[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Austin City Limits Music Festival

darin3

I'm more into the indie music scene I guess, so SXSW (South by Southwest) is more of a big deal to me, but we ponied up the 3 bills and paid for 3-day passes to ACL (Austin City Limits) this year.

Starts tomorrow, and we'll be seeing Asleep at the Wheel, The Knux, The Parlor Mob, Phoenix, Thievery Corporation and Kings of Leon (all tomorrow, yup).

Saturday we'll be enjoying Mute Math, Papa Mali, Flogging Molly, Mos Def, Eek A Mouse, Devotchka, Ghostland Observatory and perhaps the Dave Matthews Band.

And to wrap it up, Sunday will be spent with Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears, Rodriguez, The B-52's, State Radio, Arctic Monkeys, Raul Malo, Ben Harper, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and to cap it off, Pearl Jam. :wacko:

Feel free to take a peek at the schedule and let me know if there's something that stands out that I may not want to miss.

It's storming like a mofo here tonight, tomorrow's supposed to be nice, but Saturday and Sunday should see some more storms. :D Should be... interesting.

It could be a little wet...

:divingboard:

Actually, today should be totally dry, and is our "favorite" day. Tomorrow is going to be wet, no doubt. But the forecast calls for "scattered t-storms", which in my 3 years here in Austin, means there could be a storm or two every couple hours, and not raining all day. Maybe it'll cut down on the crowds. I can handle rain.

Deer Tick is one of my current top 3 favorite bands. Don't miss them tomorrow at 11:45 am. They kick a$$. You'd already know that if I'd get off my behind and burn that CD for you and twiley. 11:45 is a pretty lame start time. I can call you and wake you up at 10:30 if you want.

I swear I used to like Clutch but no way I'd pass on the B-52s.

Heatless Bastards ain't too bad, either.

Only changes I'd make would be tonight. I'd be sure to catch Dr. Dog (Atomic :wacko: ) and Daniel Johnston is a hero of mine so I'd make sure to catch him. But it's too late. We are going to get down one of these days, I just hope it's before the baby turns 18.

Have fun. Should be a blast.

Toadies and Blitzen Trapper.

Saw Blitzen Trapper for a bit today. Wasn't impressed. Then again, I wasn't uh.... umm... :wacko:

Deer Tick is one of my current top 3 favorite bands. Don't miss them tomorrow at 11:45 am. They kick a$$. You'd already know that if I'd get off my behind and burn that CD for you and twiley. 11:45 is a pretty lame start time. I can call you and wake you up at 10:30 if you want.

I swear I used to like Clutch but no way I'd pass on the B-52s.

Heatless Bastards ain't too bad, either.

Only changes I'd make would be tonight. I'd be sure to catch Dr. Dog (Atomic :D ) and Daniel Johnston is a hero of mine so I'd make sure to catch him. But it's too late. We are going to get down one of these days, I just hope it's before the baby turns 18.

Have fun. Should be a blast.

The wife's letting the leash go tomorrow morning, so I'm heading out early to see Deer Tick with a buddy of mine before meeting up with her later. We'll see the B-52's. Got a call from the 972 this morning; was hoping it was you. :D

Sorry, but without the Beasties the ACL is not near as good this year. But, if you are partying at the Omni, then you will still have as much fun...

Very, very bummed the Beasties had to bow out, but then again, they would have been up against Kings of Leon tonight. Them bowing out made our decision easy. And, in fact, I actually would have been even more pissed cuz KoL were somewhat disappointing. :D

So yeah, today was pretty f'in awesome.

Got down there a little later than I had hoped for, but was able to see enough of Asleep at the Wheel to make me happy.

Checked out The Knux, who were pretty damn awesome. Broke away for a little bit to see some Blitzen Trapper, who were alright.

Went and saw a few songs from Parlor Mob, who were a little raw, but definitely good. Lead singer's voice is a dead ringer for Jimmy Page.

Saw a little bit of The Walkmen, but at this point in the afternoon, it was all about socializing, tipping back beers and a few shots of tequila.

Then, Phoenix happened. Folks, if you don't know this band yet, you will soon. Or at least you should. One word: awesome. These cats from France have stage presence, catchy hooks and are ridiculously tight musically. Awesome.

Went and staked our spot out for Kings of Leon, which worked well since Thievery Corporation played the same stage right before them. Thievery was solid, but honestly, King of Leon didn't blow me away. I heard that they were awesome live, and yeah, they were good, but they had a spell of a few boring songs in a row, and had a little BS commentary on how some said they were "too big" for ACL, but hey "they were there!". :wacko:

Overall, a great day. Tomorrow is going to be wet, but I'm willing to brave it to see some Deer Tick, Flogging Molly and Ghostland Observatory. Winner of Friday: Phoenix, by a country mile.

