[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers training camp

Randall

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James Jones caught a couple of deep balls. Rodgers looks good.

Defensive end Cullen Jenkins was off to perhaps the best start of his career last year before a pectoral injury cut short his season in Week 4, and he looks to carry that over into 2009 as he and the rest of the defense make the adjustment to the new 3-4 scheme.

Jenkins, who was limited throughout the offseason to the jog-through portions of workouts, participated fully Saturday in the opening training camp practice at right defensive end with the No. 1 unit, and made his presence felt right away.

"He was in our backfield a bunch on offense, so Cullen doesn't look like he has missed a beat," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "It's good to have him back. He looked good today."

In the first four games of 2008, Jenkins posted 18 tackles and 21/2 sacks before seeing his season come to an end at Tampa Bay in the fourth quarter when he tore a pectoral muscle attempting to bring down quarterback Brian Griese for a sack. Jenkins was placed on injured reserve Oct. 1 and had surgery the next day.

"It was an unfortunate incident, but you just try to look at it as what positive could I take from it or how could I improve from the situation," Jenkins said. "I just tried to get a little stronger and maybe change some habits, flexibility, strength, just look at things like that.

"I feel like I have my quickness. I've been working out earlier in the summer and I had my trainer with me. I felt quick. I'd say the only thing I need to improve on right now would be my flexibility. I feel good, but you've got to convert that to the game situations."

Jenkins will be taking on a slightly different role in the 3-4, with defensive ends called upon more to take on blocks to allow the linebackers to be the play-makers.

"In some of the situations it becomes less of an attack-type mode, and you have to be smart and make sure you are playing your responsibility for the rest of the defense," Jenkins said. "At other times you get to go back into the attack mode."

Edited by Randall

James Jones caught a couple of deep balls. Rodgers looks good.

Rodgers looked real good.

I did not see any of the defense how did the backers look? Did Kampman look lost???

Do you know if there is a practice tomorrow? You going? Maybe we could say hello and talk a little Pack??

Rodgers looked real good.

I did not see any of the defense how did the backers look? Did Kampman look lost???

Do you know if there is a practice tomorrow? You going? Maybe we could say hello and talk a little Pack??

I'll probably drive down next week. I was going by what Pelissero reported.

He just added this-

Chad Clifton confirms he had both knees and both shoulders scoped. Says he feels good but technique is rusty after 8 months off.

From Ryan Grant's twitter

Great turnout from the fans today..a lot of cheers and names called out..thank you to everybody that came to see us work. much appreciated

How was the new field?

Edited by Randall

I'll probably drive down next week. I was going by what Pelissero reported.

He just added this-

Chad Clifton confirms he had both knees and both shoulders scoped. Says he feels good but technique is rusty after 8 months off.

From Ryan Grant's twitter

Great turnout from the fans today..a lot of cheers and names called out..thank you to everybody that came to see us work. much appreciated

How was the new field?

Field looked good. I got there late and the bleachers were basically full so I stood on the south end and watched through the gate - good seats for seeing the QB's and WR's but when they went to 11 on 11 it was at the other end so I could not see much.

All in all they looked good and so did the facilities.

Matthews' Contract Details

Here are the details of first-round pick Clay Matthews’ contract, provided by a source with access to NFL salary information. The deal for the No. 26 pick overall is for five years and worth $8.24 million. For all practical purposes about $6.685 million is guaranteed.

-- This year he received $1.55 million in bonuses – a signing bonus of $800,000 and a roster bonus of $750,000.

-- Next year there’s an option bonus of $3.72 million, and if the team pays that, then all his base salaries for the rest of the contract are guaranteed.

-- The base salaries are $310,000 this year, $365,000 in 2010, $660,000 in 2011, $800,000 in 2012, and $805,000 in 2013. Though it’s a given he’ll receive the option bonus, if he doesn’t then $160,000 of the final four base salaries are guaranteed.

-- Playing-time escalators can add anywhere from $687,000 to $1.037 million to his final year’s salary of $805,000.

-- There’s a one-time incentive bonus of $1.525 million if he or the team reaches one of numerous easily attained performance clauses in any of the five years of the deal.

-- Workout bonuses will pay him $40,000 each time in the final four years he participates in at least 85 percent of the team’s offseason workout program.

-- Pete Dougherty, pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

Matthews' Contract Details

Here are the details of first-round pick Clay Matthews’ contract, provided by a source with access to NFL salary information. The deal for the No. 26 pick overall is for five years and worth $8.24 million. For all practical purposes about $6.685 million is guaranteed.

-- This year he received $1.55 million in bonuses – a signing bonus of $800,000 and a roster bonus of $750,000.

-- Next year there’s an option bonus of $3.72 million, and if the team pays that, then all his base salaries for the rest of the contract are guaranteed.

