[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dooshey, Extra-Dooshey or not Dooshey enough?

wiegie

The mrs and I test drove an Odyssey a couple months ago. Drives much better than I expected.

You should tell the salesman that you understand there is a shortage. You'll just have to go look at a Toyota Sienna instead.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll just have to go look at a Toyota Sienna instead.

Actually, I think I decided very late last night that I am going to go with a Sienna instead anyway.

Somebody kill me if I ever consider buying anything this gay and un-American. Please.

The gay part of your comment sort of amuses me in a logical way. Most people who buy minivans do so in order to have extra room for their offspring. People who are not gay are more likely to have offspring than gay people. Hence, people who drive minivans are almost certainly less likely to be gay than average. If you are specifically looking for a gay car, might I suggest one that doesn't have any room for children. Perhaps a 2-seater of some sort.

As for the un-American part, well you sort of have me there. The minivan is for my wife and not only is she a foreigner, but she wants the extra cargo space so that she can haul additional American flags around to the regular flag-burnings she attends.

If you plan to keep the Odyssey beyond the warranty I suggest getting the manual sliding doors if they are still available. The power sliders are a pain when they break (which they do often) and also very expensive to repair.

+1 on this.....to replace the rollers on the automatic doors $500-600....all of which is labor....the part itself is a plactic roller :wacko:

Oh, and and anyone driving those crossover things is basically driving the 2000's version of a station wagon.....if its ghey to drive a minivan, then you're an absolute felch queen if you drive a crossover.

Doesn't it make better economical sense to take the $30,000 and begin to pay off your child's portion of the debt first before splurging on something for yourself, Mr. Me?

ahem, it's not about me at all. It is about the poor Japanese factory worker that I am trying to keep employed.

(And besides, my kids are half-foreign which means that they owe their portion of the debt to themselves.)

ahem, it's not about me at all. It is about the poor Japanese factory worker that I am trying to keep employed.

(And besides, my kids are half-foreign which means that they owe their portion of the debt to themselves.)

Genius, pure genius. Now you need to adopt a Chinese kid that makes the American flags to burn and you can justify overpaying that salesman (and his manager) for that slick ride.

Or you could just start with 20% off the sticker price and then be willing to walk away and have them chase you for a few days and you eventually pay 10% off it with free undercoating from the factory.

I think our odyssey looks better than a comparable sized SUV, like a pilot. but really it is about utility. the lower deck (compared to an SUV) means you have more cargo area. it means you can carry more people more comfortably, and with the larger sliding doors they can get in and out much easier. I probably never would have bought a minivan if I didn't have a wife who basically requires one to tote her livelihood around, but now that I have one....man, it's hard to imagine a more useful type of vehicle to own.

Exactly. Minivans can't tow hugh boats and stuff like big SUVs and pickups but they have way more available space inside in cubic feet and can tow up to 2000 lbs unmodified (3.3 and up engines can anyway). I'm dragging a U-Haul over a thousand miles with my van in a couple weeks.

Oh, and and anyone driving those crossover things is basically driving the 2000's version of a station wagon.....if its ghey to drive a minivan, then you're an absolute felch queen if you drive a crossover.

well it kinda dependa what you are talking about. chrysler pacifica? yeah. but like a bmw x3/x5 or an acura MDX/RDX? no, those are sweet rides. and there ain't nothing wrong with wagons either.

Exactly. Minivans can't tow hugh boats and stuff like big SUVs and pickups but they have way more available space inside in cubic feet and can tow up to 2000 lbs unmodified (3.3 and up engines can anyway). I'm dragging a U-Haul over a thousand miles with my van in a couple weeks.

to understand the utility of the minivan, you really have to compare like to like. obviously a minivan is going to lack power and overall size compared with something that weighs twice as much. but consider, for example, the honda odyssey compared with the honda pilot. same weight. same engine, same power, same torque. pretty much the same price. the difference? cargo space of 87 cubic feet in the pilot versus 147 cubic feet in the odyssey (which is also 10 cubes more than a suburban). big sliding doors versus regular car doors. a vehicle that handles like a car versus one that handles like a truck.

Oh, and i vote that minivans are extra-Megan Foxey.

No they're not.

We have a 2006 Honda Odyssey loaded with leather, DVD, Stow n Go seats, the whole nine yards.

We absolutely love it.

And for what it's worth Wiegie, we paid I think $23k for it and it only had 36 thousand miles on it. Super clean too.

ETA: we bought it last fall so only 2yrs old at the time (although probably 3 since it more than likely came out in the fall of 2005).

Edited by Cunning Runt

Well, I test-drove the Sienna yesterday and it was fine.

One thing that put me off a little bit was that I saw that it was assembled in America using about 85% American-made parts. Those sort of statistics could tarnish my "I hate America" image.

I told the internet salesman at the dealership that it might make sense for me to wait a while until the supply side is not so tight so that I can get a better deal. He actually told me that that made sense and that he would let me know when things eased up a little. Apparently, I am going to played in a different way this time.

Well, I test-drove the Sienna yesterday and it was fine.

One thing that put me off a little bit was that I saw that it was assembled in America using about 85% American-made parts. Those sort of statistics could tarnish my "I hate America" image.

I told the internet salesman at the dealership that it might make sense for me to wait a while until the supply side is not so tight so that I can get a better deal. He actually told me that that made sense and that he would let me know when things eased up a little. Apparently, I am going to played in a different way this time.

I always knew you were a supply sider.

Factor in that all the aftermarket parts you ricers add on and replace will dramatically decrease that number.

Extra Megan Foxy wiegie, I mean how the heck are you supposed to win a drag race with a minivan? :wacko:

And what a slow that salesman is. Communicating via email and still can't get your story straight. He wouldn't last in the semiconductor world!

Oh, I forgot to mention wiegie, your American DNA FAAARRRR outweighs your wife's Swiss DNA, thereby making your children about 99% American. Sorry about that...:D

Extra Megan Foxy wiegie, I mean how the heck are you supposed to win a drag race with a minivan? :wacko:

And what a slow that salesman is. Communicating via email and still can't get your story straight. He wouldn't last in the semiconductor world!

Oh, I forgot to mention wiegie, your American DNA FAAARRRR outweighs your wife's Swiss DNA, thereby making your children about 99% American. Sorry about that...:D

Yeah, but isn't his DNA sort of...uh...short? :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Just friend Sacrebleu on Facebook and all will be well again.