[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Work is sending me to Boston for 4 days!

Seahawks21

So work is sending me to Boston for the PGA show in early March (melt snow, melt!). Never been there. What should I make a point to do/see? Keep in mind that I'll be working during the days, so any activities are things I will have to do at night. I'm gonna try to see a Celtics game if they are in town. What else ya got? I'm a big museum/history guy as well.

Edited by Seahawks21

Couple of faves - the Green Dragon Tavern (founding fathers met there) and the Union Bay Oyster House - the oldest operating restaurant in the US - pretty cool & good grub. Those two places are right near each other on the same block.

I also really like a tavern called the Black Rose - great food and terrific live music.

the Union Bay Oyster House - the oldest operating restaurant in the US - pretty cool & good grub.

I was in Boston last October, and made a beeline for the Union Oyster House. Went in and asked the hostess what the market price on lobstah was. She said a pound and a quarter lobster was $28. Suspicious. . .so I walked out and went 3 doors to the left, to a pub I can't remember the name of. Walked in and asked the hostess there the same question. "Pound and a quarter lobster is $11 and comes with your choice of potato" :wacko: I told her how much Union Oyster House wanted. She said "Uh, yeah, it's a tourist trap". The $11 lobster was delicious, and the mashed potatoes were the best I've ever had.

Also, earlier that day I had a clam chowder in a bread bowl inside Quincy Market. $7, tasted fantastic, and if you can somehow finish the whole thing you'll be full all day.

The USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) is here. Also, The Freedom Trail will help you hit most other historical sites.

Fanuel Hall is over-rated, but can be fun. There are lots of old pubs in that area.

The Christian Science building has some neat stuff.

There's a ton of good food. The Union Oyster House is expensive for what you get, but it is the oldest restaurant...if that matters to you.

The North End is good for late night coffee and if you want Italian.

So work is sending me to Boston for the PGA show in early March (melt snow, melt!).

:wacko: Good one. We have snow until late April most years.

Most of the historical sites are only open during the day so you may miss most of what you'd really want to see.

Oyster House is way overrated. Grabbing a spot at the tilted raw bar and watching the guy shuck oysters is pretty cool and the draft beer is freezing cold but other than a half dozen oysters, I wouldn't eat there. $$$

Quincy Market is a hoot if you don't mind crowds of crazy people bargaining over produce. "A dozen oranges for $1? How about 50 cents?" It's pretty funny to walk through.

Waterfront will be cold but worth wandering through.

The Duck Boat tour is good but I'm not sure what their hours are.

PM if you decide to take in a C's game. There won't be tickets available at the window as they are sold out but I have many contacts.

The USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) is here. Also, The Freedom Trail will help you hit most other historical sites.

Fanuel Hall is over-rated, but can be fun. There are lots of old pubs in that area.

The Christian Science building has some neat stuff.

There's a ton of good food. The Union Oyster House is expensive for what you get, but it is the oldest restaurant...if that matters to you.

The North End is good for late night coffee and if you want Italian.

Definitely eat dinner one night in the North end.

Couple of things...

you're into Museums. The Museum of Fine Arts is pretty nice. Always has some cool exhibits.

You do need to head to the North End for some food. My reccomendations for dinner would be Giacomo's, right on Hanover St. Great food. Then for dessert, head to Mike's Pastry right down the street for a cannoli or two.

all good suggestion above

Museum of Fine Arts used to be free on Wed nights, not sure if it still is.

The Gardner Museum is also a very cool place.

After you eat in the North End (a must) take a stroll through beautiful Beacon Hill (old Boston, MEGABUCK$ Brahman neighborhood)

or Newbury Street (high end stores)

Top of the Prudential building has a birds eye view deck, great city light view at night.

Legal Seafood, can't go wrong there....best 'chowda' imo

Take the 'T', subway over to Kenmore Square, then walk up to Fenway Park (5 minute walk) it's pretty cool

to walk around the ol' ballpark even at night. And, the backside is Lansdowne St, full of nightlife, clubs and music.

if you're driving, good luck :wacko: it's as bad as it's reputation.

Only one small thing to add: if you're thinking of visiting the original ie inspiration for "Cheers" (aka Bull and Finch Pub)......don't. Looks nothing like Cheers inside, in fact is this dinky little hole. I guess if you wanted to go to say you went and get the t shirt or something but IMO aint worth it.

PS how much to have you whiz on a NE jersey while yer there :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

Thanks fellas! Exactly what I was looking for. :wacko:

I definitely want to take in the JFK libary, and it sounds like I'll definitely head to the north end for an evening or two. Vinatieri, I've got a rep looking into some tickets, but I'll certainly hit you up if he comes up empty (gotta try to get the free ones first!). I heard to pass on the Cheers thing, but I'll definitely pee on any Brady spamshirts I come across. Good stuff guys. I'm going to build a tentative plan in a few days, then I'll post it here so some of you locals can fill in the gaps. Thanks again.

Boston is a very walkable town, take advantage of this and walk to as many of the locations as you can, it's the best way to explore this city.

My recommendations -

One evening go to Cambridge...start in Harvard Square, ideally before sunset as there are some great old buildings and historical plaques in this area. After checking out the campus walk down Mass ave toward Central Square (or take the subway one stop)...Central Square is the bohemian center of Cambridge, so you'll get a very different vibe for just a 10 minute walk.

Three spots for dinner in Central Square - Craigie on Main, great french bistro, the new location for one of Boston's best restaurants the Craigie Street Bistro. Rendesvouz...great cocktails, very friendly staff, good US/Med cuisine. Lastly Central Kitchen, very small menu, but solid, great wines and beers by the glass and some of the friendliest bartenders in Boston.

If you got to Central earlier than 5 PM I'd recommend checking out the MIT Museum, very cool stuff there.

Another Night

I completely agree with pig that a stroll down newbury street is a good time, I'd start on the Mass ave end (grungier, vinyl stories, etc) down to the end with the Boston Commons where you get into the super high end boutiques...If you like art there is a great classic poster store on Newbury the International Poster Gallery. I'd probably combine this walk with a trip over to the Garden to see the C's if you could.

North End Night

Lot of nice little restaraunts in the North End as others have mentioned, two are unique and I highly recommend. First, Neptune Oyster Bar, might be the best seafood restaraunt in the city right now. Tiny place, seafood with an new italian slant, great wine selection, great beer selection, and a good bar. Not a huge menu, but if you are going to eat a lobster roll on your trip out here, this is the place you go for that.

Second would be Taranta on Hanover Street. It's a green/sustainable restaraunt and the cuisine is a combo of Peruvian and Italian, very good, nice vibe and reasonably priced.

For classic italian the place I most highly recommend is Antico Forno, but it's very small and often crowded, and if you are dining alone it's a bit of a tough experience I would imagine.

As far as over by Fenway, there really isn't a lot to see or do in that area, yes there are a few night clubs, but they are wicked cheesy and nothing you wouldn't see in any other city.

Legal Seafoods as many have mentioned is a very solid restaurant, your not going to go wrong with anything you order there, at the same time nothing is going to blow you away either.

If there is a specific type of food you'd be looking for post it up here and I'll be happen to give you more recommendations...given your going to be out mostly nights the museums and historical sites get a bit tougher as many close at 5-6.

WD