-- The base salaries are $310,000 this year, $365,000 in 2010, $660,000 in 2011, $800,000 in 2012, and $805,000 in 2013. Though it’s a given he’ll receive the option bonus, if he doesn’t then $160,000 of the final four base salaries are guaranteed.

-- Playing-time escalators can add anywhere from $687,000 to $1.037 million to his final year’s salary of $805,000.

-- There’s a one-time incentive bonus of $1.525 million if he or the team reaches one of numerous easily attained performance clauses in any of the five years of the deal.

-- Workout bonuses will pay him $40,000 each time in the final four years he participates in at least 85 percent of the team’s offseason workout program.

-- Pete Dougherty, pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

That looks like a good deal to me.

Was at the morning practice and Rodgers looked great! They were just in shorts for the morning practice but a few stood out.. Matthews, Bishop to name a few. The New practice field is sweet and very fan friendly.

A Packer fan should know how to spell their names. :wacko:

Black and Blue all over: Fight night in GB

August 5, 2009 7:25 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

By the looks of it, I missed a pretty entertaining practice in Green Bay by one day. I'm scheduled to arrive there Wednesday and attend Thursday's practice. But Tuesday evening's affair was highlighted by a series of fights and intensity that left experienced observers rolling through their mental files.

Longtime Green Bay Press-Gazette reporter Rob Demovsky called it "perhaps the most spirited Packers training camp practice in more than a decade." Fights included multiple matchups between linebacker Desmond Bishop and center Jason Spitz. Coach Mike McCarthy stopped practice to chastise players for hitting after the whistle, but another brawl soon erupted after linebacker Brady Poppinga hit running back Kregg Lumpkin.

McCarthy:
"I'll say this, and I probably shouldn't say it, but we were 6-10 last year, and we didn't have a ... fight all of training camp. So, I guess we're off to a hell of a start."

I can attest to the relatively tame camp the Packers had last year. Fights on their own don't help build a team, but the intensity and aggressiveness that leads up to them can be habit-forming.

Continuing around the NFC North:

The Packers are concerned about defensive tackle B.J. Raji's conditioning while he remains unsigned, Demovsky writes.

The Packers gave Spitz permission to gain weight in the offseason so he would be better equipped to handle Minnesota defensive tackles Kevin Williams and Pat Williams, writes Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Chicago tailback Kevin Jones on his training camp: "I feel real good, most of all because I am healthy." Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times explores Jones' possible role this season.

Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher: "I'm back." Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune examines what that means. Among the issues: Urlacher is back to his pre-2008 weight of 258 pounds.

Detroit defensive tackle Grady Jackson on missing the offseason and the early part of training camp for health reasons: "It's just being smart. You just can't overwork yourself." Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press explains.

Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said quarterback Matthew Stafford doesn't look like a rookie to him, writes John Niyo of the Detroit News.

The NFL has asked Minnesota to make some adjustments to the contract of receiver Percy Harvin, according to Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. The issue is not expected to keep Harvin off the practice field.

Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson is displaying more leadership and personality in training camp, writes Chip Scoggins of the Star Tribune.

Edited by Outshined

Opinions on how the D is going to do this year? They played well 2 years ago, but last year it seemed to go down hill pretty fast. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the 3-4 taking shape in year 1. BUT, I'm kind of wondering if the GB D might be a late round value for FF (defense scores heavy for limiting yards in my main league). Any of you homers have an opinion on how this D is going to perform in year 1 of the Caper era?

Opinions on how the D is going to do this year? They played well 2 years ago, but last year it seemed to go down hill pretty fast. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the 3-4 taking shape in year 1. BUT, I'm kind of wondering if the GB D might be a late round value for FF (defense scores heavy for limiting yards in my main league). Any of you homers have an opinion on how this D is going to perform in year 1 of the Caper era?

First off, Capers knows his stuff on D. He seems to be the classic great Coordinator/lousy Head Coach type - though he did have one superb year in CAR. Secondly, unlike a team like DEN, GB has the personnel to make the switch to a 3-4. Especially once they get Raji in, they have the horses up front to keep blockers off the LBs and to contain pockets that allow for blitzing LBs/DBs to create quick pressure. The LBs are well suited for scraping and lateral play, and their defensive backfield is aggressive with CBs who like to play hard corners.

This will be the type of D that will get better and better as the year goes on and the players create a real react comfort level, instead of having to go through assignments in their heads every play. When they reach that comfort level, this D has the makings of a top 10 D with some real upside. You'll see some struggling early, but they could really help out a FF team as it goes into its stretch run and into the playoffs. Definitely a sleeper that can be had late in a draft right now - especially if you have room to roster 2 Ds.

FROM THE PRESS GAZETTE

The defensive changes are both in style and substance. With Greene and Trgovac, it’s hearing them yell corrections or praise on almost every snap of competitive drills.

