[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most Gutsy Call of any Superbowl

Cowboyz1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, beginning of 2nd half and pull a onside kick. Gutiest move I've ever seen, besides the fact you're doing it with Manning on the other side. No way anyone saw that coming, and probably why it worked. I don't think he would have been an idiot if it didn't work. He tried something no ones seen in the SB and believed in his team. Some of you say risk was too great, I think Manning probably scores on a kick off, and it most likely been same result if they don't recover it. Risk was 7 points most likely, reward was game changing play, complete reversal of momemtum, and the Saints score 1st. Reward was greater than the risk in my book, but took one big set of balls to call it.

So Peyton knew Baskett would not catch the ball? Sorry, that doesn't wash for me. It was a very risky call that worked out. At very best, it's 50-50 the Saints recover... after all, it did bounce off of Baskett, right? It wasn't well executed either. Baskett has lousy hands, and I am not about to buy into the idea that Baskett was some sort of target, and his miscue was anticipated. I don't think Baskett misplays that ball 4 out of 10 times.

I would not have risked giving Manning a short field there, especially since the N.O. D was playing well. I'm not going to call it a good call because it worked. That would be hypocritical. Because it worked doesn't make it a good call.

I loved most of what the Saints did the entire game, but I just think this play was far too risky.

huh? you are right about one thing in this post- it wasn't a good call- it was a flat out tremendous call

Payton and his staff caught the Colts front line retreating early to block, they scouted it out nicely and it worked. He said they felt it was about 70/30 they get the the recovery. It was not a matter of if but when, great call by the NO coaching staff

It worked beautifully and turned the game around. Brilliant call all around - too risky? ha, okay - well I would think in order to qualify as the gutsiest call in any SB, it would have to be somewhat risky.........

I don't think it was all that risky of a call at all...doesn't mean it didn't take some balls to make the call but still, don't think it was that risky...ask yourself, what was the likely % chance in your mind that the Colts marched right down the field on that opening drive to score a TD? Honestly, I think it was probably a pretty high percentage...so at worst if it doesn't work out then the Saints gave away some yardage that was very likely to be gained anyway...I do think it was a WIN WIN situation for the Saints to try it but still don't see it as risky. Smart might be a better word.

Do you think Payton makes that call if he isn't confident from what he had seen on film that a well executed onsides kick gives them better than average odds for an onsides kick? Also, consider this - what are the chances that the Colts go down and score a TD on the first posession of the 2nd half if the Saints kick it off there? Even if the onsides kick fails, you have to acknowledge that Payton did what a coach should do - he assessed the situation properly, weighed the risk vs. reward, made the call that he felt would give his team what it needed to gain the advantage in the game, and asked his players to make a play (which they did). Even if this attempt fails, I don't think you can question Payton's rationale for the decision. Isn't that what coaches are supposed to do... find weaknesses in the opposing team and exploit them?

I think that the % of that happening was probably pretty high...and I am sure that many others, including Saints fans thought it was something that very well could have happened too.

First I want to say that Paytons call was genius!

But this onside kick was possibly the worst handled by NFL Officials I have ever seen. The call caught everyone by surprise the tv guys, the fans in the seats, the telveision audience, the Colts but mostly the Officials.

It took them somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 minute to determine who had posession of the ball, something that would have taken about 15 seconds at the most, had they been prepared for the possibility of an onside kick. Something that should have been discussed during their half time meeting.

The handling of this play lies squarely on the shoulders of their Crew Chief. The Officiating Crew was caught totally flat footed.

Hero if it works, and idiot if it doesn't. Period.

Big time. If it doesn't work everyone would be bashing him for giving Peyton Manning a short field and if the Colts go on to win it would go down as one of the dumbest calls in Super Bowl History.

Big time. If it doesn't work everyone would be bashing him for giving Peyton Manning a short field and if the Colts go on to win it would go down as one of the dumbest calls in Super Bowl History.

That is why I have to stick with my gut reaction when the play occurred and the entire time it took the refs to peel players off the pile. I thought it was a mistake then, can't say differently after the fact because it worked. It was a game changer, no doubt. I won't say it was a dumb call at all, even if it didn't work on the other hand... just too risky IMO.

What do you all think about this on sides call vs Belicheck going for it on 4th down earlier in the season? Discuss.

:wacko:

imo, completely different scenarios and that is largely due to the time it occured as well as having the lead versus trailing

The most gutsy call was Da Bears giving the ball to the f'n one-hit wonder Fridge instead of Walter in the blowout of the Pats, making sure a lifetime of Walter Payton fans (but not Bears fans) would hate that franchise for all-time.

So Peyton knew Baskett would not catch the ball? Sorry, that doesn't wash for me. It was a very risky call that worked out. At very best, it's 50-50 the Saints recover... after all, it did bounce off of Baskett, right? It wasn't well executed either. Baskett has lousy hands, and I am not about to buy into the idea that Baskett was some sort of target, and his miscue was anticipated. I don't think Baskett misplays that ball 4 out of 10 times.

I would not have risked giving Manning a short field there, especially since the N.O. D was playing well. I'm not going to call it a good call because it worked. That would be hypocritical. Because it worked doesn't make it a good call.

I loved most of what the Saints did the entire game, but I just think this play was far too risky.

What Payton knew was that the two guys on the right side of the coverage team for the Colts were bailing on the kick and had been consistently doing this on kickoffs. He realized this was a weakness that could be exploited, but of course he needed a little luck to go his way as well. However, the fact that the ball traveled almost 15 yards before Baskett touched it says a lot - that the Colts were not ready for that play at all (as Payton suspected they wouldn't be). Here's a link to where Payton estimates that the onsides kick had about a 60-70% chance of working (about the sixth paragraph down which starts with "The onside-kick call".

Based on his assessment of the situation, it is still a risk, but not nearly as risky as you make it sound, Rovers. Maybe it is 50-50 in reality and not the 60 or 70 % chance Payton gives it. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here, seeing as he's the coach who studies the film and makes it a point to be as knowledgable as possible about his opponent so he can make decisions like these which give his team the best chance for success. Of course, if Payton thinks there's possibly a 70% chance of success but doesn't have the confidence in his team to execute, then what's the point of coaching?

Another way to think of it is this - Are the odds of the Colts marching down the field to score a TD significantly less than the odds of the Saints recovering that onsides kick? Because if the Colts go up 17-6, you have to figure the chances of the Saints winning plummet substantially.

Because it worked doesn't make it a good call.

This makes me think of poker. An exceptional poker player can make a great call but get unlucky and lose, but that doesn't make him a poor poker player (nor does it make his opponent a good poker player). The point is that you have to separate the decision to make the call from the results of the hand (or in football, the play).

First I want to say that Paytons call was genius!

But this onside kick was possibly the worst handled by NFL Officials I have ever seen. The call caught everyone by surprise the tv guys, the fans in the seats, the telveision audience, the Colts but mostly the Officials.

It took them somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 minute to determine who had posession of the ball, something that would have taken about 15 seconds at the most, had they been prepared for the possibility of an onside kick. Something that should have been discussed during their half time meeting.

The handling of this play lies squarely on the shoulders of their Crew Chief. The Officiating Crew was caught totally flat footed.

i actually read somewhere that Payton gave the officials a heads up it was coming. There were 20 guys trying to get the ball, not sure what else the officials could have done.