[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's Talk About...

kpholmes

I know most of us here have a higher understanding of the Xs and Os of football than the average fan who watches a game or two every few weeks. However, there are very few aspects of football more frustrating to me than overhearing or being involved in conversations with uninformed football fans, especially when they think they know what they're talking about.

Some examples from the past 24 hours:

"I really want Peyton Manning to win so people will think he's as good as Phillip Rivers"

"Did you see the Saints kicker mess up the kickoff at the start of the third quarter?" "Yeah, lucky break for the Saints"

"I hope Drew Brees gets to spend his entire career in New Orleans"

"Marques Colston has to be one of the best 1st round picks the Saints have ever had"

"Peyton Manning would never have gotten this far without the Colts talented running game"

:wacko:

I hear things like this as I pass by people, or at nearby tables and it just makes me cringe. It's really developed into a bad pet peeve of mine.

What are your experiences with these conversations? Any humorous ones?

Do they bother you at all?

I've found at work that once you get beyond the four TDs thrown or the 150 RB yards, there are maybe only one or two people who can carry on the conversation. This isn't to say I'm a football genius - God knows I'm way behind most of you folks here - but the average football watcher is extremely shallow. OLs and entire defenses may as well not exist as individuals or even groups.

I know most of us here have a higher understanding of the Xs and Os of football than the average fan who watches a game or two every few weeks. However, there are very few aspects of football more frustrating to me than overhearing or being involved in conversations with uninformed football fans, especially when they think they know what they're talking about.

Some examples from the past 24 hours:

"I really want Peyton Manning to win so people will think he's as good as Phillip Rivers"

"Did you see the Saints kicker mess up the kickoff at the start of the third quarter?" "Yeah, lucky break for the Saints"

"I hope Drew Brees gets to spend his entire career in New Orleans"

"Marques Colston has to be one of the best 1st round picks the Saints have ever had"

"Peyton Manning would never have gotten this far without the Colts talented running game"

:wacko:

I hear things like this as I pass by people, or at nearby tables and it just makes me cringe. It's really developed into a bad pet peeve of mine.

What are your experiences with these conversations? Any humorous ones?

Do they bother you at all?

My boss is the biggest example of this that I know. He thinks he knows everything about football and goes on and on about things that he knows nothing about. It's very frustrating. I usually just agree with him and walk away when he comes up for air.

I was appalled Friday morning when the morning show my wife has on while she gets ready for work had a woman on there to advise women that don't know anything about football about how to come across as a more knowlegable fan. This woman told the viewers to spout off something about trying a "play-action" or urging the defense to "blitz."

I couldn't decide which was more pathetic, the fact that someone was watching her and taking her advice, or the fact that she felt quaIfied to tell the viewers about this "trick" play where the QB pretends to hand the ball off and then throws it downfield. Funny sad stuff there.

The line I heard most last night at the bar was not really football knowledge involved, but WHAT NUMBERS DO YOU GOT!! Or some deranged woman screaming that she needs 3 more field goals from the Colts in the 4th to win her pool. :wacko:

:D

This was the first year that I have really got into the SB squares, and since I had no real rooting interest in this game one way or the other I was just hoping for a good hard played game.......and for me to hit my numbers!!! :D

I had a few Saints fans in my section that were definitely uniformed. At one point a guy runs out of bounds with 10 or so minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. Ball is set and clock starts running...."Why is the clock running? He was out of bounds!"

Every team has them though and the average fan definitely doesn't know all the rules etc.. It's nothing new.

Edited by myhousekey

I've found at work that once you get beyond the four TDs thrown or the 150 RB yards, there are maybe only one or two people who can carry on the conversation. This isn't to say I'm a football genius - God knows I'm way behind most of you folks here - but the average football watcher is extremely shallow. OLs and entire defenses may as well not exist as individuals or even groups.

God is not the only one aware of this fact.