Got down there a little later than I had hoped for, but was able to see enough of Asleep at the Wheel to make me happy.

Checked out The Knux, who were pretty damn awesome. Broke away for a little bit to see some Blitzen Trapper, who were alright.

Went and saw a few songs from Parlor Mob, who were a little raw, but definitely good. Lead singer's voice is a dead ringer for Jimmy Page.

Saw a little bit of The Walkmen, but at this point in the afternoon, it was all about socializing, tipping back beers and a few shots of tequila.

Then, Phoenix happened. Folks, if you don't know this band yet, you will soon. Or at least you should. One word: awesome. These cats from France have stage presence, catchy hooks and are ridiculously tight musically. Awesome.

Went and staked our spot out for Kings of Leon, which worked well since Thievery Corporation played the same stage right before them. Thievery was solid, but honestly, King of Leon didn't blow me away. I heard that they were awesome live, and yeah, they were good, but they had a spell of a few boring songs in a row, and had a little BS commentary on how some said they were "too big" for ACL, but hey "they were there!". :wacko:

Overall, a great day. Tomorrow is going to be wet, but I'm willing to brave it to see some Deer Tick, Flogging Molly and Ghostland Observatory. Winner of Friday: Phoenix, by a country mile.

Sounds like fun, I'm still at the office. :D

Sounds like a blast. You should have called and woke me up today. I lost you number when my cell messed up. People at Sprint told me I'd lose everything but my contacts turns out, it kept everything but my contacts. :D

Cloudy and cool here but no rain.

Have a great time.

Missed the supergroup, but did see a TON of great stuff yesterday. It was pouring rain most of the day, but we made the most of it. And then some. :D

Started the day pretty early with Deer Tick, and they were pretty good. Best new artist this past SXSW and they didn't disappoint.

Next was The Virgins, who had some catchy tunes (which, apparently, are big with the young crowd) but the lead singer needs to fix his grill and lose the green eyeshadow. :wacko:

At 2pm, New Orleans natives Mute Math were absolutely off the hook. That's when the rains came, too.

Did some under-tent chillin' for a bit, and then saw Flogging Molly under a complete downpour. That was a memory-in-the-making for sure.

After some more tent time (it was literally coming down in sheets), we got ready for Ghostland Observatory by seeing Soundtribe Sector 9. Considered my socks knocked off, and then some. Wow.

Ghostland was ridiculous. Winner of Saturday: Ghostland Observatory, with very, very honorable mention going to STS9.

E2A: If you're on my Facebook, check out the in-progress picture library. Will be updating today, too, for those that care. :D

:D:D

Edited by darin3

So Sunday came and went pretty fast. No rain like Saturday, but the park was a complete mud-fest. I'm talking mud everywhere.

Started the day out by seeing local Black Joe Lewis and his Honeybears rock and funk it up. Dude has a little James Brown in him to say the least.

Spent some time collecting cans and bottles so I could get an ACL t-shirt from the folks at Honda... had lunch, and tipped back a few cold ones.

Watched a few from the B-52's. Man, they're old.

Saw a few from the Arctic Monkeys, but ended up leaving early to get a good spot for State Radio. They were good.

Then, it was a couple hours worth of New Orleans music, with the Rebirth Brass Band and Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Amazing!

And finally, it was time for Pearl Jam. Everything I could have hoped for, but man we were wayyyyyy back there. With the mud, and 65,000+ people all there to see them, we weren't gettin' any closer. Still, it was good, very good... but no Jeremy? :wacko:

Winner of Sunday, honestly, was probably between Black Joe Lewis, State Radio and Preservation Hall Jazz Band. I expected Pearl Jam to be good, and they were... but I wasn't blown away.

---

Winner of the weekend... Phoenix, with special mention going to Soundtribe Section 9 and Mute Math

And finally, it was time for Pearl Jam. Everything I could have hoped for, but man we were wayyyyyy back there. With the mud, and 65,000+ people all there to see them, we weren't gettin' any closer. Still, it was good, very good... but no Jeremy? :wacko:

Usually at least a quarter of their setlists are the older hits that the casual fans will know, especially when they play festivals. The rest is newer and more obscure stuff to please the die hard tour junkies who make up about half the crowd. Jeremy is universally despised among the latter group.