[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's on third?

DMD

Drafting 2009  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take 3rd?

• Matt Forte - Super Stud or One Year Wonder?
    • Michael Turner - One Year Wonder or Super Stud?
    • Steven Jackson - Never does this well though we always think he will
    • Chris Johnson - Will Sir Speedy carry a bigger load?
    • LaDainian Tomlinson - One more year as a top dog or is it over?
    • None of the above... maybe a wideout

I can't see how LT can possible be even a top 10 RB this year. For 2 years now he has been going down hill. ...

?

Tomlinson was the #1 RB in 2007 and was still the #7 RB last year while playing hurt.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just seems to me that when RB's start to fall, they fall fast. In my main PPR league he was #3 in 2007 and #12 last year. So perhaps not top ten was a little bit of a stretch so I'll revise my statement to say barely top 10.

It just seems to me that when RB's start to fall, they fall fast. In my main PPR league he was #3 in 2007 and #12 last year. So perhaps not top ten was a little bit of a stretch so I'll revise my statement to say barely top 10.

I totally agree that they fall fast but Tomlinson was hurt last year. Like I said, he's a special player and not your ordinary RB. I don't see many good years left but I can see one more good year from Tomlinson.

That's the crux of your argument? That Forte wasn't drafted until the 6th RB off the board and fell into his position?

Should I go through all the drafts and find a bunch of first round RB busts and then list a bunch of 3rd+ round RB studs? What difference does draft position have to do with any of this?

I'm not quite sure why you are so down on Forte. The guy was a stud in college. He rushed for over 2100 yds & 23 TDs his senior year, and likely dropped to the draft position he did because of the school he played for, and there were questions about his speed and blocking ability. Ask some NFL D players about his open field ability, how easy it is to run him down from behind, and how his blocking ability is.

The guy has ideal size, very goods hands, blocks well, can run inside & out, and doesn't put the football on the carpet. What's not to like, and how does he figure to be an "average" back?

That's pretty much what I was gonna say. Yeah, his YPC (as a rookie) screams "average" to everybody, but comparing the first years only, Forte compares very well to LT. After Tomlinson's rookie season, I avoided him the next year, thinking, "Only 3.6 yards per carry? That dude only put up numbers because the Chargers used him so much." Obviously, I was mistaken.

And to say Forte was in a "fortuitous situation" is a little silly. Do you remember what the Bears looked like going into 2008? Bad, aging defense and the worst offensive talent in the league. That usually doesn't translate into good RB production...unless the RB is uniquely talented.

That's pretty much what I was gonna say. Yeah, his YPC (as a rookie) screams "average" to everybody, but comparing the first years only, Forte compares very well to LT. After Tomlinson's rookie season, I avoided him the next year, thinking, "Only 3.6 yards per carry? That dude only put up numbers because the Chargers used him so much." Obviously, I was mistaken.

And to say Forte was in a "fortuitous situation" is a little silly. Do you remember what the Bears looked like going into 2008? Bad, aging defense and the worst offensive talent in the league. That usually doesn't translate into good RB production...unless the RB is uniquely talented.

Fortuitous refers to the Bears not having another back to use for an RBBC since Benson was released and all the Bears could scrape up in late July was Kevin Jones coming off a knee injury and having no time to read the playbook before training camp. As said earlier, they intend on using Forte less this year.

Okay, I'm still asking. Why is there no love for Chris Johnson :wacko:

I think he, Steve Slaton, and similarly sized guys suffer from the smallish RB adverse among us. Its not that you don't like them (what's not to like about 1500-1600 yards and 10 TDs?), its just that you are worried they will break down at any minute like Reggie Bush. Maybe that's not fair since both out-produced Reggie's first year, but I think its true none the less.

I think he, Steve Slaton, and similarly sized guys suffer from the smallish RB adverse among us. Its not that you don't like them (what's not to like about 1500-1600 yards and 10 TDs?), its just that you are worried they will break down at any minute like Reggie Bush. Maybe that's not fair since both out-produced Reggie's first year, but I think its true none the less.

Although this might be true. I guess the shying away has more to do with virtually a 50/50 split in the RBBC he's in. However, I will say that of most of the known RBBC's he's definitely the most attractive.

Chicago homer and fantasy guru here and I totally agree with your assesment DMD. Forte is not a top 5 RB. The top 10 RBs are something like this, although I won't touch Portis this year:

1) ADP

2) L.T.

3) D-Will

4) Sjax

5) Michael Turner

6) MJD

7) Clinton Portis

8) Matt Forte

9) Frank Gore

10) Chris Johnson

It's only been a day and I'm already revising my list:

1) ADP

2) MJD

3) LT

4) D-Will

5) Turner

6) Gore

7) Sjax

8) Portis

9) Forte

10) Chris Johnson

Having one of the top 3 picks is in some ways more about consistency than anything and Dwill has not established any consistency whatsoever. If he pulls off this year what he did last year then he obviously moves up, but right now there is no way I would draft Dwill #2 or #3.

If DWill repeats last seasons numbers he will be the consensus number one for years to come. 1515 yds, 18 TDs.

DWill has only been getting better each year:

2006: 121 att, 4.1 ypc

2007: 144 att, 5.0 ypc (even with Vinny & Co. at the helm)

2008: 273 att, 5.5 ypc

I voted other and would gladly take DWill at number 2 in the draft. Sure, Carolinas schedule looks tougher this year than last, but there is no reason to think that any one of those games on their schedule will be a blow-out where they would be forced to abandon the run.