[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Bell

Mags

Just read this on rotoworld:

The New Orleans Times-Picayune suggests that Mike Bell could remain "the man" in the Saints backfield even when Pierre Thomas (knee) returns.

This is speculation, but it's possible. Bell, who averaged 5.1 YPC on 28 attempts in the Saints' opener, runs with purpose between the tackles and has always been effective in short yardage. Coach Sean Payton clearly is concerned with Thomas' ability to hold up. Bell must be owned in all formats and will be worth an RB3/flex start in Week 2 at Philadelphia if Thomas is out. Sep. 14 - 12:07 am et

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

I am a Thomas owner and picked up Bell, but this seems like it could turn into a tough situation week to week. If Thomas is healthy next week, what happens?

I say Bell is worth a start over pierre next week, regardless of his status. After that (starting in week 3), you start making the call. My personal opinion is you grab somebody better than both of them. While the Saints run the ball very effectively (and were one of the top rushing O's of the year last year) - their fantasy points come from Brees and WRs.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune suggests that Mike Bell could remain "the man" in the Saints backfield even when Pierre Thomas (knee) returns.
What caused Bell not to be "the man" in the 2006 draft? Or still being released from Denver after only 2 years, or the Texans after a month? Sure Bell could have finally found a home with the Saints. Or it could also be a one-week wonder much like when Bell ran for 135 yards in a half but was made inactive 2 weeks later.

Plus, it was the Detroit Lions.

Waiver wire pickup? Maybe if you really need it. They are @PHI, @BUF, NYJ, then bye week. Not quite as attractive defenses as the Lions. And I would expect Thomas to be back by the bye week worst case if not sooner.

No.

Bell is worth holding on to, especially if you have PT and/or Bush. But PT would have had just as good a game if he'd played. He's not a one week wonder, but PT is still better at everything. Bell will get carries, but he's not taking anyone's job.

Listen guys Payton loves Pierre, he also knows it is a long season and you can ride the hot hand and rest Pierre for the season. Bell will start next week and Pierre may be inactive again. I still believe his injury is worst than the Saints are letting on and I would not be suprised if he didn't start until after the bye week. That would give him an 8 week recoup period, If he doesn't play in the first 3, I really don't see them using him in week 4 before the bye of week 5. Now if another injury pops up you may see Pierre earlier. now all of this is total speculation on my part

Bell just played against the Detroit Lions (#32 rush defenses last year) who were visiting and the Saints passed for six touchdowns. I would contend pretty much every single back in the NFL would have done as well.

Bell just played against the Detroit Lions (#32 rush defenses last year) who were visiting and the Saints passed for six touchdowns. I would contend pretty much every single back in the NFL would have done as well.

Even this cat could have gotten a couple TD's and 150 yards against those Lions.

Edited by BearBroncos

Except maybe Reggie Bush who was on the same field. :wacko:

Bush had a 15 yard touchdown run called back on penalty obtw...

Bush had a 15 yard touchdown run called back on penalty obtw...

I was at the game and he looks like the same Reggie that goes down on 1st contact to me. If you were referring to the end of the game... then yes he did and everyone in the stands were calling for Bell to get the TD instead of Bush. Bell brought them down to that point and Reggie gets the glory.

Just read this on rotoworld:

This is speculation, but it's possible. Bell, who averaged 5.1 YPC on 28 attempts in the Saints' opener, runs with purpose between the tackles and has always been effective in short yardage. Coach Sean Payton clearly is concerned with Thomas' ability to hold up. Bell must be owned in all formats and will be worth an RB3/flex start in Week 2 at Philadelphia if Thomas is out. Sep. 14 - 12:07 am et

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

I am a Thomas owner and picked up Bell, but this seems like it could turn into a tough situation week to week. If Thomas is healthy next week, what happens?

It was Vs. THE LIONS calm down there is a reason Bell has never been a featured back.

I'm pretty calm right now.

I'm also calm, but I think there is reason to believe he's a viable starter at least for 2 more weeks while we figure out what's up with Pierre Thomas.

Remember this... Duece got a lot of play time last year in that offense even behind those other guys. Reggie doesn't even count as a RB. He's a WR with a RB number on his jersey. This could be a split-time situation between Bell and Thomas.

Look, Detroit game aside, you have to wonder how Pierre is actually feeling (it doesn't sound good) and how Bell's performance might at least encourage Sean Payton to call his number a bit more often.