would hardly call the situation getting "screwed". There were no other server options. I have zero serving experience. The #1 concern is food service.

Had I been an experienced server and capable of taking his place, then yeah it could be construed as getting screwed over. But the managers made the right call. Now, if I were in his spot, I would perhaps feel a bit "betrayed", but I would realize it was for the good of the overall operation of the restaurant. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

:wacko: It wasn't a promotion, it was a 1 night deal, and since Darin sucks at what he does, they didn't want to take the competent guy away from his position for 1 night, so they let the momo do it.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I guess I should have told the entire story. About a year ago, he had asked the owner if he could, at some point, bartend... and the owner said no. It's his restaurant; he gets to decide who does what. The guy is like 21, has no bartending experience, and is not certified. If the Alcohol/Beverage Control came in, and he f'ed up somehow (or even if they just wanted to see all bartender's licenses), we would lose our liquor license. That... would not be good.

what the f' sort of momo state do you live in that requires bartenders to be licensed?

what the f' sort of momo state do you live in that requires bartenders to be licensed?

Some places require you to be T.I.P.S certified. The theory behind it is if you complete the course you can reduce Liability ,Prevent Underage Drinking, Intoxication, and DWI

Proven effective by third-party studies, TIPS is a skills-based, 100% online responsible alcohol training and certification program that is designed to prevent intoxication, underage drinking, and drunk driving by enhancing the fundamental "people skills" of servers, sellers and consumers of alcohol.

TIPS gives individuals the knowledge and confidence they need to recognize potential alcohol-related problems and intervene to prevent alcohol-related tragedies.

Service industry people can be some of the most frustrating people to work with...a ton of "politics" and generally a lot of favoritism. And as with a lot of jobs, they seem to think seniority is the bottom line. If you are all doing a great job in all aspects.....then yes.....seniority makes a difference. BUT.....if you are SO comfortable in your job (read: been there for ages) that you don't think you have to make an effort to be pleasant anymore....someone should set you straight.....lol.

Sounds like the new owner is trying to set some folks straight. :wacko: It's his ass on the line if his employees don't make a good impression. These huge parties are ALL about getting future business. Customers tend to remember bad experiences 10 times more than any good ones. So one surly bartender might stick in their minds when trying to choose a venue for their daughter's wedding even moreso than how great the food was.

Just keep doing what you're doing, Whomp! Someone important has noticed. If the senior folks snarl at you......just be pleasant and say you go where the boss tells you to go. Everyone's right.....don't get into the politics. If the owner is doing things right.....then it's easy. I've seen it all go horribly downhill fast when the owners/managers do incredibly stupid things that end up alienating the good employees. That's when you look for a new gig......LOL.

As far as getting more shifts....you probably just have to ask. It could be when you were hired you gave the impression that one or two shifts a weekend were just fine. If things have changed since then, just casually mention you are available for more time now if they'd like to use you more.....in case they didn't know. :D

So check this out... I've been working at a sports bar type of wings restaurant, r

the lead bartender/bar manager, who had put in his two weeks

-snip-

The dude supposedly felt betrayed, and quit. :wacko:

So does this prove wiegie or perch right?

Service industry people can be some of the most frustrating people to work with...a ton of "politics" and generally a lot of favoritism. And as with a lot of jobs, they seem to think seniority is the bottom line. If you are all doing a great job in all aspects.....then yes.....seniority makes a difference. BUT.....if you are SO comfortable in your job (read: been there for ages) that you don't think you have to make an effort to be pleasant anymore....someone should set you straight.....lol.

Sounds like the new owner is trying to set some folks straight. :wacko: It's his ass on the line if his employees don't make a good impression. These huge parties are ALL about getting future business. Customers tend to remember bad experiences 10 times more than any good ones. So one surly bartender might stick in their minds when trying to choose a venue for their daughter's wedding even moreso than how great the food was.

Just keep doing what you're doing, Whomp! Someone important has noticed. If the senior folks snarl at you......just be pleasant and say you go where the boss tells you to go. Everyone's right.....don't get into the politics. If the owner is doing things right.....then it's easy. I've seen it all go horribly downhill fast when the owners/managers do incredibly stupid things that end up alienating the good employees. That's when you look for a new gig......LOL.

As far as getting more shifts....you probably just have to ask. It could be when you were hired you gave the impression that one or two shifts a weekend were just fine. If things have changed since then, just casually mention you are available for more time now if they'd like to use you more.....in case they didn't know. :D

Thanks Bunz and all great advice and insight as usual. I am fine with whatever shifts I get and that is the truth. If I get a full weekend its usually a good money weekend . If I dont it is free time to spend with the family so either way I am fine. 1 Shift a weekend is perfect for me but I dont say no if they offer 2. I always want be be available

Whomper, this is a privately owned entity? Not a private, member owned country club?

I run a private country club and the member attachment to long term employees that may not be able to execute the job they hoild anymore is one of the biggest headaches to deal with.

Just keep yuour head down, keep doing a great job and ASK for additional responsibility or how you can help. The owners may have wanted to do additional services with their bar operations, but may not have had the right staff to execute it.