[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Living Rock/Roll Guitarist

Brentastic

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand Vai. In my opinion, he plays without a soul. I just can't get into he, Satriani or Yngnie Malsteem. I like soul with my guitar.

After studying and playing in jazz groups from the time I was 12 to 22 I learned a lot of the "virtuoso" stuff. I then realized that it's not needed. Give me a badass blues guitarist over a shred machine any day. Jimi Hendrix said the greatest guitarist he ever heard was Billy Gibbons of ZZTop.

gilmour-hammersmith- start at the 4 min mark for solo----or just watch the whole thing---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBwpMrCLhk

i could go on and on but been jamming this lately---this is the best version of that song---studui version is ok..

mid 80's gilmour was at his peak----at least with his guitar skills

also

I like soul with my guitar.

After studying and playing in jazz groups from the time I was 12 to 22 I learned a lot of the "virtuoso" stuff. I then realized that it's not needed. Give me a badass blues guitarist over a shred machine any day.

not sure who you are talking about with "shred machine" and "virtuoso stuff", but I can't think of a single notable jazz guitarist who has made a legitimate reputation based on those descriptions. wes montgomery, charlie christian, grant greenm django....sure there is some virtuosity there in that they know how to get around their instrument, but that's not what made them important. if you're talking about guys like satriani and vai, you're not talking about jazz.

I can't stand Vai. In my opinion, he plays without a soul. I just can't get into he, Satriani or Yngnie Malsteem. I like soul with my guitar.

After studying and playing in jazz groups from the time I was 12 to 22 I learned a lot of the "virtuoso" stuff. I then realized that it's not needed. Give me a badass blues guitarist over a shred machine any day. Jimi Hendrix said the greatest guitarist he ever heard was Billy Gibbons of ZZTop.

+billion

Never liked those 'shred' guys either. I watched the Vai link and vomitted in my mouth.

I like it when someone can play classical music on a guitar even though I'm not really a fan of classical music.

Well, we're kinda getting off the thread topic, but

(Oh no, technical proficiency!! Get the torches!!!!)

Ralph Maccio in the movie "Crossroads"! He plays better than he acts, if you can believe that!

You know Steve Vai was the devil's guitar player in that flick right? In the words of John Popper (from Blues Traveler), he "kicked that kid's ass" . . .

Peace

policy

If you can't listen to the G3 recording of For The Love Of God and tell the difference between it and Malmsteen's hours and hours of Paganini-inspired metal, well, maybe this isn't the right conversation for you.

Honestly, though, while Vai's my favorite, and arguably the best living rock and roll guitarist, I'd be strongly inclined to give the mix of skill/influence/sales/legend/history to Eric Clapton. Saw him live about five years ago; he's still unbelievable.

Peace

policy

If you can't listen to the G3 recording of For The Love Of God and tell the difference between it and Malmsteen's hours and hours of Paganini-inspired metal, well, maybe this isn't the right conversation for you.

I might make this my new sig. No idea why, but I might.

• 10 months later...
gilmour-hammersmith- start at the 4 min mark for solo----or just watch the whole thing---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBwpMrCLhk

i could go on and on but been jamming this lately---this is the best version of that song---studui version is ok..

mid 80's gilmour was at his peak----at least with his guitar skills

also

I used to enjoy pure speed and still do to an extent.

Now, I appreciate how someone like Gilmour can wring emotion from me.