[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

H1N1 Vaccine

muck

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9082401733.html

Old article from August. Not sure if estimates have changed.

"Swine flu could infect half the U.S. population this fall and winter, hospitalizing up to 1.8 million people..."

So even if that "could" pans out - and I didn't notice anywhere what "could" really means - about 1% are estimated to require hospitalization.

I'll take my chances.

Always [and I cannot stress this enough] always take what your doctors and pedestrians to heart and make an informative decision.

I have no idea what "pedestrians" was supposed to mean, but I prefer to take what my doctors say with a grain of salt and get a 2d opinion if it's an important enough health matter.

Honestly seems to me that the whole thing is kinda overblown.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Swine flu could infect half the U.S. population this fall and winter, hospitalizing up to 1.8 million people..."

So even if that "could" pans out - and I didn't notice anywhere what "could" really means - about 1% are estimated to require hospitalization.

I'll take my chances.

I have no idea what "pedestrians" was supposed to mean, but I prefer to take what my doctors say with a grain of salt and get a 2d opinion if it's an important enough health matter.

Honestly seems to me that the whole thing is kinda overblown.

Take your chances, but also remember that the hospital ICU system in this country cannot possibly handle that level of critical patients.

I haven't gotten the flu shot in years and also haven't gotten the flu in years

I have to make a point here.

One of the main reasons unvaccinated people stay healthy is all the people who DO get the shot. Respiratory viruses need unvaccinated hosts to spread. If enough people get the flu vaccination, the virus has no way to travel from person to person.

You can thank me now. :wacko:

One of the main reasons unvaccinated people stay healthy is all the people who DO get the shot. Respiratory viruses need unvaccinated hosts to spread. If enough people get the flu vaccination, the virus has no way to travel from person to person.

Thank you.

just ask the Amish in MN . polio taint dead either.

Why thank you Clyde Frog. :D

My 8yr old and 5yr old signs had the shot Monday. They've got to go back in 28 days for another. Apparently it's a two-step process. I'm not taking any chances with the lives of my kids. And for those that think that giving them the shot IS taking a chance with their lives, I firmly disagree. I think seeing that they had the shot is by far the way to go.

It's being adminstered free but only at a single local medical center - you can't get it anywhere but there, free or paid. The line was 4 hours long, but we waited it out and I'm glad we did.

Too late for my son as the H1N1 outbreak is in full swing here in Mid-Michigan. 14/20 of the kids in his early learning class are home sick today. He's looking better today, but we'll keep him home resting until Monday. Lots of rest, fluids, and time at home.

My 12 year old has a confirmed case of H1N1. This thing was/is weird. She never had a fever and really only seemed to have a common cold but a bit worse. She missed three total days of school including today but yesterday the doctor gave her the okay to go back. She was in school for sure when she would have been spreading the virus. We really never thought that she had anything serious so other than the day that her head hurt, we let her go to school.

All that to say that the doctor is urging us to get her vaccinated in mid November as he thinks that she could get it again and that it could be much worse. The office yesterday was like a mad house with at least 50 people there when there is normally maybe a dozen on a busy day. There were people waiting in cars and I saw some very sick looking children.

I will take no chance and follow what her doc suggests. Now today I am not feeling right and my wife has body aches.

Too late for my son as the H1N1 outbreak is in full swing here in Mid-Michigan. 14/20 of the kids in his early learning class are home sick today. He's looking better today, but we'll keep him home resting until Monday. Lots of rest, fluids, and time at home.

Hope he gets well soon.

My 12 year old has a confirmed case of H1N1. This thing was/is weird. She never had a fever and really only seemed to have a common cold but a bit worse. She missed three total days of school including today but yesterday the doctor gave her the okay to go back. She was in school for sure when she would have been spreading the virus. We really never thought that she had anything serious so other than the day that her head hurt, we let her go to school.

All that to say that the doctor is urging us to get her vaccinated in mid November as he thinks that she could get it again and that it could be much worse. The office yesterday was like a mad house with at least 50 people there when there is normally maybe a dozen on a busy day. There were people waiting in cars and I saw some very sick looking children.

I will take no chance and follow what her doc suggests. Now today I am not feeling right and my wife has body aches.

Hope she does not get it again and hope you and your wife are get well soon.

Full swing here in West Pa. also. My daughters class had 11 of 25 in it today according to the email that her teacher sent home. The good thing is that maybe they will all have had it at about the same time and will not keep bouncing it back and fourth.

I found it strange that the health care people did not have masks on yesterday. :wacko:

Hope everyone gets better soon.

Called the pediatrician office today. They are already out of the H1N1 vaccine shots and don't know when they will get again. No one is telling them anything. They do have the nasal mist but i'm hesitant give our four year old that because its the live virus version so I guess we'll wait. Does that seem like the right thing to do?

