[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vegtable Gardening 2010

Footballjoe

I worked in my veggie garden site today. I removed the old timber that made my raised beds. Due to a lack of funds I only replaced one of them today. I used treated 2 x 10 x 12's and made a box 6 ft x 12 ft. I will be able to start planting some cool weather crops next weekend according to the local Feed and Seed Store. I am ready for some fresh salad, onions and the like. Hopefully I will get another side hustle or two in the next couple of weeks so I can continue to replace the bed boxes. I want 6 in all. I also hope to buy some strawberry jars, perhaps 2 would suffice. Happy gardening. :wacko:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting a vegetable garden for the first time this year . . any advice is very helpful . .

We have a lot of people that do vegetable gardens here. I learned a lot from fellow huddlers.

I have a question. Last year, due to massive continuous rain all summer, my garden got a blight. Yield was mediocre. Does that fungus live in the soil and will it cause me problems this year or did it basically die off in the winter ?

This year I am trying something a little funky. A buddy told me about volcanic ash and how it is loaded with nutrients and helps gardens explode. I have to research how to apply it etc but I am going to give it a shot.

Edited by whomper

Last year sucked compared to two years ago for me as well. I blame it on trying to go from seed and failing...although in truth it was the weather. I'm just buying the seedlings this year. Seeds are way too much work for me. I always wanted to try it and probably won't ever again.

Last year sucked compared to two years ago for me as well. I blame it on trying to go from seed and failing...although in truth it was the weather. I'm just buying the seedlings this year. Seeds are way too much work for me. I always wanted to try it and probably won't ever again.

I have a big 3 season porch that I was going to "try" and start from seed, and then transplant outside when they were strong enough. I have no idea if it will work or not . .:wacko: my groundskeeper is very helpful when it comes to growing bentgrass and fescue, but not as helpful when taking tomatoes and red peppers . . .

For new gardeners the most helpful advice I can give is: COMPOST, COMPOST and COMPOST. This is the life blood of the plant. I have a compost pile and also get a pickup truck full every year. I do not need to fertilize and usually get very good results.

Whomp, be careful about using to much ash. I saw on a garden show how it can be harmful. I remember that ash from a charcoal grill was a no no but no sure about the ash you were talking about. Research it well and let us know what you find and how it works.

Bad year all around last year.

+1. My tomato yield in '09 was half what I got in '08. Strawberry patch was infested with slugs from all the rain. Spinach drowned. Snap peas didn't have a chance.

If the snow ever melts I'll be heading out to the compost heap and getting started. But for now it's still a mess out there.

Have you ever noticed that if you grow tomatoes, you can't give enough of them away? How many tomatoes is too many? 3? 4?

Actually it just the opposite for me. I know plenty of people who love to get fresh tomatoes. Especially the older ones and those who do not have gardens. When my neighbor use to garden he always carried his extras to the food bank.

Have you ever noticed that if you grow tomatoes, you can't give enough of them away? How many tomatoes is too many? 3? 4?

Last year, because the yield was so low, was the first year in a long time that I didnt give tons of veggies away. I go around to my neighbors periodically and drop off a bunch of stuff. I like to plant a big garden for the enjoyment of it and of course the good veggies but I always have tons extra. My family is set all summer and I usually have enough to hook everybody up a few times a year.

For new gardeners the most helpful advice I can give is: COMPOST, COMPOST and COMPOST. This is the life blood of the plant. I have a compost pile and also get a pickup truck full every year. I do not need to fertilize and usually get very good results.

Whomp, be careful about using to much ash. I saw on a garden show how it can be harmful. I remember that ash from a charcoal grill was a no no but no sure about the ash you were talking about. Research it well and let us know what you find and how it works.

Speaking of composting, my pile is cold and has been for a couple months. Is that normal in winter (mild NC winter at that)? What can I do to jump start it?

Speaking of composting, my pile is cold and has been for a couple months. Is that normal in winter (mild NC winter at that)? What can I do to jump start it?

Mine has stayed warm even under piles of snow; I use shredded leaves and kitchen scraps and I turn it frequently. I don't think it's necessarily cause for concern if your pile is not warm. You can always add fresh materials to it which will start the process. How big is the pile and what do you have in it?

Today I put a good mixture of salad / spinach plants in the ground. Maybe about (18) in all. They should be ready to eat in no time. I will plant some seeds soon ( a mixed pack).

I also planted (6) broccoli plants, (3) cilantro plants, (3) cabbage and transplanted some onions that were coming up from last year.

I will plant more cabbage, broccoli and other stuff later but didn't want everything maturing at once. :wacko:

My garden area is the last piece of my backyard puzzle. I have an area all layed out, and will start breaking ground next weekend (if it doesn't rain like it has the last 2 weekends). Gonna build a garden bed (about 75 foot long), stucco it once it's done. Put in a stepping stone walkway and gravel the rest (got most of the materials left over from the backyard makeover).

I should be planting in 2-3 weeks.....

Today I planted (9) cauliflower plants and about 75 onions. Don't know why they make them onion packs so big? I wanted to plant some brussel spouts but HD did not have any.

I also laid black plastic over the area I am going to expand my garden to kill off the weeds and grass. At least that what I am attempting. I will wait a couple of weeks then pull it up and build my boxes.

My garden may be on hold this year if we sell the house.

+1. Looking forward to the longer growing season in California though! Hello fresh tomatoes in October.... :wacko:

Will probably be building beds from scratch - the land there is rocky and lacking nutrition unless we buy down on the flood plain.

This year we're putting in a little over 1 acre of garden. Plus 12 4'x12' raised beds. We are also working on getting a root cellar built. Everything from Jerusalem artichokes to zucchini squash. This will be a GREAT year!

• 1 month later...

I lost so much of my crop last year due to various problems (slugs, too much rain, transplant shock), so this year I did double redundancy on everything:

Tomatoes: Sewed about 25 plants straight into the ground from seed, started about 30 plants in seed starters, and I'm going to go to the nursery next week and get some baby plants

Eggplant: Sewed 10 plants straight into the ground from seed, started another 10 plants in seed starters

Spinach: Did about 40 seeds straight into the ground, another 15 plants in pots, and another 20 in seed starters.

I worked in my veggie garden site today. I removed the old timber that made my raised beds. Due to a lack of funds I only replaced one of them today. I used treated 2 x 10 x 12's and made a box 6 ft x 12 ft. I will be able to start planting some cool weather crops next weekend according to the local Feed and Seed Store. I am ready for some fresh salad, onions and the like. Hopefully I will get another side hustle or two in the next couple of weeks so I can continue to replace the bed boxes. I want 6 in all. I also hope to buy some strawberry jars, perhaps 2 would suffice. Happy gardening. :wacko:

looking to do the same...is it possible to get a pic?

Oh, and a strange thing happened: I started weeding out the planters a few weeks ago and noticed a few strange but familiar looking things growing. Gave the tops a taste and yup. . .I've got about 10 scallion plants growing in 2 of my planters.

I've never planted scallions in my life.

Where did they come from??

A buddy told me about volcanic ash and how it is loaded with nutrients and helps gardens explode.

You are better off adding vermiculite that has been treated with plant/vegetable food...volcanic ash does hold nutrients but it also holds lead, mercury, and other heavy metals. Plants reject most of these but depending on the content do get concentrations of these metals within their systems. But like ash, vermiculite will hold water/air extremely well which will help your plants tremendously.

This is why it can be very bad to smoke that stuff in Hawaii... :wacko:

Edited by ABearWithFurniture