[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone heard of an Engagement Party?

Jackass

Slightly off-topic, but I'm going to vent for a moment...

Couple years ago my wife's brother got married and my wife was one of NINE bridesmaids. One of the bride's friends planned a wedding shower at a very ritzy venue which often hosts actual weddings. Despite objections from several of us over the cost, the shower went ahead as planned, each bridesmaid contributing $600. Yes, that's six hundred American, for the privilege of watching Princess sit there and look excited over lingerie and toaster ovens. My wife was also asked to chip in for a cash gift at the shower but we had to draw the line (and we were broke from paying for the shower). With my wife's dress, chipping in for the limo/booze, and their gift we paid over a grand for that wedding. It pisses me off to this day (if that was not obvious). Worst of all, we both helped out with various tasks like stocking the limo and their suite, and never received thanks of any kind.

Getting married is an exciting time but you can't act like (other peoples') money is no object, or that family and friends should gladly become your unpaid servants. A simple acknowledgement and heartfelt thanks for our time, effort and expenditures would have gone a long way.

Couple years ago my wife's brother got married and my wife was one of NINE bridesmaids. One of the bride's friends planned a wedding shower at a very ritzy venue which often hosts actual weddings. Despite objections from several of us over the cost, the shower went ahead as planned, each bridesmaid contributing $600. Yes, that's six hundred American, for the privilege of watching Princess sit there and look excited over lingerie and toaster ovens. My wife was also asked to chip in for a cash gift at the shower but we had to draw the line (and we were broke from paying for the shower). With my wife's dress, chipping in for the limo/booze, and their gift we paid over a grand for that wedding. It pisses me off to this day (if that was not obvious). Worst of all, we both helped out with various tasks like stocking the limo and their suite, and never received thanks of any kind.

Getting married is an exciting time but you can't act like (other peoples') money is no object, or that family and friends should gladly become your unpaid servants. A simple acknowledgement and heartfelt thanks for our time, effort and expenditures would have gone a long way.

your wife should have told her brother that she would contribute $600 to pay to get him a membership in an online dating site so that he could find somebody else to marry

Put bluntly, no fn way do I give up $600 for a "ritzy" wedding shower. I don't care who calls me cheap or puts my name on the list. In fact, put my name on the list and never invite me to another fn event in your life again.

What amazes me is the difference between what is "the norm" in a wedding gift in NY/NY and the rest of the country. If you go with the cover your plate theory you are going for at least 250-300 to attend a wedding in NJ. If invited to a friends wedding you go for a min of 250 here and if you are in the party or best man or something chances are you go for 500 in a wedding gift.

I am best man for a buddy of mine that is getting married in June. I have been like brothers with this guy since we are 10. I happily gave him 100 when they got engaged, I paid 148 for his room in New orleans for his bachelor party , and I plan on putting 500 in his envelope come wedding day

Edited by whomper

What amazes me is the difference between what is "the norm" in a wedding gift in NY/NY and the rest of the country. If you go with the cover your plate theory you are going for at least 250-300 to attend a wedding in NJ. If invited to a friends wedding you go for a min of 250 here and if you are in the party or best man or something chances are you go for 500 in a wedding gift.

I am best man for a buddy of mine that is getting married in June. I have been like brothers with this guy since we are 10. I happily gave him 100 when they got engaged, I paid 148 for his room in New orleans for his bachelor party , and I plan on putting 500 in his envelope come wedding day

And that is your choice. I see a difference between willingly giving a close friend a nice wedding gift and arranging a wedding shower with a $600 buy in over the objections of several of the wedding party--some of whom may not have had that kind of $$ to drop.

And that is your choice. I see a difference between willingly giving a close friend a nice wedding gift and arranging a wedding shower with a $600 buy in over the objections of several of the wedding party--some of whom may not have had that kind of $$ to drop.

Oh I agree with you 100 %. I wasnt making a specific comparison to the situation in this thread , I just find it strange how different the gift giving amounts that are "expected" or "normal" vary so greatly in different parts of the country.

I just find it strange how different the gift giving amounts that are "expected" or "normal" vary so greatly in different parts of the country.

The difference is that in other parts of the country, the bridal party is not expected to have to cover the groom's hair gel and tanning lotion expenses.