[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tires

darin3

I can't believe it, but I've never bought tires for a vehicle. Honestly never had a car/truck long enough to have to replace 'em. My 2001 Ford Ranger is well overdue, and I'm going to take advantage of National Tire & Battery's weekend sale (buy two, get two free).

Any recommendations?

Consumer Reports says that NTB's most expensive option for my truck rates 67/100 (Michelin LTX M/S) Epinions.com rates them very high.

My truck supposedly takes a 225/70/15. Is there a tire that might make my truck sit a little higher, or can I only achieve this by lifting it and going with a larger wheel?

TIA

Is there a tire that might make my truck sit a little higher, or can I only achieve this by lifting it and going with a larger wheel?

TIA

Will probably mess up your speedometer. You can go wider tires...but taller tires are usually not an option.

I like Toyo. I've had a lot of luck with them.

No idea if they make them for your Ranger, but I put Michellin Cross Terrains recently on my Envoy. Same as the original tire, rated pretty good. Buddy at work also had them on his Toyota 4Runner or Highlander (forget which) and also recommended them. I think they are a tire that's on it's way out being replaced with a different model and the prices might be a bit cheaper.

Check out TireRack.com for tires that are available. I've never purchased from there, but I've always used them for comparison shopping and research purposes.

The Michelin tires you were considering are very highly rated.

NTB's pricing is actually extremely competitive, apparently. And the 2 for 1 deal is outstanding. Allows me to get some badass tires. :wacko:

I've got those very same tires on my '97 F-150 Darin. They were put on at 122K miles and the truck now has 181K miles. Tires look to be about 1/2 worn w/60K miles on them. Ride quality is great and noise is nil. I'm a HUGH fan. As has been mentioned, the Toyo's are fine tires, but unless you don't mind noise get the "street" tread instead of the A/T tread. They used to have a 500 mile ride guarantee.

We always go to Costco. Great prices, all major brands, lifetime balance and rotating.

I get them rotated every couple months...drop the car for an hour while we are shopping....couldn't be easier.

This is a HUGH plus when you get lifetime rotation, balancing and tire and stem replacement. I go to BJ's and its included in the cost. You should check how much you have to pay for this and also is balancing and stems an extra cost when purchasing the tire. It can add up fast. Some places charge disposal fees too.

I currently don't use anything but Michelin's on my vehicles. Even though they are higher priced than just about any other brand, they also make the best tire out there, pretty much across the board. Buy two / get two is a great deal. While Tire Rack is where I generally do my tire shopping (they'll ship anything you by to your choice of local dealers) there's no way they can beat that price. However, it is a great place to get a feel for the the tires your about to buy and what people think about them.

BTW, the tires you're contemplating are great tires, you shouldn't feel hesitant to pull the trigger on them.

My truck supposedly takes a 225/70/15. Is there a tire that might make my truck sit a little higher, or can I only achieve this by lifting it and going with a larger wheel?

You'll need to check with respect to your model (you can do it at tire rack), but I'm willing to bet than you can upsize your wheels by 1 or 2 inches at least. Providing they fit correctly, there should be no detrimental effect. I don't know how much higher that your truck will sit. Methinks that you'll need a kit to do that.

I like Bridgestone tires. Don't know nothin' 'bout pickup trucks though.

:wacko: of COURSE the Michelins aren't part of their 2-for-1 deal. And of COURSE they make you buy the extended warranty BS and get an alignment. :D

Gonna skip the early morning wake-up call (the deal was from 7-9am today, tomorrow and Sunday... and had 3 people in line at 6:30am today) and get hooked up at Discount Tire or Wally World. :D

Edited by darin3

:wacko: of COURSE the Michelins aren't part of their 2-for-1 deal. And of COURSE they make you buy the extended warranty BS and get an alignment. :D

Gonna skip the early morning wake-up call (the deal was from 7-9am today, tomorrow and Sunday... and had 3 people in line at 6:30am today) and get hooked up at Discount Tire or Wally World. :D

If you can't get that deal then you really should look at Tire Rack. If only to see if you can get someone to match that price. If not, I'd bet Discount Tire is an authorized Tire Rack installer. They'll ship the tires direct to them and they'll do all teh mounting and balancing for you. I had my last set of Michelins shipped to the Goodyear tire place nearby. They weren't exactly happy but they put them on. :D

Edited by Kid Cid

Darin, I don't recommend tirerack. When I've price shopped the tires for my car, they were always among the highest. I'll dig up the links to the other vendors that I shopped and post them. The first set I ordered from edgeracing.com, but they are now out of business. This set, I found a site that was the best pricing, and then I called Discount Tire and they matched the pricing within about $10/tire. That way, I didn't have to pay extra for taking them to Discount and lifetime mounting and balancing, it was right down the street from my work, and I didn't have to wait for shipping from the online vendor.

If you can't get that deal then you really should look at Tire Rack. If only to see if you can get someone to match that price. If not, I'd bet Discount Tire is an authorized Tire Rack installer. They'll ship the tires direct to them and they'll do all teh mounting and balancing for you.
Discount Tire around here is horrible sales and installation departments but great customer service after the sale. My dad was getting tires and wheels for his Camaro. The set of wheels he picked out weren't in stock so they had to special order them. A few weeks later they called and said they were in, but then called an hour later and said that they were the wrong bolt pattern. Another few weeks they called and said that the wheels were in but then come the appointment, they could only find 3 of the tires. A day later they found the other tire, but lost the 4 center inserts so they said that they would look for them and find them for when my dad came back in for the retorq. Less then a year later the chrome plating was flaking off due to corrosion and the wheels where no longer in production so they replaced it with my dad's choice of similar...he wasn't suppose to see the invoice but the replacements were 2x the price of the original.