[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Daughter Help Needed

Missoula Griz

Ok, she is 9 and a Montanan Tom-Boy. She has an older brother who is 13, and because of that she is pretty tough. She can be a lady at one moment, but tackle a boy the next.

Problem.....

She has been playing Call of Duty 6 on the Xbox live with brother. Today, I decided it was not a good parental decision. Hindsight is 20-20 if you act upon it.

Huddlers....I realize my mistake, but what I need is some suggestions on age appropriate games so I can hit Walmart tomorrow and give her a game we can play without her worrying how many Kills she had..

Help a brother man..

Ok, she is 9 and a Montanan Tom-Boy. She has an older brother who is 13, and because of that she is pretty tough. She can be a lady at one moment, but tackle a boy the next.

Problem.....

She has been playing Call of Duty 6 on the Xbox live with brother. Today, I decided it was not a good parental decision. Hindsight is 20-20 if you act upon it.

Huddlers....I realize my mistake, but what I need is some suggestions on age appropriate games so I can hit Walmart tomorrow and give her a game we can play without her worrying how many Kills she had..

Help a brother man..

Why would you worry? There's nothing left living for 5 miles around your place anyway. :wacko:

Why would you worry? There's nothing left living for 5 miles around your place anyway. :wacko:

Good point, but shooting deer, elk, mountain lions, turkey, grouse and some nasty crows is different than killing Germans...Puddy may disagree... :D

Forgot...and the occasional robin crappin on the deck....

Edited by Missoula Griz

Take her slowly but surely away from killing humans on CoD to killing animals on Cabela's Big Game Hunting and then to killing little mushrooms and turtles on Super Mario Brothers. By then she won't even know what happened. :wacko:

I have an 11 year old daughter who plays mario kart, various petz games, etc. on the Wii. Loves the bowling, too.

My 11 year old son is hell on wheels on Xbox Live though. Think about picking up a Wii for her, the games are much more 'gentle'. Not much out there for the xbox that's tame.

I'm on the xbox a lot as well, but I'm burning the hours playing Dragon Age. Used to do the FPS thing, but burned out on it.

Guitar Hero is a pretty good sugestion for the xbox as well. Son likes to sing, daughter drums, and I mash buttons on the plastic strat :wacko:

Can someone please explain to me the fascination with these music video games (i.e. rock band, guitar hero, etc)?? That just looks insanely stupid to me! What am I not getting about them? They are incredibly popular, but why not learn an actual instrument? This probably deserves its own thread, but still...

Anyway, my suggestion would be trying the wii fit. The Winter Olympics are around the corner so you could tie in the wii games to the actual ones you wind up watching on TV. Do the ski jumps, slalom courses, etc. (and you could do these with her).

Edited by millerx

I know most consider this radical if not crazy, but I wouldn't just get her away from "violent" games - I'd lock the freaking video games up and tell her/the kids to go outside and play - WITHOUT any electronic doo-dads, ie use their own creativity/etc vs spacing out on the brainmush-making stuff. Raining? Then play cards together, or a board game of some kind. Just something where they aren't getting their heroin-like fix of flashing lights and bleeps and zaps and video whatevers.

PS I've played my share of PC games I'm not saying this from an ivory tower - but if it were me, I'd keep this kind of stuff VERY much to a min w/kids. Just IMO

Can someone please explain to me the fascination with these music video games (i.e. rock band, guitar hero, etc)?? That jus tlooks insanely stupid to me! What am I not getting about them? They are incredibly popular, but why not learn an actual instrument?

Apparently because when kids hit a color-coded button when the PC tells them to and then a chord or note comes out, they feel like they're playing an instrument. :wacko: Course this still takes more talent than rap, but so does walking and chewing gum, and as you said we digress...

I have an 11 year old daughter who plays mario kart, various petz games, etc. on the Wii. Loves the bowling, too.

Wii is her and mom's game. They battle bigtime. I agree, a much gentler software for the most part. I play as well.

Find me and my daughter an Xbox game which we can both enjoy which is not too ghey....at least for me.

Help a bro in need

just kid a quick google search & didn't really see anything a girl would like. since we don't have an xbox 360/PS3, my two girls play the wii & their nintendo DS's. my 9 yr old really gets into the mario bros games & rockband.

Can someone please explain to me the fascination with these music video games (i.e. rock band, guitar hero, etc)?? That just looks insanely stupid to me! What am I not getting about them? They are incredibly popular, but why not learn an actual instrument? This probably deserves its own thread, but still...

Ever play air guitar when nobody was looking fantasizing about rocking to a packed house? This is the next better thing.

Apparently because when kids hit a color-coded button when the PC tells them to and then a chord or note comes out, they feel like they're playing an instrument. :D Course this still takes more talent than rap, but so does walking and chewing gum, and as you said we digress...

I have to say something on that. I shared your opinion ... until I actually played it with my kids. We have three so I got Rock Band 2 with two guitars, drums and mic for them. It is surprisingly difficult and really, really fun.

After I belted out "Spirit In the Sky", my kids looked at me and said, "You KNEW the words to that song?" :wacko:

BTW, apparently Rockband 2 kicks Guitar Hero's arse.

I have to say something on that. I shared your opinion ... until I actually played it with my kids. We have three so I got Rock Band 2 with two guitars, drums and mic for them. It is surprisingly difficult and really, really fun.

After I belted out "Spirit In the Sky", my kids looked at me and said, "You KNEW the words to that song?" :wacko:

BTW, apparently Rockband 2 kicks Guitar Hero's arse.

+1

Got Rock Band 2 for x-mas and we've been playing it non-stop. Battery is kickin' my ass. My 9 and 7 yr olds love it.

Good point, but shooting deer, elk, mountain lions, turkey, grouse and some nasty crows is different than killing Germans...

Yes different, but better. You ever take Da Vette up against a little BMW for fun? The Beemer basically drops it's coolant in it's diaper just before the light turning green. There is nothing funner than watching a baby German cry. It must be the same feeling you get like you're flying 35,000 feet above Berlin dropping 40,000 pounds of freedom bombs. I'm not without heart though...I do leave it a Corvette flyer with their nearest Chevy dealership.

Yes different, but better. You ever take Da Vette up against a little BMW for fun? The Beemer basically drops it's coolant in it's diaper just before the light turning green. There is nothing funner than watching a baby German cry. It must be the same feeling you get like you're flying 35,000 feet above Berlin dropping 40,000 pounds of freedom bombs. I'm not without heart though...I do leave it a Corvette flyer with their nearest Chevy dealership.

Maybe you should stop picking on the 318i's and actually take on a real BMW.

Ever play air guitar when nobody was looking fantasizing about rocking to a packed house? This is the next better thing.

Believe me, yes he has..... (to Nelson tunes and people were looking)

Apparently because when kids hit a color-coded button when the PC tells them to and then a chord or note comes out, they feel like they're playing an instrument. :wacko: Course this still takes more talent than rap, but so does walking and chewing gum, and as you said we digress...

There's a lot of good music for these games, and it's fun to interact with it. You'd have to be a real idiot to think you're actually playing the song. I also play some real guitar, and playing these games actually helps my ear & keeps my fingers nimble. I've learned about a number of bands I never would have known (e.g. Avenged Sevenfold, Wolfmother), and it's fun to hear my son go around singing classics like Bodhisattva, The Joker, and even some Johnny Cash.

It's all about fun with your family, and not any different than racing fake cars or fighing fake wars by pushing buttons, is it?

We have a Wii and a PS3, and neither one get played very much at all. I probably spend more time on the PS3 than the kids do, and I rarely play. We bought it primarily as a bluray player and for me to play Madden on. We keep our kids involved in sports and church events, so they have very little time to play video games. When they do have time they normally choose to spend it practicing basket ball out in the driveway or shooting their bb guns, or playing with other kids close to our house. I have two girls 8 and 11. The 8 year old will still climb up in my lap to watch boxing or MMA, and knows both sports fairly well, and can talk about them intelligently. The first time she said "he needs to use his jab more" was a proud moment. They both can shoot very well, the 11 year old can probably shoot better than 95% of the people on this board. Having said all of that, they are still very girlie except for when it comes to sports, where they are typically more aggressive than most girls. They still argue over who is hotter the wolf guy or Edward on Twighlight, and can sing most every Hannah Montana song. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't see a problem with the kid playing the video game as long you express to her what is acceptable in a video game isn't necessarily acceptable in real life. Prior to my 8 year old watching boxing and MMA her and her sister used to get in fights all the time and the 8 year old generally won (she is just naturally more aggressive). Since she and I started watching fights I made it very clear to her that if she does anything she sees in the fights to her sister or another kid she will no longer be allowed to watch them. She really enjoys our "daddy/daughter time", and as a result she and her sister have gotten in significantly fewer fights.

Edited by Perchoutofwater