[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where's the Governor?

Ursa Majoris

Yeah and for all we know he might have made a great president. Almost all the greats that have been and gone had skeletons in the closet. I just think that whole "moral virtue" thing is baloney and without relevance to potential presidential performance.

Yeah, that being faithful to your marriage is really overrated as far as what we want our politicians to do. As long as he does a "good" job being president I think he shouldn't have to be a man of virtue. :wacko:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was in Argentina, cheating on his wife, on Father's Day weekend? :D What a gigantic chives bag. Way to go, Mr. father of four. :wacko:

I think his wife knew exactly where he was and what he was doing. She's known about this for five months.

I knew this was coming....

You guys were asking for it. Can't we leave the donkey and elephant out of a few of these threads? There are morans (or at least moranic things that happen) in both parties. Tailgates aren't usually the place to talk politics anyways. Just throwing an idea out here, but let's just make fun of stupid people or discuss the crazy things that go on (you know, without trying to put one party above another). :wacko:

I think you did with your post. :D

I think his wife knew exactly where he was and what he was doing. She's known about this for five months.

Oh, she may have known. I think most spouses know even if it isn't out in the open. My disparaging remark was more directed at how this father of four and "moral leader" choose to spend his Father's Day weekend.

It seems to me like the press played this the way they did in the past:

No reporting on mistresses until said cheater flaunts his deeds. They had the dirt on him since December, but only broke the story when he dissapeared from his office.

In France the press kept mum about Mitterand's famous infidelities until he showed up at a dinner with his illegitimate daughter

This is a pretty good article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_philandering...icians_analysis

And an interesting statement in it:

"Indeed, when politicians get caught, they do so in extraordinary fashion and their actions raise questions about their judgment, character and integrity as a leader.

If they can lie to their loved ones, who is to say they won't lie to everyone else? If they can't stay faithful to their marriage vows, who is to say they'll stay faithful to their oaths of office? And if they have secrets in their private lives, who is to say they don't have secrets in their public lives?"

=====================================

Being unfaithful to your marriage vows seems to be the norm in this country. At least that is what I gather from everything I read. So these politicians that have been "outed" lately are just reflecting the mindset of the people of this country. Sad commentary.

And an interesting statement in it:

"Indeed, when politicians get caught, they do so in extraordinary fashion and their actions raise questions about their judgment, character and integrity as a leader.

If they can lie to their loved ones, who is to say they won't lie to everyone else? If they can't stay faithful to their marriage vows, who is to say they'll stay faithful to their oaths of office? And if they have secrets in their private lives, who is to say they don't have secrets in their public lives?"

History clearly demonstrates that the ability to keep one's appendage in one's pants has no bearing on the abilities of that person to be a great leader and/or claim a revered place in history. Eisenhower, JFK, Jefferson and Roosevelt will do for the start of the list.

History clearly demonstrates that the ability to keep one's appendage in one's pants has no bearing on the abilities of that person to be a great leader and/or claim a revered place in history. Eisenhower, JFK, Jefferson and Roosevelt will do for the start of the list.

I agree.

Oh, and if he'd cheated on his taxes instead of his wife he'd be a cabinet member by now... :wacko::D

really?

imagine if all those great leaders could have added "integrity" to their list of admirable traits...could they not have been better people and leaders?

The fact that, as a nation, we are willing to judge people as "great" by only a portion of what they accomplished, while ignoring the fact that they broke an oath before God to their spouse, is pretty backward.

really?

imagine if all those great leaders could have added "integrity" to their list of admirable traits...could they not have been better people and leaders?

The fact that, as a nation, we are willing to judge people as "great" by only a portion of what they accomplished, while ignoring the fact that they broke an oath before God to their spouse, is pretty backward.

before who?

Edited by dmarc117

really?

On one hand I agree - if they can't be faithful to their family, how will they be faithful to nameless, faceless people? On the other hand, don't you have views that are different depending on if we're talking politically or personally? I do. My biggest one is abortion. Personally I find them heinous, repugnant murders. On the other hand, politically, I don't see how (unless/until you can prove that's a life at conception) you can tell someone what to do with their body. :wacko:

Like ursa said, history is replete with people who were great leaders and banged women like a screen door in a tornado. You never know what's really going on. Maybe his wife just had no drive, and she told him to go get it somewhere else. :D

To answer your first question first, integrity in the sense you mean it is sometimes antithetical to the results. An instance: There is a possibility Roosevelt was aware of the coming attack on Pearl Harbor but knew it would serve a greater good - the entry into a war against two enormously powerful fascist regimes with the clout to plunge the entire planet into a new Dark Age. How much integrity does that show?

In response to your second statement, who could ever be judged as "great", other than the semi-mythical founders of the world's great religions? I say semi-mythical because although there is good evidence of their existence, it is most likely that their actual acts have received embellishment over time......and any "unworthy" act eliminated from the record.

To answer your first question first, integrity in the sense you mean it is sometimes antithetical to the results. An instance: There is a possibility Roosevelt was aware of the coming attack on Pearl Harbor but knew it would serve a greater good - the entry into a war against two enormously powerful fascist regimes with the clout to plunge the entire planet into a new Dark Age. How much integrity does that show?

In response to your second statement, who could ever be judged as "great", other than the semi-mythical founders of the world's great religions? I say semi-mythical because although there is good evidence of their existence, it is most likely that their actual acts have received embellishment over time......and any "unworthy" act eliminated from the record.

Sorry, can't go with you there. That's another reason I hate FDR. There was no political will for getting into that war in this country. So he manufactures it, pushing the Japanese into lashing out by interdicting their oil and natural resources. Then, he knows they're going to attack, and lets thousands of Americans who he's sworn to protect die to manipulate the American people into a war they didn't want? If the evidence is correct, he deserves to burn in the hottest fire of hell for that.

Like ursa said, history is replete with people who were great leaders and banged women like a screen door in a tornado.

At first I didn't think anybody from West Virginia actually used the word "replete" but then I noticed it was followed with "banged women like a screen door in a tornado". :D Maybe you went to college in a different state and moved back. :wacko:

At first I didn't think anybody from West Virginia actually used the word "replete" but then I noticed it was followed with "banged women like a screen door in a tornado". :D Maybe you went to college in a different state and moved back. :wacko:

Nope, completely WV educated. WV actually stays in the lower end of the middle of the states, education-wise. And it's tons better than GA. :D

Sorry, can't go with you there. That's another reason I hate FDR. There was no political will for getting into that war in this country. So he manufactures it, pushing the Japanese into lashing out by interdicting their oil and natural resources. Then, he knows they're going to attack, and lets thousands of Americans who he's sworn to protect die to manipulate the American people into a war they didn't want? If the evidence is correct, he deserves to burn in the hottest fire of hell for that.

That's a simplistic view that ignores the likely worldwide scenario of total domination by the two major Axis powers that prevailed in 1941. It also is the same view that believes using the atom bomb was wrong because it killed over a hundred thousand people. The fact that millions would have perished otherwise is ignored, plus the certainty that it would have been used elsewhere at some future date. It's use there has most likely prevented it's use since (much to Sky's regret :wacko: )

Anyway, I used that as an example, prefacing it with there being a "possibility", not a fact. I really don't know one way or the other.