[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Navy SEALS going on trial for throwing a punch at terrorist

BeeR

Let's try one more time. PS I admit I didn't start it out well. Can we discuss this without getting all snippy and cat-fighty, or is that a silly expectation?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576646,00.html

To be fair, I have not yet seen it on another major news site, but the "right wing" nature of it can easily explain both why it is on Fox as well as why it is not on CNN or the like (likely those who are less biased are likely playing wait-and-see). So for the sake of argument, maybe it's false or inaccurate in some way, but assuming not for the moment......

This is ridiculous. We are talking Navy SEALS, not American Idol contestants. So in the course of special ops people nabbing a terrorist someone threw a punch? Tito get me a tissue. And for that our military - who "hired" them for this job and trained to not exactly be delicate in the first place (FYI special ops is kinda like that) - they're looking to bust them?

As run amok as the whole loony PC thing is, this is even among all that one of the worst examples I've ever heard of. Assuming, of course, it's true.

Edited by BeeR

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's try one more time. PS I admit I didn't start it out well. Can we discuss this without getting all snippy and cat-fighty, or is that a silly expectation?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576646,00.html

To be fair, I have not yet seen it on another major news site, but the "right wing" nature of it can easily explain both why it is on Fox as well as why it is not on CNN or the like (likely those who are less biased are likely playing wait-and-see). So for the sake of argument, maybe it's false or inaccurate in some way, but assuming not for the moment......

This is ridiculous. We are talking Navy SEALS, not American Idol contestants. So in the course of special ops people nabbing a terrorist someone threw a punch? Tito get me a tissue. And for that our military - who "hired" them for this job and trained to not exactly be delicate in the first place (FYI special ops is kinda like that) - they're looking to bust them?

As run amok as the whole loony PC thing is, this is even among all that one of the worst examples I've ever heard of. Assuming, of course, it's true.

Apparently it is a silly expectation.

Someone had to turn Jews into candles. I agree.

Regardless, and I think you did point to why some were holding out comment until someone besides Fox picked it up. Not just because of some knee-jerk reaction that many of us have to that source but to the fact that rarely is anything major ever just carried by one source. I mean, on the surface, this seems like a pretty big story, regardless of where you stand. Either it's an embarrassing example of PC ruling the day or yet another horrible atrocity committed by an over-zealous military. Regardless of your stance, or even the stance of the news source, you'd think more than just Fox would be running with it if there was something there to report.

Despite the fact that I tend to side with holding our military (or police force for that matter) to higher moral standards than those they are going after, provided this is true, I certainly have a hard time siding with anyone who wants to see any major charges brought against these guys. That said, it's technically against protocol, so for the sake of that, there should be some wink-wink, nudge-nudge slap on the wrist for these guys and they should be sent on their way. JMO

Are you saying the military should have no code of conduct in handling prisoners?

a conventional war, sure. but these fuggers play by no rules. they bomb children, torture, behead, etc. any means necessary to protect our troops and country is a go with these basturds.

a conventional war, sure. but these fuggers play by no rules. they bomb children, torture, behead, etc. any means necessary to protect our troops and country is a go with these basturds.

How is smacking around, humiliating, etc prisoners a means of protecting our troops and country? Are we not playing into their game by becoming the "great Satan" they wish potential followers to make us out to be? Winning hearts and minds is a hugh part of having any success in drawing down our mission in Iraq and in stabilizing Afghanistan. Things like this make our troops less safe, not more.

Now if the scenario is a "ticking time bomb" then absolutely you do what is necessary.

Doesn't the report say that the guy got hit after being jailed? If this was during the capture, it would be a non-event but my reading of the report indicates he was visited in a cell by someone and that's when he was "assaulted".

Did I read it wrong?

Doesn't the report say that the guy got hit after being jailed? If this was during the capture, it would be a non-event but my reading of the report indicates he was visited in a cell by someone and that's when he was "assaulted".

Did I read it wrong?

Yes, I think you read it wrong. The statement about someone visiting him says when he visited him he didn't see anything wrong with him.

Its the Seals that actually captured him that are being charged. So all I can assume is it happened when they did the capturing.

How is smacking around, humiliating, etc prisoners a means of protecting our troops and country? Are we not playing into their game by becoming the "great Satan" they wish potential followers to make us out to be? Winning hearts and minds is a hugh part of having any success in drawing down our mission in Iraq and in stabilizing Afghanistan. Things like this make our troops less safe, not more.

Now if the scenario is a "ticking time bomb" then absolutely you do what is necessary.

we are the 'great satan' regardless of what we do over there.

What if we pulled all of our troops out of the Middle East and stopped any type of support for Israel? Would we still be the Great Satan?

while it sounds like it might matter, i really dont think it would. they would find some reason to keep the fight up. its how they thrive and get funded.

Did I read it wrong?

I read it this way as well.

while it sounds like it might matter, i really dont think it would. they would find some reason to keep the fight up. its how they thrive and get funded.

So basically, the primary reason that there are terrorists is to make money? They have no real goal or reason behind what they do--they just need to 'get funded?'

Please note--I'm not asking sarcastically but that's what you seem to be implying and I want to make sure that I understand you.

I read it this way as well.

Where did you read that? Is a "glance over" considered assault these days?

The SEAL told investigators he had showered after the mission, gone to the kitchen and then decided to look in on the detainee.

"I gave the detainee a glance over and then left," the SEAL wrote. "I did not notice anything wrong with the detainee and he appeared in good health."