[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Talk to your elders...

rocknrobn26

Don't ask me why but I started getting into a conversation with my 89 yo Mom about:

The Old Hood

Our old friends

My Grandpa

My Grandma

My Dad

Family in general

And just chit!

and more.

Anyway we spent 2 hours plus talking about this stuff. Mind you she is always in a hurry to get home for no reason, but she stuck around this time! :wacko: I was amazed as to how much my Mom remembered and how many times she corrected me! :D I did correct her a few times, but her recollections were spot on. I saw a tear in her eye whilst talking about the good times and not so good times, but she didn't want to leave even w/ my wife's beckoning! She's going home with a few...."Dammit I just can't remember the name". But that's good for her brain.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! These are moments I treasure.

And the whole point of this post is:

"TALK TO YOUR ELDERS!!!" It's fun, informative, and irreplaceable knowledge! Every bit is priceless.

NEVER IGNORE our elders. Pay attention to everything they say. There is value there.

It's your life's history. Treasure it.

FAMILY!!!!! No replacement for that.

FWIW...My Mom is still a spring chicken even at 89 yo. I love and cherish my time w/ her and dread the inevitable.

I just hope yall can appreciate what I have w/ my family but especially my Mom and I hope and pray yall have the same experience.

God Bless yall! Listen...

rr26

My grandfather is 91 years old. He is actually the one that started our construction company. I love listening to him tell me about the buildings he built, which architects were fun to work with and which were SOBs. I still take him out on the job sites 3 or 4 times a year, and am always amazed at how much stuff has changed as is he, some for the better and some for the worse. I can listen to him talk about his time during WW II for hours on end. A few years ago we drove all over two counties over about a months worth of weekends with a dictaphone chronicling different places he'd lived, buildings he'd built, people he knew, where the city limits of each particular town was in each decade, etc..... I love spending time with him. The first thing I ever built was a deer stand out at his deer lease where he taught me to hunt. He still gets around pretty well, and is very lucid. The only thing I've noticed is he is a little more emotional than he used to be, and his hearing isn't that good. At 91 he still does two routes for meals on wheels delivering meals to "the old people".

Edited by Perchoutofwater

One of the best reports I did in one of my college classes was a biography of my grandfather. I went and interviewed him and we talked for several hours about things he never really talked to me about, from his childhood to his WWII experiences, to his decision to move his family from England to Dallas and then to northern California. It was great, my only regret is that I did not record our conversations. He passed away a little less than a year after I did that report on him.

My mom is 81 years old. Last Thanksgiving we were all talking about our youth and I learned from my mom the prominent doctor who lived 4 doors down came to our house and flashed her through the window :wacko: It was the first time she told anyone, now over 40 years later. She didn't even tell my father. I ws good friends with her daughter so that must have made it difficult as well.

Last Thanksgiving was the time when the economy was really tanking and talk of a possible depression. I talked with my mom about what it was like living during that tme. For about a year, my grandfather only worked every other week. I also did some research while there and learned the largest bull market in our history was during the depression in 1931.

The thingts one can learn from our elders is... irreplacable. From their life experiences to family history and everything in between. I've seen families ignore them. My ex's Grandmother was a jem. No one talked to her... except for me. From being born in Canada, growing up in Montana with no running water, and witnessing the advent of automobiles, she was just facsinating to talk to.

Don't wait, or you could miss something extraordinary in your life. Even if they are a bit senile, the long term memory is still there. It also, BTW, actually helps them remain more lucid. Good reasons all to take the time.

I've had the pleasure of meeting RR's mom in person--she is da bomb. :D

TY, wiegie.

I just told her what you said and she said "Da Bomb??? What does that mean?" Before I had a chance to explain she said "By the way I missed all my TV shows last nite!".

:wacko:

RR, if this is some elaborate ruse to get us to listen to you it's not going to work! :wacko:

Not a ruse...but I posted this to make youngin's like you to talk to your family elders, gather info, before it's too late! :D

Believe me the experience is unreal and worthwhile.

Just do it!

I wish some of my elders were still around. When I was a young teen, my Great Grandmother was about 104, give or take a few, and I loved when my grandfather would take me out to see her. She was amazing. She knew me all the time and would talk about all my brothers and sisters. She had eight kids of her own and outlived all but two of them. She knew what kids went with what parents and kept track of all sorts of things that just had me scratching my head. She was a special lady that I really would love to have back for a little while. One Mothers Day, the same day was her birthday, she was on the cover of the Pittsburgh Press with five living generations under her. She was known as Baby in the home that she lived.

RR - you made my eyes well up.

There should be a "like" button on here like facebook:) My grandma was the coolest, she's passed now, but she could chop heads off of rattlesnakes with no hesitation or fear. She also told me, when in doubt, just pray the rosary and your fears will subside

I wish some of my elders were still around. When I was a young teen, my Great Grandmother was about 104, give or take a few, and I loved when my grandfather would take me out to see her. She was amazing. She knew me all the time and would talk about all my brothers and sisters. She had eight kids of her own and outlived all but two of them. She knew what kids went with what parents and kept track of all sorts of things that just had me scratching my head. She was a special lady that I really would love to have back for a little while. One Mothers Day, the same day was her birthday, she was on the cover of the Pittsburgh Press with five living generations under her. She was known as Baby in the home that she lived.

RR - you made my eyes well up.

As did mine after my Mom went home. God it was great!

I took my dad home from the hospital the day before he died (that hit me like a brick!). We had a good talk, though I never realized he was going to die the next day.

I still hold those moments close to my heart.

There should be a "like" button on here like facebook:) My grandma was the coolest, she's passed now, but she could chop heads off of rattlesnakes with no hesitation or fear. She also told me, when in doubt, just pray the rosary and your fears will subside

:wacko: That's what this post is about! REMEMBERING/TALKING/LISTENING! Most of us don't realize what we have/had until it's too late. DON'T WAIT!!!

You and Skip got my message, and maybe more. That's enough Gold.

Talk to the Elders. It's an experience you will ALWAYS remember, and hopefully cherish.