[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speed golfed today--a blast!

Sugar Magnolia

I played speed golf today and got 18 in just under two hours on my home course that most players take carts because of long walks from green to tee. Got done in just under two hours and played to my normal score. I didn't run really hard and took my time over shots. The hardest was putting with the heart rate up there. I didn't take a bag and just ran with my clubs. I took a driver, 3 hybrid, 5 iron, 7 iron, PW, and putter. I'm not good enough but my friend's daughter who is a PGA pro just entered a speed golf tourney with just a hybrid and 7 iron (not even a putter)

If you aren't familar speed golf is where you run the course and your score is based on how fast you run the course combined with your score. It is a fun way to get exercise. Also, you can be done in two hours and have the rest of the day. You have to get the first tee time so that limits things a bit.

6 clubs eh?

Only time I went speed golfing I went with a driver and 7 iron. Putted w/ the driver.

Good fun though.

I'm a girl-I'd be all day getting to the green with a 7 iron. Granted I took too many clubs but with a 22 index and my 7 iron that only goes 120, I'd be taking a lot of shots. We have one hole that's 650 yds.from the blues (not that I hit from the blues) but I'd still be out there if I was whackin' away with my 7 iron. :wacko:

I'm a girl-I'd be all day getting to the green with a 7 iron. Granted I took too many clubs but with a 22 index and my 7 iron that only goes 120, I'd be taking a lot of shots. We have one hole that's 650 yds.from the blues (not that I hit from the blues) but I'd still be out there if I was whackin' away with my 7 iron. :wacko:

Not knocking the club selection. More of a comment on my laziness on not wanting to carry more than 2 clubs.

Hmm... I'd probably take 4 iron, 7 iron, sand wedge. I can't live without that sand wedge, man... Any thing from fringe to 100 yards requires that thing... and I bet I'd be 100 yards out a lot if my only other clubs were a 7 and a 4.

Never speed golfed and don't think that I ever will but I have played a round with just a four, seven, wedge, and putter and my score my pretty close to my normal scores. :wacko:

I have also played with a seven iron off of every tee box, on a bet, and scored about the exact same as I do with my driver.

To each their own but for my money screw "speed golf." I don't golf to exercise, in fact i do it to relax. Any golfing that involves more than a casual stroll to the ball from a minimal distance is bizarro to me.

Athletic freaks should hang at the HS tracks where they belong.

:wacko:

Edited by BeeR

To each their own but for my money screw "speed golf." I don't golf to exercise, in fact i do it to relax. Any golfing that involves more than a casual stroll to the ball from a minimal distance is bizarro to me.

I actually was more relaxed playing speed golf. Less time to tense up, think about my swing, and screw it up

if the golf course was willing to cut my greens fee by over half for finishing in a certain amount of time... :wacko: .... then maybe, just maybe I would think about speed golf. Other than that, I paid the (high) price... I'm taking my time and enjoying the day out!

I definitely prefer that answer to the guys who are arguing about what a strenuous and real sport golf is.....

I definitely prefer that answer to the guys who are arguing about what a strenuous and real sport golf is.....

I'm not going to split hairs between sport and game, but golf does require a level of physical prowess to play well. There are more fat pro NFL, NBA & MLB players than pro golfers. :wacko:

by your definition, these guys must be pretty athletic.

homersimpson:NNNNEEERRRDDDSSS:homersimpson

In al actuality, when I have played with only one other person early in the am or late in the evening, and the pace is fast, I play very well. It is when you wait for the family out golfing because they see Tiger Woods doing it, that is what screws my game up. So in a sense speed golfing would be good for my game, but the running from shot to shot not so good. I haven't even walked a round of golf in five or more years.

Never speed golfed and don't think that I ever will but I have played a round with just a four, seven, wedge, and putter and my score my pretty close to my normal scores. :wacko:

I have also played with a seven iron off of every tee box, on a bet, and scored about the exact same as I do with my driver.

Wow, you should work on your driving.

Wow, you should work on your driving.

Driving is not a problem at all. The bet was because we were playing a course that I bitched about because every hole is a drive, wedge. That bores the crap out of me. I like to use lots of clubs as I hit my long irons pretty well. So, long story short was that I hit a seven iron off the box, 165+ or so off of a tee. then another seven iron and some sort of chip shot to the green. Holes that are under 400 and lack any sort of trouble are no fun for me to play. That was my point and I proved it pretty well that day. We have never gone back to that course which may have been fun in the 60's but not with todays players, IMHO.

You should try a golf marathon. Played in a couple of those. You play 100 holes of golf in a day. Early morning until sundown, nothing but golf. Tiresome, but kind of fun.

Whew, that is a lot of golf :wacko::D What time did you start and finish?

On the first day of summer we used to play "the longest day" of golf. We walked 18 and then carted 36 for a total of 56 holes. I was pooped and the final 18 was really not all that fun.