[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playing double headers

Whiskey Pimp

We have just changed our 12 team league from 3 divisions of 4 teams to 2 divisions of 6. In the past we have played a 13 week schedule with playing everyone in your division twice and everyone in the other divisions once. That left us with 14 games so we had to have 1 week as a double header. By changing to 2 divisions of 6 we now will have 16 games. The only way I can see our schedule working with this 13 week schedule is to have 3 double header weeks. Is there a way that I'm not seeing here or do we not have a choice?

Your other option is to play only 3 non-divisional teams each year. Randomly select which teams you will play, and if divisional alignment doesn't change every year play the other 3 teams the next year.

This. If doing doubleheaders, I would also suggest puttingthem in non-NFL bye week weeks whenever possible.

One of the 12 team leagues I play in uses doubleheaders to ensure we play each divisional opponent twice and each team from the other division once. We have two 6-team divisions and play a 13-week regular season. We play doubleheaders Weeks 1,2, and 11.

The Dorey Rule is even more relevant in this type of set up as a couple poor performances can really put you behind the 8-ball...

This. If doing doubleheaders, I would also suggest puttingthem in non-NFL bye week weeks whenever possible.

That's exactly what we do in TOCOL.

14 team league/2 conferences, every team plays conference opponents twice and every team in the other conference once. Conference games are double headers on non-bye weeks. We play 19 games before the playoffs, and the last 3 conference double headers before the playoffs really make the fight to get in exciting.

Great stuff. I would highly recommend it if FFers can get over their reluctance to play DHs.

To eliminate the potential to have a poor division winner get one of the 6 playoff spots.

Fairly unlikely that four of the worst six teams will all be in the same division... I would leave it as is.

we roll with 12 teams in 3 divisions.

top three seeds are the division leaders. next three best records are the wildcards (ties between 2 teams = head-to-head, ties between 3 or more teams = overall points). 13 week schedule. you play everybody in your division twice and everybody else in the league (except one player) once.

Week 1 of playoffs - seeds 1 and 2 get a bye. Seed 3 plays 6 and seed 4 plays 5.

it works - but then we also have a mini-draft to pick what division you want to be in so finding the weak division is part of the fun.