[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shooting at Ft. Hood - Central TX

darin3

Confirmed 7 dead, at least 12 injured. :wacko:

Story

All over the news here in Austin. Ft. Hood is just up the freeway from us. Plenty of Army guys head down to Austin for Saturday partying.

3 gunmen, apparently. 1 in custody. 1 on the run. 1 surrounded by authorities.

Edited by darin3

Army says 12 dead, 31 injured at Fort Hood

Gunman killed, two suspects — all soldiers — in custody in Texas incident

A U.S. soldier opened fire Thursday at Fort Hood, Texas, killing at least 11 people and wounding 31 others, military officials said. The gunman was shot to death, and two others were in custody.

Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone, commanding general of the Army’s III Corps, who confirmed the shootings, said the gunman used two handguns. NBC News’ Pete Williams reported that a U.S. official identified the gunman as Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan, who was 39 or 40.

Link

I'd really like to hear the names of the other two.

Link

I'd really like to hear the names of the other two.

Who gives a crap what their names were? It is a tragedy no matter what . . ..

From your link here is another violent shooting . . . . can you profile from this one?

Fort Hood has seen other violence in recent years. In September 2008, a 21-year-old 1st Cavalry Division soldier shot his lieutenant to death and then killed himself. Spc. Jody Michael Wirawan of Eagle River, Alaska, shot himself to death after shooting 1st Lt. Robert Bartlett Fletcher, 24, of Jensen Beach, Fla. to death.

Who gives a crap what their names were? It is a tragedy no matter what . . ..

From your link here is another violent shooting . . . . can you profile from this one?

I'd like to know if it has to do with religion or something else, that is all. Forgive me for making a logical leap, and not being pc enough for you.

I agree--wrong thread for Polk to make this point. (But I also think that you are misinterpreting his point.)

Suspected shooter is Major Malik Nadal Hasan.

A psychologist/psychiatrist and recently converted to Muslim. (current news report)

watching news conference live:

the shooter is NOT dead--he has been wounded and he is in custody

they think it is a single shooter

weird, it went from 2 shooters to 3 shooters (1 shot/in custody, 1 on the run, 1 surrounded) back down to 1?

any way you slice it, it's an extreme tragedy.

I live in Waco and work in Temple and was stationed at Hood for a period back in the day. None of which means anything, I just dont like the fact that military families have to put up with something like this on top of everything else they go thru.

Thought so. Just curious as to if you had any more local info than we're getting down here in ATX.

I'd like to know if it has to do with religion or something else, that is all. Forgive me for making a logical leap, and not being pc enough for you.

Yep...

Ft. Hood suspect reportedly shouted `Allahu Akbar'

By JEFF CARLTON, Associated Press Writer Jeff Carlton, Associated Press Writer – 42 mins ago

FORT HOOD, Texas – Soldiers who witnessed the shooting rampage at Fort Hood that left 13 people dead reported that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar!" before opening fire, the base commander said Friday.

Lt. Gen. Robert Cone said officials had not yet confirmed that the suspected shooter, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, made the comment, which is Arabic for "God is great!" before the rampage Thursday, which left 30 people wounded, including the gunman.

An imam from a mosque Hasan regularly attended said Hasan, a lifelong Muslim, was a committed soldier, gave no sign of extremist beliefs and regularly wore his uniform at prayers.

Cone said Hasan was hospitalized in stable condition and that investigators hope to interrogate him as soon as possible. In the early chaos after the shootings, authorities believed they had killed him, only to discover later that he had survived.

Cone said Hasan was not known to be a threat or risk. He acknowledged that it was "counterintuitive" that a single shooter could kill and injure so many people. But he said the massacre occurred in "close quarters."

"With ricochet fire, he was able to injure that number of people," Cone said. Authorities are investigating whether Hasan's weapons were properly registered with the military.

The motive for the shooting wasn't clear, but Hasan was apparently set to deploy soon and had expressed some anger about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said generals at Fort Hood told her that Hasan was about to deploy overseas.

Lee said Hasan had hoped Obama would pull troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq and got into frequent arguments with others in the military who supported the wars.

Link

So the military was planning on sending a devout Muslim to the Middle East to particiapte in killing those that share his beliefs. Writing was on the wall that it wasn't going to end well, IMO.