I've had a sore throat (swollen mostly) for 2-3 weeks now. Last couple of days hit the sinuses as well. No fever or anything so i'm chalking it up as the common cold. But the post above of no real flu like systems makes me wonder. Everyone else seems ok here so far, except I noticed our 5 month old has the sniffles too.

Hope he gets well soon.

Hope she does not get it again and hope you and your wife are get well soon.

Thanks. So far so good. I got a new pinball game on the xbox a couple of weeks ago. We'll get some quality time in playing that together tomorrow. After running a marathon I know that my immune system is probably down a bit right now. :wacko: I'm hoping that I can stay healthy too. I have the regular flu vaccine. At least I have a ton of sick days.

This is copy/paste from H1N1inPA.com

The bolded part is what got me as I always thought that the flu came with fever.

H1N1 Influenza Symptoms

H1N1 causes symptoms similar to seasonal flu and can include:

•*Fever over 100°F

•Cough

•Sore throat

•Runny or stuffy nose

•Body aches

•Headache

•Chills

•Fatigue

And in some cases:

•Vomiting

•Diarrhea

(*) Not everyone with flu will have a fever.

People infected with H1N1 are contagious 1 day before getting sick, and up to 7 days after that. This time period can be even longer in children and people with weakened immune systems.

The Pennsylvania Department of Health cautions anyone with the above symptoms to stay at home (except to get medical care) until at least 24 hours after the fever ends naturally (without the use of fever-reducing medication). Do not attempt to go to school or work. Doing so could spread the virus to those who are otherwise well.

My mother just brought me the doctors paper work from when i received the vaccine in 1976. I'm good to go. My son has it right now and a couple other kids on the street. Mild fever, hacking cough but lungs are clear.

This isn't the same strain is it? And wouldn't you need the shot every year, just like the regular flu shot?

A couple of things:

1) My cousin's 24-year-old daughter-in-law is clinging to life in Oregon today due to H1N1 and is not expected to make it. She is a widow (her husband, my cousin's son, died in a motorcycle accident two years ago) and she has a 3-year-old daughter. It is truly tragic. She was fine one day, and then got a fever, and then she got pneumonia in both lungs. Please pray for her.

2) Joseph Heller, author of Catch-22, had Guillain-Barre syndrome in 1981 and wrote a book about it "No Laughing Matter" - a very good read and it will scare the sh!t out of you.

Edited by Controller

This isn't the same strain is it? And wouldn't you need the shot every year, just like the regular flu shot?

Yes (sort of) and no. H1N1 is called that because viruses have these protein anchors that they use to attach to cell walls and inject their DNA/RNA to hijack the host cell for reproduction. So on this virus you have 1 Hemagglutinin and 1 Neuraminidase – hence H1N1. This is the same makeup as the 1976 strain. The reason you get a flu shot every year is due to the fact that Influenza A [H3N2] and B [i believe H2N2] are very ease to mutate whereas H1N1[influenza C] is very unlikely to mutate [Hemmagglutinin and Neuramindase related I believe but I am not a Virologist so don’t quote me]. Since we discovered this bugger it has mutated three times – once in 1918 Spanish flu pandemic where it mutated with human and bird influenza and created a flu that would target deep in the lung tissue – once in 1976 where H1N1 and H1N2 [the UK swine flu] merged and we had 2 deaths – and now [again I’m only going by research and could be way wrong on the history of this virus].

Because the seasonal flu mutates multiple times in a season, you receive vaccinations or flu shots at the beginning of the flu season. These shots hold [Chargerz you’d have to speak on this or correct me if I am wrong] dozens if not hundreds of different viral RNA/DNA from the different types of flues running around from the previous flu season. Since it mutates so fast and easily, a flu vaccination will almost never protect you through a whole season because new ones are floating around.

But anyways, the immune response is to create the helper T cells [i believe it’s the T-cells, if not it’s one of the other cells] based on the proteins on the outside of a Virus/Bacteria/fungus/ect. These ‘memory’ immune system troops can hang in your system for decades. However, they do fade over time and we're talking about a shot I receive 33 years ago.

A couple of things:

1) My cousin's 24-year-old daughter-in-law is clinging to life in Oregon today due to H1N1 and is not expected to make it. She is a widow (her husband, my cousin's son, died in a motorcycle accident two years ago) and she has a 3-year-old daughter. It is truly tragic. She was fine one day, and then got a fever, and then she got pneumonia in both lungs. Please pray for her.

2) Joseph Heller, author of Catch-22, had Guillain-Barre syndrome in 1981 and wrote a book about it "No Laughing Matter" - a very good read and it will scare the sh!t out of you.

This is very sad. I will pray for her.

The secretary of my daughter’s school sounds like the exact same story as far as the illness goes. She was a little ill one day, had a full blown fever the next, now she is in the hospital with what they are calling double pneumonia. It really does sound bad for this woman as well.