Greene, the No. 3 sack man (160) in NFL history, is in his first season as an NFL coach but hardly acts like it. He was known for his wild streak as a player, and he’s barely toned that down as a coach. Young linebackers Clay Matthews, Cyril Obiozor and Jeremy Thompson get an ear full, good or bad, on almost play, especially in smaller-group drills.

“He loves the game, and he wants all of us to love it as much as he does,” Thompson said. “It’s kind of hard not to play hard for him.”

Said Obiozor: “He’ll get on you when you do something bad, but he’s just as adamant and just as enthusiastic when you do something right. You take it for what it is: enthusiastic guy, great coach, great player.”

Trgovac doesn’t have Greene’s playing credentials — he was a three-year starter on the defensive line at Michigan — but he’s a far more experienced coach. Most notably, he was Carolina’s defensive coordinator the past six years. His on-field teaching sessions with the defensive linemen are colorful and sometimes volcanic.

“You can’t help but go out there and practice with energy with guys like that,” nose tackle Ryan Pickett said. “Trgovac won’t allow it and Coach Greene won’t either.”

Coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson have staked the Packers’ season on the ability of the new defensive coaching staff to mesh the 3-4 scheme and players immediately. The man running the project, defensive coordinator Dom Capers, has been through these overhauls several times, twice as the head coach for expansion franchises (Carolina and Houston), and twice as a new defensive coordinator with teams that had run the 4-3 (Jacksonville and Miami).

Whether or not he succeeds, Capers so far has impressed the Packers’ football staff with his organizational skills and attention to detail, which he says he learned as a graduate assistant at Kent State for Don James. James later went on to coach the University of Washington.

“(James) was a highly, highly organized guy,” Capers said. “As a young guy, it made an impression on me that this is a game where there are a lot of things you can’t control, but the things you can, you need to control. You do that by being organized and make sure you try to cover all the smallest details.”

In the offseason, that meant introducing the players to the scheme and evaluating them on last season’s videotape as well as in nonpadded practices.

Now that the Packers are in training camp, they’re installing the defense a second time, while Capers and his coaches determine who fits best in the 3-4 with the pads on.

For instance, though Jeremy Thompson looked good at right outside linebacker in noncontact drills in the offseason, Matthews has been superior against the run early in camp, so the two are alternating with the No. 1 defense. Also, backup Brandon Chillar has been the best inside linebacker so far, just as he was at the end of last season, and might be pushing for more playing time, especially on passing downs.

At another key position, Kampman in the last couple of days appears to be getting comfortable playing in a standup role at outside linebacker rather than lining up with his hand on the ground at end. In a one-on-one pass-rushing drill Sunday, he popped offensive lineman T.J. Lang with a strong bull rush.

But for all the excitement Capers and the new scheme have brought to camp, there is a potential down side to his aggressive zone-blitzing scheme as well.

Capers’ array of zone blitzes are meant to confuse and pressure a quarterback, but they also increase the risk to the big play if they don’t put heat on the passer. That was evident in a blitz period Sunday night, when Kampman got matched on receiver Greg Jennings and safety Atari Bigby was late to help. Jennings got deep for an easy 70-yard touchdown. Jennings also twice has beaten one-on-one coverage against blitzes and dropped potential touchdown passes.

Capers said it’s possible to minimize the risks, but that can require dialing back its complexity as well. The next month will determine just how much he can throw at teams early in the 2009 season

Edited by Randall

For instance, though Jeremy Thompson looked good at right outside linebacker in noncontact drills in the offseason, Matthews has been superior against the run early in camp,[/b] so the two are alternating with the No. 1 defense. Also, backup Brandon Chillar has been the best inside linebacker so far, [/b]just as he was at the end of last season, and might be pushing for more playing time, especially on passing downs.

I wonder how much sucking AJ Hawk will do before Chillar gets some of his reps...

Aaron Rodgers had the deep ball dialed in Thursday night.

First, he put on an impressive display of touch when he dropped three 40-yard bombs into the accuracy bucket – a basketball hoop-like ring and net that sits at the goal line. Making one into the bucket during that drill is impressive. To make three is practically unheard of.

Then, he threw three impressive bombs. First, he connected with rookie Kole Heckendorf on a deep throw during the one-on-one period, when Rodgers lofted the ball over the head of cornerback Will Blackmon.

But that was just the beginning. During a team period, he threw a bullet 55 yards in the air to James Jones, who beat cornerback Tramon Williams.

Then against a blitz, Rodgers unloaded a rainbow down the left sideline to Greg Jennings, who caught a 75-yard touchdown (that traveled about 60 yards in the air) between the coverage of cornerback Al Harris and safety Atari Bigby.

Rodgers wasn’t the only one who got in the act. Matt Flynn also threw one in the accuracy bucket and then during a team period, he threw a bomb to Jones down the right sideline, but Jones was called for pass interference.

