[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got Thomas Jones in your top 20 RBs?

Bronco Billy

link

CORTLAND, N.Y. - Shonn Greene flashed some of the play-making ability in Thursday's intrasquad scrimmage that the Jets envisioned when they traded up to grab him in the third round of the draft.

The rookie running back displayed his power and quickness in the team's first game simulation.

Greene, who appears like he'll challenge incumbent Thomas Jones, had a nifty 11-yard run against the first-team defense in the first quarter. The former Iowa star bounced off a pile on the right side before bouncing to the outside and gaining 11 yards. He later caught a 33-yard screen pass from Chris Pizzotti, slipping through a seam and flashing some elusiveness.

Greene hadn't practiced with the offense since injuring his right ankle on a 1-on-1 pass blocking drill Sunday. But he looked fully healed early on and showed early signs that he may challenge Thomas Jones for carries.

Jones did commendable work last season for the Jets, but he's been openly unhappy about his contract, and now Greene is breathing down his neck. Greene seems to be tailor-made for a power RB in the NFL, has an ideal complement in Leon Washington, and HC Ryan made no secrets when they drafted him that they were absolutely in love with him.

This really bears watching, and it is possible if Greene performs very well (like he is fully capable of - a 33 yd screen pass? His pass catching was one of the knocks on him), you could see NY move Jones rather than have him being a cancer with the very limited opportunities he might be in line for.

I'm getting this sneaky feeling, especially with Beanie Wells already showing what a ##### he is, that AZ picked the wrong guy as their go-to RB.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I was thinking SEA paired with his brother.

Competing for carries? Well THAT oughtta make family holidays a blast...!

If the Jets could move him for a WR, I say do it. They're already heading into the season with two very inexperienced QB,s, so no need to keep the soon to be 31-year old RB around also. Especially one that could potentially divide a locker room with his demands.

link

CORTLAND, N.Y. - Shonn Greene flashed some of the play-making ability in Thursday's intrasquad scrimmage that the Jets envisioned when they traded up to grab him in the third round of the draft.

The rookie running back displayed his power and quickness in the team's first game simulation.

Greene, who appears like he'll challenge incumbent Thomas Jones, had a nifty 11-yard run against the first-team defense in the first quarter. The former Iowa star bounced off a pile on the right side before bouncing to the outside and gaining 11 yards. He later caught a 33-yard screen pass from Chris Pizzotti, slipping through a seam and flashing some elusiveness.

Greene hadn't practiced with the offense since injuring his right ankle on a 1-on-1 pass blocking drill Sunday. But he looked fully healed early on and showed early signs that he may challenge Thomas Jones for carries.

Jones did commendable work last season for the Jets, but he's been openly unhappy about his contract, and now Greene is breathing down his neck. Greene seems to be tailor-made for a power RB in the NFL, has an ideal complement in Leon Washington, and HC Ryan made no secrets when they drafted him that they were absolutely in love with him.

This really bears watching, and it is possible if Greene performs very well (like he is fully capable of - a 33 yd screen pass? His pass catching was one of the knocks on him), you could see NY move Jones rather than have him being a cancer with the very limited opportunities he might be in line for.

I'm getting this sneaky feeling, especially with Beanie Wells already showing what a ##### he is, that AZ picked the wrong guy as their go-to RB.

So he had an 11 yard run and a 33 yard screen pass in practice? Whoa! Stop the presses! Folks, we have a stud on our hands.

So he had an 11 yard run and a 33 yard screen pass in practice? Whoa! Stop the presses! Folks, we have a stud on our hands.

Says the Thomas Jones owner. What would you rather see? A 1 yd run and a 2 yd screen pass completion. Greene looked in college like he'd fit well into the pros. Now he's showing some evidence of that. Doesn't mean he's the next Eddie George. It means he has some good potential and he's showing good production in his chances so far.

What exactly is your problem with that?

Says the Thomas Jones owner. What would you rather see? A 1 yd run and a 2 yd screen pass completion. Greene looked in college like he'd fit well into the pros. Now he's showing some evidence of that. Doesn't mean he's the next Eddie George. It means he has some good potential and he's showing good production in his chances so far.

