[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

VA Governor declares State of Emergency

keggerz

Governor McDonnell Declares State of Emergency in Advance of Potential Winter Storm

*State of Emergency Necessary in Order to Pre-Position State Resources*

Current Forecast Predicts Greatest Potential Impact in Southwest, Southern, Southeastern and Central Virginia

Virginians Can Check Road Conditions by Calling 511 or by Visiting 511Virginia.org; More Information About Winter Weather Preparedness Available at http://www.vaemergency.com/threats/winter/index.cfm

RICHMOND - Governor Bob McDonnell declared a state of emergency today, authorizing state agencies to assist local governments responding to the potential winter storm that is expected to affect parts of the Commonwealth Friday and Saturday.

The exact snowfall total, and storm track, is still uncertain, but the southern half of Virginia from Southwest Virginia to Hampton Roads is expected to receive the brunt of the storm, and has the potential for significant accumulations of snow.

In declaring a state of emergency, the governor authorizes state agencies to identify and position resources for quick response anywhere they are needed in Virginia. A State of Emergency must be issued in advance to allow for proper and effective preparation. State agencies are getting ready for the storm by taking actions, including:

The Virginia Department of Emergency Management has held weather conference calls with the National Weather Service, state agencies and local governments.

The Virginia Department of State Police and the Department of Transportation are preparing to keep roadways clear and assist motorists.

The Virginia National Guard has placed 200 soldiers on standby.

The Virginia Emergency Operations Center will bring in a small number of response team members beginning Friday night. By Saturday morning, a larger group from several state agencies, major utilities and other affiliated organizations will be in place.

Virginians in the affected areas can prepare for the storm by having an emergency kit in their home and vehicle that includes water, food, a battery-powered radio, blankets, flashlight and extra batteries. Also, citizens should monitor news outlets for updates on this developing storm, and check road conditions before they leave home by calling 511 or logging in to 511Virginia.org. In areas where significant snowfall occurs, Virginians are encouraged to stay off the roads until the storm abates and roads are cleared.

More information about winter weather preparedness is available at http://www.vaemergency.com/threats/winter/index.cfm

Detailed information about how Virginians can stay safe during any emergency is available at www.ReadyVirginia.gov and in Spanish at www.ListoVirginia.gov.

Virginia is getting pummeled with snow this year. Does that mean that Virginians have finally signed that pact with the devil?

Virginia is getting pummeled with snow this year.
I'm kind of bumed so far this season. The "southern" states have gotten more snowfall then we have. So far we've received about 5" of snowfall for the entire season. Damned global warming.

What is significant down there, like 10 inches?

We had 9" last month. If it falls on a Saturday like this one, it's not too bad and we deal with it pretty well. But, yeah, 10" is pretty significant here. This one is supposed to be all fluffy snow. Normally, we almost always get the sleet and freezing rain before it starts and mixes in which causes the depth to be less, but causes much more problems.

I could live on the equator with 100 degrees everyday and be just fine.

We had 9" last month. If it falls on a Saturday like this one, it's not too bad and we deal with it pretty well. But, yeah, 10" is pretty significant here. This one is supposed to be all fluffy snow. Normally, we almost always get the sleet and freezing rain before it starts and mixes in which causes the depth to be less, but causes much more problems.

The ice is tough, especially under snow because it is invisible then. We get 100" a year, so a 10" overnight doesn't stop us. I am amazed that people who have lived in the snow belt of Ohio their entire life simply forget how to drive every winter. We got ahmmered a few weeks ago and I saw a couple mustangs in the ditch on back roads. What were they thinking?

Good luck.

Tina hasn't seen 9 or 10 inches in a long time I am sure :wacko:

You could always move to Phoenix. I think we need an intern in our accounting department. You'll work for free right?

What is significant down there, like 10 inches?

I had 24" last month, that's more than we see in a year. I've got another 10 to 12 scheduled for this evening. I moved south to get away from this crap.

Yep.

Detroit snowfall in 2008 set record

By Jonathan Oosting | MLive.com

February 02, 2009, 6:22AM

WHITE LAKE TOWNSHIP -- Weather experts say 2008 was the snowiest calendar year in Detroit since records began being kept in 1880.

Meteorologist Bill Deedler of the National Weather Service in Oakland County's White Lake Township says 82.6 inches of snow was measured at Detroit from Jan. 1-Dec. 31 of last year. The previous record of 75.3 inches was set in 1974 and tied in 2005.

Saginaw and Flint also set snowfall record for calendar 2008 with 102.5 inches and 98.3 inches, respectively.

So far in 2009, snowfall records don't appear to be threatened. The weather service at Gaylord says 30 inches of snow fell last month at Alpena, making it the 11th-snowiest January on record since 1916. But snowfall levels at Gaylord, Houghton Lake, Sault Ste. Marie and Traverse City were below normal.