Nevertheless, it was the most impressive day of deep throwing so far in this camp.

Seems like Finley is making hugh strides this year.

Finley becoming asset in 2-minute offense

By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Aug. 6, 2009

Green Bay — There's something about the 2-minute drill that brings out the best in Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley.

Considered a little too big for his britches as a rookie last season, Finley has started to pop up in training camp practices like an autumn crocus, giving his coaches and the fans who line Ray Nitschke Field a glimpse of what they hope to see as the season progresses.

"I like (No.) 88," quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "He's a good player."

Just a couple of plays Thursday morning illustrated how the Rodgers-to-Finley connection could become a staple of the team's 2-minute offense.

Here's how it went:

First and 10 at the offense's 35: Rodgers gets blitzed and Finley releases so that the quarterback has a quick, open target. The timing is off and the pass falls incomplete.

"The corner blitzed, and the outside linebacker," Finley said. "I had the 'Mike' (middle linebacker) on me. I didn't peek quick enough. The blitz was coming, he had to get it out of his hands."

Second and 10 at the 35: Rodgers calls a screen, but once again the defense is blitzing and rather than throw right into the pressure, he throws across the field for a 9-yard gain to Finley, who is running an out route near the sideline.

Third and 1 at the 44: Finley lines up split to the left side with another receiver. A safety comes up and shows that it will be man-to-man coverage. Finley drives him hard down the field, gives him a head fake and heads for the corner. Rodgers lobs one up that Finley catches for a 32-yard gain.

"A safety was on me," Finley said. "I got him off his ground and 'stacked' him (got over the top of his coverage) then gave him something to get the corner. I saw the ball floating, so I stuck him to get him off me and I adjusted to the ball."

This was not the first time Finley has made a big play during training camp. Though he started camp with a couple of drops, he also caught a key 26-yard pass from Rodgers on third and 10 during the 2-minute drill Tuesday night.

Camp for Finley has been a far cry from the episodes last year when he complained after the Tennessee game that he wasn't getting the ball enough and then failed to make anything happen when the coaches started throwing it to him later in the year, usually on fade routes in the end zone.

Still brimming with confidence, the 6-foot-5, 247-pound Finley is doing a little more putting his money where his mouth is this summer. He still has a ways to go to become a reliable blocker, but it looks likes there's no question he'll be an asset in the 2-minute drill.

"I love it," Finley said between practices Thursday. "It's up-tempo. It gets the defense worn out and you get the passing game going. You know the linebackers are going to be winded because they're running, running, trying to catch up to the offense's tempo. That's a plus for the 'O.' If we get downfield quick and back to the ball quick, they're tired. It's a plus."

And one area where Finley thinks he can do a lot of damage is split out away from the quarterback where he can use his speed and athletic ability against man-to-man coverage. Just 22 years old (he played only two years at Texas), the third-round pick in 2008 still has some physical developing to do, but he can run by linebackers and safeties and use his long frame against cornerbacks.

He's excited that the coaches have been splitting him out a lot in camp.

"I'm going to tell you the truth," Finley said. "When I split out, I can pretty much have anybody. When I split out, I want Al (Harris) or (Charles) Woodson, somebody that is a Pro Bowler. I'm trying to get better. When I'm blocking, I want to block (Aaron) Kampman, somebody who's going to give me something on the edge.

"My confidence is 100%. I'm excited for the season. I'm ready to get going. That's all I can tell you."

Finley needs to avoid the drops, show he can wrestle the football away from ball hawks like Woodson and begin to drive defenders off the ball on running downs before he'll get the kind of playing time he wants. Donald Lee is still the starter, but Finley is no longer just a project.

"He's definitely improved," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said.

Don Banks visits TC

Aaron Rodgers looks locked, loaded and ready to fire. The Packers quarterback now looks completely comfortable in his own skin as the team's second-year starter, and with the drama of the messy transition from Brett Favre to Rodgers a year into the past, I have the feeling he is headed for some pretty big things in 2009. Rodgers won a lot of loyalty from his teammates last year, for not only handling the Favre saga with grace, but also for playing through the a second-degree shoulder separation midseason and not missing a game. Green Bay's 6-10 record partly obscured the fact that Rodgers finished with 4,038 yards passing and 28 touchdowns as a first-time starter.

"The 16 [starts] gives you some confidence, and not having the distraction we had last year makes the whole team a little more relaxed,'' Rodgers said. "But the biggest thing is the guys and how they're responding to me. After playing 16 games and, I think, showing some toughness, fighting through an injury, I think there's a respect level that grew there.''

Rodgers entered last season hoping and believing he could be the guy in Green Bay. Now that he knows he is, it shows. In the practice I saw, he was accurate, in command of the offense and very much the on-field leader of the Packers. I'd be surprised if he doesn't top the numbers he put up last year, including that victory total.