My problem is that you're suggesting people should modify their draft boards based on 2 above average plays in an intrasquad scrimmage.

My problem is that you're suggesting people should modify their draft boards based on 2 above average plays in an intrasquad scrimmage. And your mama wears combat boots.

:wacko:

:D

Edited by Chief Dick

My problem is that you're suggesting people should modify their draft boards based on 2 above average plays in an intrasquad scrimmage.

the fact is that they have been in love with this kid and if he gives them any reason to start, they will do it as TJ is disposable at this point and there are a few teams that could use the RB...

Makes Jones an interesting draft pick for a different reason. Where will he land? Will he be a starter? Will he take over for an injured RB1? Risky, but interesting.

It's a good point that a couple of plays in practice don't mean squat, but I have been sure of Jones all but falling off a cliff before last year even ended (and I owned him last year). I'm hoping people will draft him too high in our draft and am considering Greene with a late flyer.

Yeah. It's pretty obvious that the Jet like this kid. That means if they give equal production, Greene most likely will get the nod. And at a very minimum, it's reasonable to expect Greene to at least eat into Jones' workload, which would indicate moving him down.

Greene looked like a pro RB when he played in college last year. Now he's adding more evidence to his side of the argument. Is it your position that we should just ignore that?

I'd call all of this a major over reaction to a few plays with the Jets 4th string QB playing agaist the training camp fodder of a 4th string defense. Jones isn't going anywhere. Now, if Greene starts getting any snaps with the ones (or two's for that matter), then it might be time to put up a very small red flag on Jones.

I'd call all of this a major over reaction to a few plays with the Jets 4th string QB playing agaist the training camp fodder of a 4th string defense. Jones isn't going anywhere. Now, if Greene starts getting any snaps with the ones (or two's for that matter), then it might be time to put up a very small red flag on Jones.

You may want to re-read the article. It specifically states Greene was playing against the first team D.

You may want to re-read the article. It specifically states Greene was playing against the first team D.

You are right, the 11 yard run was against the ones... the 33 yard catch was not.

The other beat reporters in NY have also commented on Greene. He is noticably slower than Jones is, and that makes him less dimensional than Jones. He does have more power however, and is more difficult to bring down. I can see Greene hawking some TD's from Jones this year, but not replacing him. Next year I could easilly see a tandem of leon Washington and Greene in the Jest backfield, but not this year.

The other beat reporters in NY have also commented on Greene. He is noticably slower than Jones is, and that makes him less dimensional than Jones. He does have more power however, and is more difficult to bring down. I can see Greene hawking some TD's from Jones this year, but not replacing him. Next year I could easilly see a tandem of leon Washington and Greene in the Jest backfield, but not this year.

You've always been very good about evaluating the Jets, Rovers. So your impression is that no matter how Greene performs in TC and PS that he won't affect Jones' production this coming year?

You've always been very good about evaluating the Jets, Rovers. So your impression is that no matter how Greene performs in TC and PS that he won't affect Jones' production this coming year?

Almost... but not quite. Yes, I think Greene will eat into Jones' short yardage carries, including some at the goal line. I also think the Jets will run more this year... they are going from Favre to either Clemens, a ho-hum QB or to the rook, Sanchez. The new HC, Ryan has repeatedly talked about a smash mouth runiing oreinted offense that never turns the ball over. That might help make up some of the difference in Jones reduction of short yardgae and GL carries. I don't expect to see Greene in for many 1st or 2nd down plays, unless it's short yardage on 2nd. I could see Jones losing maybe 25 touches over the year vs. last year, but again, I see the Jest running the ball maybe 50 times more than they did last year. That means 75 more carries to give to Greene and Washington.

I don't expect Jones to repeat as the leading rusher in the AFC, and his TD total might get cut in half, but I don't see him being traded or phased out of the offense into a much less significant role, not this year... next year, sure, very possible, even likely. Jones should still be a decent RB2, but it's my opinion, and we know about opinions and... well, you know! :wacko: