[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waterproof Boots

keggerz

I have had the worst luck when it comes to boots lately.

I had a pair of Timberland White Ledge Mid Hiker boots that were waterproof...emphasis on WERE

One day both of my feet were sorta wet and I thought well maybe it was sweat...but then

a week or so later I stepped in the water at the edge of the river (only about 1" submerged) and

my feet ended up soaked...so I took them back to Timberland to inquire about the "warranty" on them...

they asked for a receipt....The boots were like 18 months old so I didn't have a receipt...long story short

the store couldn't do anything for me. That is other than offer me a discount on a new pair...Outside of

leaking the boots were in great shape...I got corporate customer services number and they gave me an RTV

to send them in for them to look at to see if they should be replaced due to manufacturers defect :oldrolleyes:

So I needed a new pair of boots and found a pair of Rockports that were waterproof and they were at a great price

so I jumped on them...they were great and kept my feet extremely dry...even after stepping in the water about 3" deep

or so...that is for about 6 weeks...with these past snows one day my feet were drenched and it wasn't sweat....took them

back and all they would do was refund my money....

That takes me to my current pair, Sorel Timberwolf http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2007/11/08/sore...f-winter-boots/

found them at the Columbia store...these things are great...sorta....they are waterproof and they are also insulated with Thinsulate...

but that is where the problem sorta is...they are so warm that they do make my feet sweat (never had this problem before)....

So I am looking for recommendations on some nice waterproof boots...would prefer them to be waterproof a bit taller if at all possible..if that makes any sense.

Oh and comfort and price do matter too.

Edited by keggerz

I had a great pair of water-proof boots, but I found that I often came across a creek/stream that was just deep enough to come over the top of the boot and, ya know, at that point, nothing is water proof.

I wound up carrying plastic bags with me just in case and even started some hikes wearing the bags... boot, bag, sock, foot. No matter how soaked my boots got, my feet stay dry and warm enough.

So, what I'm suggesting is rather 'unsophisticated', but if you like a pair of boots -- broken in nicely, comfortable, good traction -- then just wear bags (newspaper bags were the best, but I don't get the paper delivered any more -- over your socks and accept the teasing from friends.

I hiked many 14ers and many miles and haven't had blisters or discomfort in years.

I wear them at work much of the time so bags are pretty much out...and I am usually only in water or wet grass etc that is around 3" max but the reason I want something a bit taller (the Sorels are perfect except for the sweat bands I am getting while wearing them) is for the occasion where I step in 4-5" or so.

EDIT: I guess what I find funny with the Waterproof Sorel boots is that they are so insulated that they make your feet wet from sweating...and they only have 200g of Thinsulate so that isn't a ton by any stretch

EDIT 2: the other thing I like alot about the Sorel boots is the materials they use because there are times when I am trecking around to take pics that I step in some nasty mud and much and the Sorels are easily sprayed off for cleaning too

Edited by keggerz

how about this then (another non-sophisticated solution)... take the boots that you love and melt candle wax over them so the wax seeps in good and tight -- put your boots in the over at 200* for about 15 mins so they're warm enough to absorb the wax. A friend did this and had success. I've only tried it on seams and it seemed to work.

I'm not saying to NOT look for the right boots, but I've never found really water-proof boots that fit my foot just right. And for me, "fit" is always the first and foremost in my selection of hiking boots, ski boots, bicycles, whatever. So I try to make them work.

You can also buy various water-proofing additives that could work too... if you don't find the right boots for you.

I have no suggestion beyond tall bags for 4-5" of water :wacko:

Good luck in your search. I hope you find your boots.

I assume that you're wearing synthetic material socks, yeah?

I honestly do not know

I used to be the sales rep for Danner, one of the leaders in Gore-tex footwear.

If your feet sweat easily don't get G-tex. They are waterproof/breathable, but G-tex doesn't work that well in footwear. G-tex is very waterproof in footwear but hardly breathable. You'll "wet out" meaning you will get wet from the inside out. Plus your feet will overheat. There is not enough surface area in footwear for the G-tex membrane to turn water to vapor. Only use G-tex footwear in cold/low humidity climates. They don't work well at all in humid climates.

Your best bet is to buy a good leather or fabric leather boot and treat it with a good waterproof agent that also allows the boot to breathe. The best brands are Nikwax and Granger. Stay away from Tectron-it will ruin your boots over long term. They use a petroleum solvent that delaminates glues (where your sole is glued to the upper) and are harsh on leather. My husband and my X-C boots both delamed on a backcountry X-C trip once, right after treating with Tectron, and only got back to the car because we always carry duct tape, and ended up taping our soles back on.

If you still have your boots, go and treat them with Nikwax or Granger. You will be amazed at how well it works. Your boots will be like new. The products can be found at most specialty outdoor stores including REI. You need to treat the boots about once a year since in footwear the solvent will wear or abrade off more quickly than outerwear.

If you have waterproof/breathable outerwear don't throw it away if it no longer keeps you dry (including gloves). Retreat with Nikwax or Granger. All waterproof/breathable outerwear comes with a DWR (durable water resistant) coating on the outside shell that helps bead up water. The DWR will eventually abrade or wash off (especially in the washing machine). The waterproof breathable membrane or infused treatment (depending on what the manufacture uses) will not work if the DWR is worn off, since a lot of water on the outside of the garment will overtax the membrane. Most people don't know this, and the manufacturers do not tell you this. Maybe because they'd rather you buy a new garment?

I give advice here on occassion as the "dog trainer" on the forum, but I actually know more about backpacking and mountaineering equip. I have been a dog trainer for 6 years, but was a sales rep in the outdoor industry for 20 years, and in the industry for 25, including roles as a design consult. :wacko:

I'd invest in some good socks. $15 for socks seems absurd, but it really is a good investment.

Do you have an REI near you? They guarantee their products for years and their staff are usually outdoor geeks who live it.

The best socks ever made are Bridgedale. They are expensive and hard to find but for fit, comfort, state of the art blend of materials, and durability, they are incredible. They have a three year gurantee to not wear out, but do cost $15 + a pair. I buy them at www.sierratradingpost.com where they do often have closeouts or cosmetic seconds at 30-40 % off. I have pairs that are 10 years old and not worn out. I wear them every day as casual, fitness, hiking, and ski socks. The only reason I buy new ones is because I lose a sock. They are way better than Smartwool which is the brand most recognized in that price point.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

I was like, "damn, she knows more than I do!"

Then I saw where you live and that makes sense :wacko:

(we have a Sierra Trading post less than 2 hours away and every few years, we make a run up there and buy up stuff :D)

Sierra Trading Post was my customer when their headquarters were in Reno. Then they moved to WY and out of my territory. That move cost me 15K a year in commission.

I can't add much to what Sugar Mag said. Nikwax works great. I tend not to go with a mass market boot like Redwing or Timberland. I usually opt for a hiking boot, even for general use. I currently have a pair of leather Vasque Skywalks w/goretex and some Technicas for less intense hiking. Hell, even my daily wear shoes are Merrill Continuums. In other words, don't skimp on your footwear.

When I lived in Fargo, I wore the Sorel Caribou or whatever the 1980s version was called. Never had any problems with my feet sweating but my feet had the opposite problem, they'd get cold once in late October and wouldn't warm up again until late April. I loved those boots. Lasted forever, when I moved down here, I gave them to an ex-girlfriend's little brother.