[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sometimes doing the right thing can be so much work ...

Grits and Shins

My 17 year old daughter has been dating the same boy for about 8 or 9 months now (a record for her) - whom for the sake of this post I will refer to as Tony Romo. My daughter is a senior in high school her boy friend is a freshman in college.

Well Tony's parents are divorced ... Dad lives in California ... mom is local and a real wack job. Last year during Tony's senior year his mother decided to get Tony a puppy (competing with divorced dad). She didn't give a lot of thought (okay any thought) to the responsibilities of dog ownership nor did she consider that her son would depart for college within 1 year. She also did not consider what might be the right kind of dog. The dog they ended up with is a mix between a border collie and a dalmation, for the sake of this post I will refer to the dog as Cujo. Cujo is very loving and highly intelligent but she is not very disciplined and is very energetic. She is a lot of work ... because she is very demanding of your time and attention. Well this doesn't set well with Tony's mom (and never really did) as she doesn't want to bother with Cujo, especially with Tony off at college.

Last month Tony's mom calls him at college and says she's had enough and is taking Cujo to the shelter. Even though they already have an agreement that Tony's mom would keep the dog for a year and next year Tony would find housing that allows dogs and take the dog to college with him. Now Tony really loves his dog and is devastated at the thought that his mother his going to drop her off at the shelter and what likely result of that action.

For whatever reason Cujo really took to my daughter and absolutely worships her ... even more than she loves Tony. Of course my daughter loves the dog as well. So now my daughter is devastated at the news.

Here comes the hard part ... out of the goodness of our hearts we offer to take Cujo for a year until Tony can claim her next year. My wife and I discussed it and are fully prepared to keep the dog however long it ends up being, even if that means the rest of her life. Neither of us really wanted a third dog ... especially as this dog has no manners and wants to use my daughters dog as a chew toy.

Here comes the twist ... Tony's mom says no. She won't give a reason ... just says no. Then she stops accepting calls. So after much consternation Tony's mom finally relents and now we are the Cujo's guardians.

She is a sweet and lovable dog ... but OMG she is a lot of work. We have to exercise her at least two or three times daily just so she isn't going banannas in the house. She absolutely adores my daughter and follows her around the house. She talks back big time and will often get very single minded about something she wants to do and refuses to listen when she is that focused (like when she wants to use my daughters Toy Fox Terrier as a chew toy).

We had 5 people here for the holidays and had to run her several hours a day just so that she was manageable with all the people in the house. When I work from home I have to start my day with 10 to 15 minutes of throwing the ball outside so she will let me work ... which works for a couple of hours when I have to repeat.

Very generous of you... :wacko: Nothing feels better than rescuing a dog from a potential shelter.

One big question, though: suppose your daughter and Romo end up breaking-up, and its not pretty....and your daughter wants to keep the dog. Do you keep it as part of your family (which it surely will be in a year), or do you give the dog to Romo (and keep in touch with him, since the dog is your bond for the next 12 months)?

Be prepared for it to potentially become a sticky situation.

All I can say is that I like my daughters boyfriends dog a whole lot better than I do the kid. :wacko: He is an assturd for sure.

My daughter's boyfriend is a nice enough guy. His biggest probem is that he allows his mother to control his life way too much. We have told him that the dog remains his even if he and my daughter break up that we won't hold ownership of his dog over his head.