[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teens: Oral Sex and Casual Prostitution No Biggie...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/story?...3121&page=1

They don't give their names, but viewers can see their faces plainly and what these teens are saying is shocking parents.

"I ended up having sex with more than one person that night and then in the morning I was trying to get morning-after pills," one of the girls said. "I was, like, 14 at the time."

It's just one of dozens of stories from teenage girls in a new documentary by Canadian filmmaker Sharlene Azam that aims to shed light on the secret, extremely sexual lives of today's teens.

After four years researching for the documentary, Azam told "Good Morning America" that oral sex is as common as kissing for teens and that casual prostitution -- being paid at parties to strip, give sexual favors or have sex -- is far more commonplace than once believed.

"If you talk to teens [about oral sex] they'll tell you it's not a big deal," Azam said. "In fact, they don't consider it sex. They don't consider a lot of things sex."

Evidence of this casual attitude may be seen in the fact that more than half of all teens 15 to 19 years old have engaged in oral sex, according to a comprehensive 2005 study by the Centers for Disease Control's National Center for Health Statistics.

'Oral Sex Is the New Goodnight Kiss'

In the documentary, "Oral Sex Is the New Goodnight Kiss," girls as young as 11 years old talk about having sex, going to sex parties and -- in some extreme situations -- crossing into prostitution by exchanging sexual favors for money, clothes or even homework and then still arriving home in time for dinner with the family.

"Five minutes and I got $100," one girl said. "If I'm going to sleep with them, anyway, because they're good-looking, might as well get paid for it, right?"

Another girl talked about being offered $20 to take off her shirt or $100 to do a striptease on a table at a party.

The girls are almost always from good homes, but their parents are completely unaware, Azam said.

"The prettiest girls from the most successful families [are the most at risk]. We're not talking about marginalized girls," she said. "[Parents] don't want to know because they really don't know what to do. I mean, you might be prepared to learn that, at age 12, your daughter has had sex, but what are you supposed to do when your daughter has traded her virginity for $1,000 or a new bag?"

Sex Favors Traded for Relationship Stability

For some of the girls, the sexual favors are not about clothes or money, but used to keep a relationship together in a chillingly objective way.

"I think there's very much trading for relationship favors, almost like 'you need to do this [to] stay in this relationship,'" one girl told "Good Morning America."

"There's a lot of social pressure," said another. "Especially because of our age, a lot of girls want to be in a relationship and they're willing to do anything."

The girls laughingly admitted they never talk to their parents about their sexual activity.

"I mean, we're not looking for our future husbands," one girl said. "We're just looking for, maybe like ... at our age, especially, I think all of us, both sexes, we have a lot of urges, I guess, that need to be taken care of. So if we resort to a casual thing, no strings attached, it's perfectly fine."

Azam said she thinks the "no strings attached" romances could be a defense mechanism against a greater disappointment.

"A lot of girls are disappointed in love," she said. "And I think they believe they can hook up the way guys do and not care.

"But unfortunately, they do care."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really sad, and it happens more than you think. At the school district my wife used to work at a few years ago there was a tape floating around from a party. Apparently it showed more than 20 people having sex.

This past Christmas I was around all of my older nieces and they were saying how a lot of people don't consider a BJ or eating at the Y as being sex. I was shocked. It is a scary time to have kids, particularly girls now. We had "the talk" with my 11 year old two years ago. You can only hope you raise them right. It does make me glad that I have plenty of guns that need cleaning.

My oldest daughter is 13. Two weeks ago she tells me that a girl in her school is pregnant. I went through her phone (actually my phone) that we let her and her sister use when they are out of the house, and I start leafing through some text messages. One girl in particular is accusing her boyfriend of raping her.

I am out of my mind with terror.

I know we've raised her right, so I'm not very worried about her per se...but when I see/read/hear this stuff, I'm going insane.

Mr.Clinton You may stand up and take a bow. You set a great example for all of America for the next 100 years.

:wacko::D

Wow. If someone posts a "It's Bush's fault!" post in the year 2019 they should get laughed out of here.

Let's ignore the Jerry Springer, Montel Williams etc talk shows that do more to glorify this type of behavior by lavishing attention on the perps and blame it on Bill.

Rich. :D

Mr.Clinton You may stand up and take a bow. You set a great example for all of America for the next 100 years.

Politics aside, I see this point. Change the name, say it was Bush, the message is still the same. The nonchalance in the activity of sex these days is what has me nervous for my girls...the desensitization if you will. There is a difference between being sexy and sexual activity that kids don't distinguish between nowadays. I do want to believe that if you raise them right, they will be equipped to make the right decisions...but it sure doesn't help when you have products like Bratz dolls encouraging them when they are 5 years old. To me that is just sick.

My wife doesn't get it when I use that as an example (Bratz girls and the like), she doesn't see the implications it draws or what type of image it projects. I also tell her she doesn't know what goes through a boys head in those teen years. She doesn't know boys will say or do anything to get it. She doesn't know that's basically ALL a boy thinks about. Sure she says she does, be we all know women just don't get it... It's like us saying we understand the pain of labor. I know I'm kidding myself to think they won't eventually experiment with sex at some point (hopefully when they are older), but it sure doesn't help when it is being force fed to them at such young ages.

And what happened to girl power and carrying the flag of respect with you as a woman? (I'd love to hear from the women huddlers on this). Why are these acts not frowned upon anymore. They use to be able to self regulate themselves by worrying about being labeled a wh0re., because it sure as hell wasn't gonna be done by the boys (the self-regulation that is).

I really don't wanna go to jail for killing some young punk because this... but a dad has gotta do what a dad has gotta do. Maybe I should conform to Islam where I would have a defense for my actions... "she disgraced our family, your honor" ... :wacko:

I was going to be shocked until I remembered what I did in junior high.

more than half of all teens 15 to 19 years old have engaged in oral sex
Big difference between 15 and 19 IMO. High school freshman vs college freshman... Actually I'm shocked its not higher by the time 19 comes around. Edited by The Irish Doggy

Yes, I'm sure that Clinton and Lewinksy was the primary source of influence for today's 16 year olds. 3 year olds are very impressionable at that age with current social and political events. Blame society where the root of the problem starts at, not a single person. Edited by cdrudge

:D you know why the bride has a big smile on her face

seriously though i was in Des Moines for a Batchelor party,buddies 2nd time around and he liked dance clubs so we hit one and while we were standing in line with a bunch of prolly 16-19 yr olds ( we're early 30's ) this guy says " hey Amy you haven't blown anybody in 15 minutes, get the fk down here" :wacko: i'm already pissed at the youth of America and blast this guy and the 3 of us are fighting teenage boys & girls in a heartbeat.....ya think anyone thanked me for that :D

I know this is probably asking too much here, but can we pls not digress yet another thread into a political cat fight....

Really this is just another spiral of the tailspin our society has been on for decades...and the driving force is all the people out there either too stupid to see it or too cowardly to speak out about it. In fact often when I have, people give me this "oh don't be so cynical/negative (etc blah etc)." :wacko:

Nothing in this regard surprises me anymore. The saddest part is you can still raise your kids right but peer pressure is very strong, so they might still succumb. Best of luck to all parents out there, just hope you don't need it.

I am quite split on this particular issue. Not having chillens probably makes it less personal for me. Regardless, we as a society have a very f'ed up image of sex in general. It is way too repressive and generally unhealthy. Also, I would be willing to bet that the majority of y'all started having sex before the age of 18. However I do get why some of you, especially those of you with daughters, might find this trend disturbing.

The sexual drive in both boys and girls is pretty strong at that age. Giving them the tools to make proper, informed decisions for their own physical, emotional and sexual safety is about the best any parent can do. That means having open, frank, non-judgmental discussions with them on these topics, not just the quick birds and the bees talk that most of us got.

Well, I'm 30 and we used to have HS girls show us their cans for beers (mid 90s). Many of my friends were responsible for much worse and we were around the 16-18. I'm with Irish Doggy on this... I'm surprised that only have half of 15-19 year olds have had oral sex. We should start a thread with a poll on when the average person lost their V card.

"Our earth is degenerate in these latter days. There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end. Bribery and corruption are common. Children no longer obey their parents. Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world is evidently approaching."

Attributed to the writing on a tablet, unearthed not far from Babylon and dated back to 2800 B.C.

Edited by Square

You do know what happened to the babylonian empire, right...

ETA:

My Bad, 2800 BCE would have been the end of the Sumerian Empire... But you know what happened to them, right?

Edited by SEC=UGA

:D you know why the bride has a big smile on her face

seriously though i was in Des Moines for a Batchelor party,buddies 2nd time around and he liked dance clubs so we hit one and while we were standing in line with a bunch of prolly 16-19 yr olds ( we're early 30's ) this guy says " hey Amy you haven't blown anybody in 15 minutes, get the fk down here" :wacko: i'm already pissed at the youth of America and blast this guy and the 3 of us are fighting teenage boys & girls in a heartbeat.....ya think anyone thanked me for that :D

Is this true? If so, you're really pathetic, I mean REALLY pathetic.

IMO having 2 teenage daughters, it is the parents responsibility to make sure their kids don't end up going to party's like that or in places where things like this might happen. Could it happen anywhere? I guess, but I can tell you straight out that if my child asks to go to any party and I can't talk to a parent that is going to be their the entire time, then my child isn't going. They can be upset at me all they want. It's my job to make sure crap like this doesn't happen. Restricting some TV shows and even certain radio shows is constantly what I have to do. It's freakin rediculous how much crap there is on TV today that just isn't appropriate for my kids.

I know I sound like some overbearing parent, but I'm not about to teach my kids that it's okay to be like this. I can tell you for a fact that I've made my point and they understand it. Even my 15 year old doesn't fight with me that much about these things because she gets it. Soon I won't be able to protect her and she's going to have to stand on her own two feet. I'm helping her understand right from wrong and I think she's getting it. Kids getting pregnant at 12 or younger is most likely the parents fault.